Blog post “every day use” by Alice walker

After reading “ everyday use” by Alice walker, these are some of the clue I found interesting to analyze.
“orchids are tacky” this is one clue where it can definitely means how the relationship between Dee and her mother was. Although Dee always got to do anything she wanted to Maggie felt like she had to hide in corners with her scars. So even the sisters relationship.
“river of make-believe” most of the time they were living in a lie with Dee. Dee always felt kind of ashamed of the way her mother and Maggie lived that most of the time she would not bring her friends. She was ashamed of how her mom didn’t have any education. She was only good at doing man’s job.
“lizards disappearing” this is the description of Dee’s hair. It’s how’s that it is straight and nice just like a city girl would have her hair, although maggie’s hair was never like that. Dee was more of a fancy girl.
“Your heritage” in this word is everything on how Maggie would most likely keep the tradition in her family alive by wearing her great grandmother create which is what made Dee so upset because really wanted to have them but not for the same intensions. That’s why Dee put her sunglasses and got in her car and left. She would argue that Maggie would probably destroy the dresses just by wear them at home and washing it the wrong way. She believed she would do a better job would them, but her mother didn’t think the same way. That’s why the mother turn to Maggie and kissed her in the forehead to indicate that she will do a great job no matter what the others will say. After that Maggie had a beautiful smile in her face showing that she wasn’t really scare anymore, she was more like happy that her mother felt that way

One thought on “Blog post “every day use” by Alice walker

1. Fahim

I agree with what my classmate said there. The mother’s character is the character of the narrator. It is a simple and peaceful character. She has two daughters, Maggie and Dee. Maggie is just like her mother. In the other hand Dee is fancy like what my classmate said there. She didn’t like a lot of things what her mother and sister were doing. She was ashamed of them. That’s why she didn’t bring any of her friends’ home. She tried to live a good life. When she came to visit her mother and sister by a car that shows how good she is living her life. She never liked the way they lived. And about the dresses what my classmate wrote there, I felt the same way.