Unit 2 Annotated bibliography

Made in China

Luis Gonzalez

Why are so many products made in China?

I am interested in this question because you look at mostly any product in the U.S., and most products in the store say “made in China”.  And this has made me curious on why it says made in China when there are so many other countries. Why do other countries not produce products? This question to me is very confusing and would like to get to the bottom of it.

When I researched the question “Why are so many US products made in China”. This then led me to find examples of why or what makes China make all these products. What does China have that these other countries don’t have? I do know that China has cheaper labor but why is that? What caused it? This can maybe be proven by the data. I found reasons why this is happening and what is the U.S. doing? As well as how other countries are approaching this same situation. Maybe even the consequences that are coming from this situation or the solution to this problem. To ultimately get a better understanding of this question, “Why are so many products made in China”? If I find any sources that contradict my thesis, I will include them as source material, This means”,” I will not throw this idea away; I will continue this idea and expand on it. I would not change my assumptions; I think one needs to stick with their original position”,” but learn to add to it as well.  I have a couple of genres that helped me understand the question I had better. “Why are so many US products made in China”.  The genres that I used are two articles one market research and a book. I think these are really good sources because they have a lot of information related to this topic. And would help us understand some of the reasons why the U.S. has so many products made in China

Sources Entries:

“Sabri Ben-Achour and Pak, Jennifer”. “Manufacturing: The China Inc. Model.” Marketplace, 2 Feb.  2021, https://www.marketplace.org/2021/02/02/manufacturing-the-china-inc-model/.

Let’s start with Jennifer Pak and Sabri Ben-Anchor, From Market place.org, who wrote the article “Manufacturing: The China inc. model”. They state That “Infrastructure must be capable of supporting the efficient export of goods, and the government is needed to facilitate this, according to Wen. China’s government invested heavily in infrastructure and building markets to support domestic industries”. So what I took from the article was that China has invested heavily in their future to prepare and to be better prepared, for other countries to come to them for manufacturing. The statement made by Jennifer Pak and Sabri Ben-Anchor is That the “Industrialization ladder To the question, why doesn’t the U.S. produce certain things — specifically, cheap goods like face masks or other personal protective gear, to the alarm of many Americans during the pandemic — labor is one part of the complex answer. The U.S. is a wealthy country, and labor is expensive — too expensive to competitively make cheap labor-intensive products”.  This proves to us that the U.S has problems with its manufacturing infrastructure. These problems are that in the U.S. workers have rights such as minimum wage and a workplace free of dangerous conditions. From this article we can see that they are expressing to us that the U.S. is not like third-world countries that live in poverty, life in the U.S. is very decent, and therefore the U.S. can’t produce goods that are cheap because people in the U.S. have rights and their labor is more expensive. Compared to China which had prepared and is well suited to producing cheaper items faster and easier. so, it’s more convenient for us to go to China and produce products that are cheap products. And this is since they will still be able to sell them at cheaper prices than what they would sell if it was made in the United States. So, then this tells us that ultimately companies choose to manufacture in China because of way too many regulations in the United States. Also, for us Americans, it doesn’t end up affecting our internal right to the labor market.

Eltschinger, Cyrill. “Source Code China: The New Global Hub of IT Outsourcing.” Source Code China, 1st ed., John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2007, pp. xxiii–xxiii, https://doi.org/10.1604/9780470195437.

most products in the U.S. say made in China as I discovered by the book “The new global Hub of it outsourcing” By Etching, Cyril. They state in their extensive research “China is positioning? itself for leadership in this growing area.”-William G. Parrett Chief Executive Officer, Deloitte, May 2007″In his book, Cyril Etching addresses? An important? Perspective: China is not only ‘the factory of the world,’ it is? Also becoming a major technology services hub. For all of us, it is a fascinating experience to participate in this impressive evolution.”-Josef M. Mueller Chairman & CEO, Nestle (China) Lt CONFERENCE PROCEEDING” This shows us how the authors of “The new global Hub of it outsourcing” made investigations, analyzed date made experiments on why and how China is producing most of the products in the U.S., They even went to the extent of talking to Josef M. Mueller Chairman & CEO, Nestle who produces and manufactures all different types of technology. China is becoming the center of the tech world as it was just proven”,” they are ready and setup up for us businesses to just take their ideas and the Chinese factories get it done. And this is because they are set up in a way that makes it easier for U.S. companies to get their products done in a simpler way than if it was done back home. For example, in the book, it stated the factories are set up in a way in which they have produced technology in a way not seen before they could produce prototypes in days compared to in the U.S. where they take weeks to get it done. It also stated that in China they have villages dedicated to building certain products. Let’s say with phones if a prototype requires a certain piece of tech they can get it, in a matter of hours they have a huge variety of technology pieces at their disposal. Which makes it so convenient there is no way the U.S. could compete with that.

Ding, Ming Lei, et al. “Research on the Building of the Chinese National Manufacturing Innovation Center Based on the Industrial Technology Alliances.” 2016 35th Chinese Control Conference (CCC), TCCT, 2016, pp. 9451–56, https://doi.org/10.1109/ChiCC.2016.7554856.

A conference proceeding also stated that the requirement of “Made in China 2025”, it is an important task for the construction of Chinese National Manufacturing Innovation Centers. And this is based on the “Strategic Alliance on Industrial Technology Innovation (SAITI)”. They state “{Manufacturing is the country’s source for innovation of the overall industrial system. Made in China 2025 proposed  and tells us that China is going  to fully use existing scientific and technological resources to create several manufacturing innovation center.  Around the major common needs of the industry  they get this done by promoting cooperation between the government and society . which is what the United States fails to do, It is a new model of industrial innovation.  As well as a strategic alliances coordinating government, industry, academia, and university. They carry out demonstrations on major key generic technology research and industrialization. China’s strategic alliance on industrial technology innovation has made remarkable achievements to promote the industry in terms of innovation and development. It is necessary to further draw on advanced international experience, to strengthen the construction of the manufacturing innovation center. This tells us that China is ultimately focused on its  technology and on ways, how to make  their manufacturing process better. When it also stated, “SAITI is defined as a technical innovation organization consisting of companies, universities, research institutions or other organizations, based on the needs of enterprises and common interests of all parties, to enhance the ability of industrial technology innovation, with a legally binding contract to protect the joint development.[2] It has complementary advantages and is benefit-sharing and risk-sharing”. So, I think Currently, China implemented this because it is working if everyone works together then against each other. They grow together as a group, which we see that is working since the U.S. is one of the countries. That goes over to unload its problem with their products since China’s manufacturing industry is just waiting to solve the problems with so many hands-on tasks. Governments at all levels have offered great support. The Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) supports nearly 150 SAITI. According to incomplete statistics, the current number of SAITI in Beijing reaches more than 100”.  Well, It Further gave me an intensive understanding and study of the Manufacturing innovation center in the United States. It puts forward the development ideas for the promoting of SAITI and policy recommendations for the manufacturing innovation centers. 

Sung, Yun-Wing. “Made in China: From World Sweatshop to a Global Manufacturing Center?” Asian Economic Papers, vol. 6, no. 3, MIT Press, 2007, pp. 43–72, https://doi.org/10.1162/asep.2007.6.3.43.

Finally “China has amended its treatment of foreign investments to attract higher-quality foreign investment and upgrade processing exports in order to transform itself from a world sweatshop to a global manufacturing center”. As it is stated in “Made in China: From World Sweatshop to a Global Manufacturing Center?” By Sung Yun-Wing. “His paper argues that foreign investment is a second-best instrument that helps China to succeed in export-led growth by circumventing the many distortions that discriminate against domestic private enterprise”. This article proves to us that China is stepping up its skills to better compete with other countries by giving businessmen from other countries an opportunity that wasn’t given in their hometowns.  when it comes to manufacturing and producing goods China is on top because there is a better opportunity. The government supports them which only makes it easier for their foreign investors to improve and creates an expansion in their manufacturing industry. Which then leads to why the U.S. goods saying made in China. This article is important because it is from the Asian economic papers that deal with China’s data on economic information. Ultimately”,” China remains an appealing destination. And one can say that this is partly because of there investors. And due to its investment incentives in high value-added sectors, its high research and development expenditure, and its relatively stable internal political environment. Well, China is looked like a country of manufacturing; this is because they invested heavily in their future of manufacturing and have been fully equipped for manufacturing. Over the years by their foreign investors. Meanwhile, in the U.S., the companies decided to go to China instead of investing in their hometown a factor in this could be the high number of regulations in the workplace.

Why are so many products made in China? I am interested in this question because you look at mostly any product in U.S., and you see  made in China I really didn’t know why, only that labor was cheap over there but that was pretty much it. China’s government invested heavily in infrastructure and building markets to support domestic industries. So as you can see China has opened its doors up for foreign investments to attract higher-quality foreign investment and upgraded its way of processing exports to transform. China could be seen as the world’s sweatshop of the global manufacturing center. China is positioning itself for leadership in this growing area. China is not only ‘the factory of the world,’ it is also becoming a major technology services hub. China’s strategic alliance on industrial technology innovation has made remarkable achievements to promote the industry in terms of innovation and development. It is necessary to further draw on advanced international experience, to strengthen the construction of the manufacturing innovation center. This tells us that China is ultimately focused on its technology and on ways, how to make its manufacturing process better”,” which outworks U.S. factories and gives them in no way to compete. U.S.  chooses China to produce its goods since it is more convenient and better for the U.S.