Bronx, New York

My name is Karla Patrone, I am an Architecture Technology major at NYCCT. I live in the Bronx on 167 street in a six story building , across the street is an elementary school and to the left of my building there is a large park. Because I live in such proximity to the Yankee stadium during the games of events there is a lot of traffic in my area because those going to the game they park their cars around my house and walk to the stadium from there. I would say my neighborhood is urban, there are other residential buildings on my street and a small deli. Many families with young children live in my neighborhood so they take advantage of the park being so close. My neighborhood is noisy with the train running above ground behind my building to the kids getting out of school, also all the music coming from the BBQ’s in the park especially during the Spring and Summer time. There are stores in my area , restaurants, fast food places ,supermarkets , barber shops , laundromats, Delis , 99cent stores , a furniture store and they recently opened a gym. Transportation is important in my neighborhood I have the 4 train on my same street and one city bus. Then the B and D train are a 3-5 minute walk to Grand Concourse as well as two more city buses. Another option I have is walk to 161st street to take the D or B train if I have time to spare and I don’t want to walk up the hill.

I live on the fourth floor in such proximity to the trains that at night time or early morning I hear the train announcements from my bedroom. One of the prices you pay for living in the city is the noise that comes included. I wouldn’t say my neighborhood is changing because there are no new developments going up it was just the new gym and that structure only goes up two stories so it blends in with the area.  The tallest buildings are apartment buildings that only go up six stories in my immediate neighborhood. I have lived in the Bronx for majority of my life. My family and I moved into our current apartment in 2009. We have seen the neighborhood grow and prosper. When we first moved the crime rate was bad and it was a dangerous place to live with many gangs and members of various groups. Throughout the years security and police were present to improve the quality of life. Their presence was essential to have those gang members either moved away or get arrested. Currently my neighborhood is safe and those living in it can walk in peace at all hours. Living in the Bronx has taught me the importance of family and community. It has also shown me that with the right tools an area can improve for the better for all those living in it. There are many resources out there that can aid a struggling area, information of those resources should be advertised more in my opinion so that struggling neighborhoods get the aid they need.