Dr. Moreau’s view of Prendick visit

This uninvited visitor, Edward Prendick, has caused me and my projects nothing but trouble. Montgomery has informed me that he has heard of my name before and was familiar with what I was experimenting on. He also seen the ears of Montgomery’s servant along with the other “special” animals on this island. At first I thought that Prendick was not going to a big deal to be worrying about, but now he might discover everything I have been doing all these years. All my life’s work will be gone to waste for nothing by just this one guy. If he finds out too much, I have to get rid of him. Then again he could prove to be very useful in my experiments. I need Montgomery to keep a close eye on our guest and to make sure that he doesn’t wander off where he is most definitely unwanted.

I wrote this monologue in the view of Dr. Moreau would have with Prendick arriving on the secluded island. I figure that the reason Dr. Moreau was on this island with no other human interactions, other than Montgomery, is that he is doing something illegal. When Prendick goes out on his own and discover the strange beast-like man on the island, I realized that those beast-like men are the experiments that Dr. Moreau has been working on. Along with the painful screams of the puma is an indication that he is working with animals. Dr. Moreau is trying to create something with some aspects of both animals and humans.

5 thoughts on “Dr. Moreau’s view of Prendick visit

1. margarita moctezuma

I absolutely agree with Jordan. Not only was this a good way of interpreting the mind of Moreau but base on what info that we have gathered from the book, this island is very important to Moreau.By Edward being on the island it can ruin everything Moreau has worked on. His work is illegal and was one of the reasons why he was banished back home. Although i do think Moreau is planing to do something with Edward, Moreau could have killed him by now since theres no one in the island. Overall i do think that Jordan did really well with giving us a glimps of Dr. Moreau’s thoughts on Edward Prendick.

2. Claudiu Selar

That’s an interesting take on Moreau, to me, his interest in Prendick is fleeting at best. He knows he has a guest but doesn’t greet him until he is forced to. He doesn’t seem to think Prendick is a threat because he has many opportunities to get rid of him if he wanted, and their on an island in the middle of nowhere, Prendick can’t really go anywhere else. His monologue to Prendick about his research gives me the impression that Moreau wanted to share his work with someone else other than Montgomery, and seemed to be done with Prendick after the fact.

3. Chandrica Siewsankar

Jordan and Margarita, you both seems to have a clear understanding of why Mr. Moreau doesn’t feel comfortable having Prendick on the island so unexpectedly. He is doing something illegal and completely immoral, which is vivisection and it’s the same reason why he had to leave London. I also did think that Montgomery was going to include Prendick in their secret experiments because he kept referring to Prendick as a “man of science” and told Dr. Moreau a few times that Prendick knows something about biology.

4. Tiffany Taveras

I dont believe Edward Prendick was ever going to expose Dr. Moreau’s work. They’re all in a Island, far from civilization. Because he is on a different island, he isn’t breaking any rules. Prendick attempted to commit suicide when he believed Dr. Moreau was going to use him as one of his experiments. If he honestly wanted to kill Prendick, he would’ve shot him with his revolver when they were at the beach. Moreau wanted to give Prendick an explanation for everything that was happening because I do agree that he wants Prendick to help him with his practices. Montgomery’s job was to protect him from potential danger the beasts might cause to Prendick. This avoids any disaster between Prendick and the beasts.

5. Jonathan Veras

I also believe Moreau had no intention of killing Prendick. If anything Moreau could use Prendicks mystified mindset of the current situation and that of the beast men, to evaluate the reaction someone from the outside world may have when exposed to his work. Prendick has interest for the natural world, so he may prove to be a useful assistant, such as Montgomery.