05 – DC Comic Artist Alitha Martinez

Have you attended a networking event before? This was the first network event I attended at City Tech called Meet the Pros. The Communication Design department at City Tech brings in industry professionals to share their work experience and stories. At this event, a DC comic artist, Alitha Martinez joined us. She is an Eisner award-winning artist for Black Panther and currently is an artist for the comic book Nubia. The setting for this event was in two parts: a panel followed by free time to speak to Alitha and other attendees. The host of this event was Professor Garrastegui.

This video is provided by DC on YouTube for Alitha Martinez’s work on Nubia.

During the panel, a lot of topics were covered such as how she paved her way into the industry at a time when women were not seen to be capable of being comic book artists, specifically. She spoke about the ability to be outspoken and self-confident in order to communicate with industry professionals or even artists you look up to. There were also stories shared about the type of work she does and how her process has changed in an industry where digital technology has increased.

One of the takeaways I had was the way she exuded confidence. At various times, she would bring up her heritage and her ancestors as a force that gave her courage. Listening to this method she used was a different perspective for me because it reminded me of the many times I would be nervous to approach others at filmmaking events. The way Alitha spoke created an awareness in me to see speaking to others as a way to express who I am and what I can bring to the table. Another takeaway was the passion she had for her work and the motivation needed to continue driving her to do the work that you do. She spoke on how work seems to be neverending, and the lines between work and personal time seem to become blurred. Nevertheless, she expressed the importance of keeping personal projects growing, not only to be able to have creative freedom but to continue learning in an industry that keeps changing and growing.

After the event, I had the opportunity to speak to Alitha Martinez and I asked her opinion on how a comic/manga/novel artist can expand their platform as a beginner. She mentioned having Kickstarters to gauge the audience’s interest in your story. She also spoke about how keeping up with what is trending can help determine where you take your story or art style. After our conversation, I walked away with some small goodies and a picture with her!