The Uses of Neighborhoods

Jane Jacobs discusses in her book some of the uses of a neighborhood in a city. As I was reading I noticed some of the points she made in a way foreshadowed what we are currently experiencing with gentrification. For example: city officials try to make an “ideal” neighborhood by making it a place that contains mix uses. Today, many of the places such as Gowanus have structures going up but now include public esplanades that cater to those in the neighborhood. Jacobs also talks about how a neighborhood should have a strong local support in order to fight the city when it comes to unwanted renovations in their areas.  Being in contact with your local assemblyman and attending board/community meetings is a way to make your voice heard. I agree with this because I have seen firsthand what can happen if a neighborhood doesn’t have a strong local government supporting it. For a neighborhood to survive, it’s streets need to survive since the streets make up the neighborhood and in a way give it its identity.