Connect from “Everyday Use”-Alice Walker

In “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker when Dee was arguing with her mother about who get to have the quilt made by Grandma Dee, Maggie offers for Dee to have them, “like somebody used to never winning anything, or having anything reserved for her” (page 6). Walker only describe  Maggie’s tone when she said “She (Dee) can have them,” but I can imagine Maggie probably have her head droop down looking at her feet, maybe even playing with her fingers to distract herself from the sadness of never able to own something she wants.

Growing up with a sister, there were many moments in my life where my sister and I fight over toys, clothes and other little stuffs. Unlike Maggie, when my sister said to my mother “She can have them” she said it to gain sympathy from my mother so it will result in her winning over the object we were fighting for or my mother would get her something nicer then the one I have.

I remember 2007 Black Friday, I was in seventh grade and my sister was in fourth grade, and it was not usually for a teenager to own a personal laptop during that time period. My mother thought it would be a good chance to get my sister and I a new MP3 player, but I can also get a personal laptop for school purposes. I was really excited about that news, but my sister was not. She wined to my mother about how I can always get new and advance stuff because I am the oldest and she only get the old stuff pass down by me. I tried to be rational and asked why does a fourth grader need a personal laptop for? So my sister gets all droopy and teary and said “She can have them” I guess my mother thought it was unfair that my sister doesn’t always have the chance to get new things. So in result, my sister end up getting a new MP3 player and a laptop and I only have a MP3 player. I seriously thought I was adopted.

One thought on “Connect from “Everyday Use”-Alice Walker

1. margarita moctezuma

I do agree with the way that you envisioned Maggie when she had said to her mother that she can let her sister have the quilts that her grandmother had made. But what I also do think is when her mother said Maggie was playing with her hands on her dress it might have been because she might have also known that Maggie had also worked on the quilt as well. She could have been hiding her hands with her dress because in my personal experience with quilts I have gotten many injuries when I just started to quilt. And if you quilt for a long time those scars tend to stay on your hands and scar them. Which led to her mother to maybe think that Maggie had more sentimental value towards the quilt then Dee. So this also goes back to what you said about Maggie doing all those gestures to get her mother to know that even though she might be saying one thing she actually means the other.