Snapshot from The Management of Grief

In the ” The Management Of Grief, ” by Mukherjee, the author does not give us insight before hand about what is happening throughout the story. At first she leaves the reader with a mood of everyday activity however, when you countinue reading, you get more information about what is happening. For example, on the beginning of page 975, at the start of the story, the author starts of with a family just waking up in the morning describing everyday issues, trying to make the reader think that nothing else is going on. At the beggining of the story, second paragraph it say’s, “Dr. Sharma, the treasurer of the Indo-Canada Society, pulls me into the hallway. He wants to know if I am worried about money.” This proves that the story starts of with everyday issues. As you read further you find out that something happened to a plane, that it dissapeared from the radar, which gives the reader a sense of the fantastic. You also find out that the main character thinks its a hijacking. For example, on the first paragraph on page 976 it say’s, “His father called me, so I said to him, what do you mean, ‘something bad’? You mean a hijacking? This proves that the author is using plot to build tension throughout the story, by making the reader have a reality check, that there are serious things going on other than our everyday lives. The author is also using point of view to make sense of what happened to the plane because a plane disappearing from a radar is almost impossible. I can say that the author is using interplay of elements to bring forth the idea that the world does not revole around one single person. The author is also using the interplay of elements to make sense of the fantastic.