End of a Semester

Dear Readers,

Well, the semester is slowly coming to an end and I wanted to discuss what’s coming up for the next semester of my legal journey. I know that this blog hasn’t covered the earlier classes, but eventually I hope to get that knocked out so you can get a full picture of my time here.

This semester I took only two law classes, Real Estate Law and Legal Research. I would have taken more but the pre-requirement for a majority of the classes was Legal Research.

In Real Estate Law we looked at how the law interacts with real property. More specifically; the buying, selling, and owning of real property. This class started off a little slow with some annoying legal concepts of different types of real property ownership but, eventually, it picked up. Pretty soon we started looking at how everything came together in the contracts that dictate the terms of a sale and I found myself greatly enjoying that aspect of the law. Contracts of sale are not controlled by the law, they are only enforced by the law if and when the need arises. Once we established how everything is connected, it all came together for me and I found it quite interesting.

Legal Research, on the other hand, was a little more troublesome. We focused on the proper methods of citing cases and doing the legal research that is required of my chosen profession. It is designed to be straight forward and logical but until you are in that mindset, it just feels daunting and like your in way over your head. Ultimately, I managed to figure out how to go about doing the research and while it may be time consuming or tedious there is just something about it that I enjoy.

Next semester should see an increase in the workload. I will be taking; Estates, Wills and Trusts, Family Law, Legal Research II, Law through Literature and Business Organization. I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress!