Dear, Father

Dear: Father

I have recently read a Story called “The Story of An Hour” by Kate Chopin. This story made me think back to that night where you took me as your intern in the Indian camp. In this story “The Story of an Hour” the wife has to face the news of her husband death.  This story ends with and unexpected twist.  Where the wife is the one who ends up dead after, she found out her husband is still alive. Like that day on the Indian camp where things led to a horrific event. Where we first struggle in helping that Indian women and her baby survive. Then, we were over joy with the birth of the baby. And lastly, were shocked with the death of the father of the baby. Like in “The Story of An Hour” what appeared to be good news ended up in death. Both story ended with an ironic twist. Father this story made me think that live is not what it seems. Joy can represent a lot of thing to different people. This Indian man seemed like he died of joy. But, what if what he didn’t want was for this baby to be born. Maybe, like the women in the story he did not want this baby to be alive. Maybe, it represented responsibility for him. The women in the story depended on her husband for everything just like this baby would have depended on him for everything. Maybe, he died because, he was afraid of losing his freedom like the women in this story. I think that the responsibility of a new life was to overwhelming for him and that why he took his own life. Like on that day I am still confused and full of questions without any answers.   

Singly, your son Nick

I think Nick can relate to “The Story of An Hour” because he too had to face an unexpected death. He was not prepared of what was going to be unfold in the Indian camp. At, the begging of the Indian Camp story he might felt inventors even excited to be with his father in such an important journey. However, at the end he was left confuse and with so many questions. I believe that Nick in this story represents the reader’s perspective and experience as he or she is reading the story. At the end, of the story I too had many questions. The theme of this story could be that in life not everything has an answer and, sometime things just happen without any explanation.    

3 thoughts on “Dear, Father

1. Brandon Reyes

I agree with the blog because I do believe it was base on wanting to keep your freedom because in the “Story of An Hour” the wife was happy that she finally got her freedom and that she can make her own decision without her husband getting the way but the moment that she found out that her husband was not die, everything that she can finally do die with her . It was the same way with “Indian Camp” even though it wasn’t said way the husband killed himself but you can kind of put the pieces together because at the part when Nick and his father enter the bunk the husband was fine and was just smoking his pipe like most Native Americans do but the moment the baby finally came out the husband had random quilt overhead to hide the fact that he killed himself. I guess the husband love being with his wife but without the responsibility of having and take care of a baby.

2. Natalie Yeung

This is a very interesting comparing between “The Story of An Hour” and “Indian Camp”. Two stories with different author and different characteristic and different style can be link together with the topic of life and death, this is the beautiful part of fiction literature.
    I agreed with your statement in the end about how not everything in life has an explanation. And we can connect this theme to life experience all the time, when we feel like we need an explanation for something, it is because we need a closure, we need to understand the reason behind the action, so we can move on with our lives after the lost of someone. But in many cases there are no explanation. The doctor in “The Story of An Hour” have to give Mr. Mallard the reason for his wife’s death and he said it was because of joy. Mr. Mallard can interpret it as the joy of seeing he is still alive, but we all know that is not the truth, Mr. Mallard need a closure and he can believe whatever he wants.
    Both authors leaves out some detail and leave the thinking for their readers.

3. Randy.Adzadi

I agree with this blog the concept of Joy with a consequence of death seems to be very likely in these two stories. In the story of an hour the wife after going through a a phase of grief decides in accepting the fact that she’s free but with that freedom after came the shock of knowing that her husband was alive that she actually died of joy. As to the same for the Indian camp with her husband killed himself no loving his wife knowing the fact that he could not take care of the child nor did he want to besides actually kill himself though Loan in July that he actually had a child but did not want the responsibility to do so. The Joy of the two characters actually hid the fact that death was somehow inevitable for them. That style of work was a very good concept