I wouldn’t have gone to et al. collaborative had I not expanded my internship search and looked for openings on sites beyond craigslist.com. As mentioned on a previous blog post, looking for an internship is very difficult and getting one is easy. I haven’t had the greatest luck prior to et al. collaborative and if it wasn’t for Meigan, the hiring recruiter and marketing head behind et al. collaborative’s New York division. She contacted me as soon as I sent in my resume and cover letter. We emailed each other back and forth, picking out a proper date for my interview at et al. collaborative and it landed on a Monday.

As soon as the internship class ended on that day, I ran out of the school, jumped on the quickest train and hoped that I would make it to the interview on time. I got off the Bedford Avenue Station and walked down a few blocks to the building where they were based at. I was admittedly nervous, and slightly afraid, both for being in an area unfamiliar to me and nervous for my interview with Meigan. I stood there and froze for a moment, looking back at the bad luck that I’ve experienced in the past year. I hesitated to ring the doorbell and dare I say, almost considered turning back to school but I manned up and rang it. Meigan answered and told me to come up. I met her right in front of the door and she was most courteous with me.

Manu’s studio was a lot different than what I expected it to be, given that the building looked like something straight out of the 80’s era South Bronx. It was nice, clean and full of books and architectural magazines. I said my hellos to everyone, placed my things on the floor and sat down on the couch. I gave a copy of my resume, cover letter and sample portfolio. The interview began with a review of the resume and work that I’ve shown them, such as the posters that I’ve done for 65 Fen in my Design Team class.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 12.07.32 PM

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 12.07.41 PMScreen Shot 2015-03-26 at 12.07.52 PMScreen Shot 2015-03-26 at 12.08.01 PM

I offered an explanation on my work, citing the need to create a series of posters that could advertise the rich myriad of affordable wine that Fen offered to its costumers in. The challenge was trying to avoid the standard trope of wine advertising and use sexist imagery to promote wine. It was difficult, I mentioned in the interview, until I decided to use a combination of typography, flags and different languages to create something great. Meigan and Manu both found them to be great, from a design standpoint and liked how the type fit into the shape of the wine glass.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 3.09.41 PM

Another project that they liked was the one that I did for my Communication Design II class last semester: the “Bring Out Your Potential” campaign for Gerber baby food. As I explained to them, Gerber is different from previous projects that I’ve done because the brands that I’ve worked on had the problem of needing a solution that would bring them to the top, ahead of the competition. This project was on a brand that already was on the top of its game and put a spin on how its products are advertised. I focused on how Gerber products can bring out the hidden potential in a kid. The guys at et al. collaborative just loved it.

I showed them other projects that I’ve done in my previous classes as well as some stuff that I did while freelancing. They were impressed and for the most part, the questions I was asked on the interview were relating to the work that I demonstrated. What brought me to these design decisions? I explained and so they ask: what is my background? What brought me to choose graphic design as my career choice? Prior to coming to City Tech, I studied architecture at the New York Institute of Technology before I knew it wasn’t for me and transferred out to CUNY. In an odd twist of fate, I learned that Manu, the other person interviewing me, is a professor at the college and had I continued, I may have had him teach me.

The dialogue that I shared with Meigan and Manu was less like a formal interview as the minutes went by and more like an conversation. We discussed our backgrounds and the relationship that graphic design and architecture with each other. It is both functional and conceptual. Both aren’t opposites but sides on the same coin. They both require drafting skills and a creative mind to come with innovative design, whether it’s for a new building coming up  or a new way to advertise Jersey Italian Gravy.

The oddest thing that came up during the interview was towards the end when things were wrapping about. They seemed satisfied with my answers to their questions as I was satisfied with their description of the company, work culture and the projects that they do in addition to what I would expect to do working alongside Manu for the next three months. They offered me several packets full of pita bread to bring home. They didn’t admit it in front of me but I had a good feeling that they liked me and would call me back.

url

I said my goodbyes to Meigan, Manu and Jose and left the building with the pita bread in my backpack. In my mind, I knew that we saw potential in each other and that we could both do good for the other. I did apply to other places, just in case, but never with the expectation that I would go there. I knew that I found my niche and little else could convince me otherwise. As soon as I got home, I made sure I sent them a thank you email for granting me the opportunity to speak with them.

About a week passed by until I received an email from Meigan, telling me that they made a decision and that I would be accepted to take part in the graphic design internship. What does it entail? In the email, I’m responsible to archive five years’ worth of work from students that Manu has taught and create a well-tuned system to organize them. Once that was done (and is done), I would create a cover design and layout for a printed academic portfolio, in the style of an architecture book. In addition, I would assist Manu, my supervisor and the head of et al. collaborative, in creating and setting up an exhibition at the NYIT Westbury campus.

As I write this entry, it has been three full weeks since I have started at et al. collaborative and it’s been a trip. Although the responsibilities put on me are great, I feel like it’s an opportunity to do great, especially with the informal, collaborative work culture in the company but more on that soon.