The Marshalls Experience

October 29, 2012 was the day that would make me question my priorities as a father and a husband. It was the day I had been reminded even more about what my goals really are and why I live on. It was a week earlier and I was well aware of the storm approaching New York, but at the time I did not think much of it. All I thought about was my upcoming championship match and for the first time in my life I had truly lost sight of what was dear to me. If it weren’t for my wife Karen I honestly wouldn’t have known in what situation my family would’ve been in right now. She had already talked to her sister Lucy and arranged for us to stay over at her house until the storm had passed. I remember getting upset and arguing with Karen the day she told me. I had told her “you are over exaggerating, the news always makes the little things bigger than what they are”……how ignorant I must’ve sounded….

To make things worse I ended up accusing Karen of being selfish and for not taking into consideration my upcoming match. “Mike, Leon, Jaylene” she replied. “Have you forgotten who they are and what they mean to you?” Those words hit me harder than any punch I have every suffered in the ring and I couldn’t help but think about how terrible of a role model I must have been turning into. After several hours I apologized to my wife and she was just happy that I came to realize what was important to me. I agreed to temporarily move, but I still didn’t like it. I didn’t really get along with Lucy, it’s probably because she never thought boxing was a real profession. Just thinking about it made me mad. Just at that moment Leon runs in and yells “Daddy daddy guess what? We’re going to Aunt Lucy’s house for a sleep over!!” “Yeah!! And we are going to have a lot of fun” I yelled back trying to hold back my sarcasm. He seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a storm coming, but I guess Karen must’ve not told him the truth to keep him from getting scared.

It was one day before the storm hit and we were right outside Lucy’s house and preparing to move everything we brought along with us inside. We hadn’t brought any furniture or anything huge, just a couple of supplies that we used daily. Like our toothbrushes, first aid kits, clothes, bed sheets, some sleeping bags and food, it was mostly food though. We greeted each other and I did my best to get along with Lucy, but of course every now and then she would throw in a couple of comments about boxing. When we finished unpacking there was so much food that you would’ve thought we were running a small supermarket at her house.

The next day the storm hit and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and seeing. This storm was deadly and I almost put my whole family at risk. Our neighborhood was completely flooded and winds speeds were up to 80 kph (kilometers per hour). Some houses were damaged by falling trees and does that weren’t were invaded by water. For the next couple of days the news had said that there was no electricity, transportation, heat etc. in Red Hook and all I could do was just look at my family, yes even Lucy and be thankful for what I had. I was able to revise my priorities and goals and realized that I just want to be the best father that I can be.

sandy 2sany

This entry was posted in 03.1 Storm Portrait, Joshua D Mendieta. Bookmark the permalink.