Week 1

Week 1 of my internship

WBNC Restaurant Management LLC/DBA MadRock for the Interior Designer/Art Designer/Graphic Designer Intern position. This is a Spanish & Artsy Restaurant called “MadRock” in Hell’s Kitchen, NY created in 2018. MadRock is a restaurant management company based in NYC which is opening restaurants in NYC and DC areas. 

At the company, have the opportunity to explore different paths, take on new responsibilities, and pursue experiences that are personally fulfilling as well as professionally rewarding. They are creating Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant combines authentic Spanish tapas and drinks together with New Yorkers’ art flavor. The store design as art gallery and museum showcases great art works from top artists with great talents. The concept of combining food with art perfectly reflects New Yorkers’ tastes and favorites, Food and Art.

My duties are Assist with website and blog updates via WordPress, Assist with collateral updates and version control, Creation of various logos for products, Creation and updates to various sales collateral, Assist with video production (shooting, editing, etc) and also Other projects as assigned

Location: 688 10th Avenue, New York, NY 10019

MadRock Restaurant

Week 2

So far this was one of the greatest experiences that I have had for my major. It was here that I learned and gained so much experience that I could not have from the classroom setting. I learned what it was like to work in a department with tasks that are due at a minutes notice and how to handle a large workload mostly advertising and marketing. I learned to design based on other people’s ideas and comments as opposed to my idea for a class project. This internship showed me, if not highlighted, that I chose the right career path and can happily design for the rest of my life to get my dream job as a Art Director.

Working with the design team gave me many resources for learning. The production manager taught me all about having an eye for color when it comes to onsite printing to make sure that your design comes out the way you want it to.

Tasks (that I was doing)

• Prepare images to coincide with social and blog posts on Instagram.
  • Creation of various logos for products
  • Other projects as assigned
  • Design some Business cards, VIP cards with madrock logos

Week 3

This week was a slow week for my internship I prepare images to coincide with social and blog post on you’re restaurant’s Instagram and have our goals to have at least 1k followers. So mostly this week I was more focusing on the updating the website and app to post the art and music events for the restaurant like Eventbrite, FaceBook, Fever, and TravelZoo. So not much graphic designing this just more advertising and web development like attending weekly meetings with marketing & development team. Also I’d assist in brainstorming concepts for upcoming projecting and designing collateral Art, Sporting, Gala events.

Week 4

I am always thankful to my supervisor. Her kind-hearted, sympathetic, and understanding personality motivated me to work beyond her expectation. I don’t consider myself as a kind-hearted person. I’m rather little moody and only kind when I want to be kind. But when I was working under her, I realized how important it is for a subordinate to have a boss who trusts her and understanding. That personality is something that a subordinate CAN to take advantage of. But if the boss has limits like my boss has, it can be a great motivation and provide more comfortable work environment. Being robotic is not bad. But we’re human after all. I need to learn how to balance between strict and kind at the same time.

Week 5

Was focusing on the social media and training the other interns how to use a Canon camera. This week my main task was to bring more images and more datas for the our video commercial using Adobe Premier. I would have to say that I’m a pretty fast learner editing videos and taking pictures of foodies

Week 6

The sixth week of my Internship was a very busy week for me.  I was the only design intern there worked for a few days right before their Grand Opening event April 14nd. So I had to cover a lot of works that was not done for the event. I really like working there so I did some extra hours last week to help them with the event. While working on the designs, posters, and the restaurant uniforms I also helped my supervisor to pick up some gift bags from an office which was 20 mins drive from our office in the city. Last minute the printer broke down, so they couldn’t finish printing out some flyers that they were supposed to distribute among the guests next morning. But later in the morning when I reached the event next morning, I found out two of the members had a printer at their house and they divided the print works and brought them the next morning. That was such a big help and saved my a lot of stress. That is why I enjoy working for this place so much. Everybody is very helpful and they work like a family rather than just playing a team member. Every single people are so nice and humble to each other which make me so happy to be there. I enjoy every single minute working there.

Week 7

This week was another slow week for me as usual I prepare more images to coincide with social and blog post on you’re restaurant’s Instagram and have our goals to have at least 1k followers but I’ve had some problems working it on FaceBook. So far we had around 1,100 followers on Instagram but in a few days later we dropped down to 883 followers. No worries because I made it my mission to stay more active on the our social media but its pretty tough working two jobs. Also I had a little fun making these four poster for our Talent Show & Comedy Show that we have every Thursdays And Fridays.

Week 8

This week on May 16th was my last day at WBNC Restaurant Management LLC/DBA I’ve been thinking on my work performance at this place for a long time now. I think I did a pretty good job. All my work was on time, handled multiple projects without any problem at all, respected others at the work place, presented multiple versions of sample designs when asked to design something from scratch.

So, I think it was not just me who thought I was doing a good job here. My supervisor, senior director of marketing department, and senior marketing manager really liked my work style and creativity.

Assignment Guide on Ethical Reasoning

ENTRY 1: 

I think that my non-disclosure agreement for my internship was pretty decent and that paid me and was offered extra money for my posters and design work as a bonus. To be honest I read to AIGA articles I still have problems understanding what suppose to write about because at my job was basically plain and simple for me. I did more graphic and advertising work and bit of marketing and work that I post on my blogs weekly explains for itself. 

ENTRY 2:

In my years of doing graphic design I just have to say that in my past going to so many art museums. I get a lot of my artistic style from look at paintings and how the artwork draws people into thinking if it tells a story. My work was never a reflection to anybody in particular because they are way too many to think of. Some of my best work were from references of my favorite cartoons shows and album art covers from my favorite artists. So I would probably say that my art style could be credited by random artists that have cool designs that catches the public eye and gives a message. In my works I usually credit a few animators and painters like Seth MacFarlane, Stephen Hillenburg, and Pablo Picasso.

My opinion of the arguments and outcome of the Fairey Copyright case

As I read this article explaining about the Barack Obama “Hope” poster created by Artist Shepard Fairey shares his inspiration for making the “Hope” poster in support of President Obama’s 2008 campaign. He explains how Obama to him was somebody with an idealistic person that had good ideas that really resonated with him. So supporting Obama actually really  logical as an evolution of his opposition to a lot of other things that had been opposing in the past because Obama had opposed the same things as well. Shepard didn’t want to hurt Obama’s cause so he did actually reach out to some people in Obama’s campaign and saying that he would like to make poster on his own and if Obama would give him permission which he did. Shepard starts discussing how very quickly pull together a illustration that he thought made Obama look like a leader with a vision, conviction, and also with a patriotic image and made it just like he makes his normal posters. The poster symbolizes something really important and it’s activism and a return to the people of believing in democracy not just the people with the most power trying to manipulate democracies for their own ends. Whether his “HOPE” poster would make sense as a tool for Obama in the future maybe not they’ll be something else that Shepard will or someone else would create something emblematic of hope and progress. To be I’m not going to talk about the copyright case cause I don’t like to explain anything that have to do about politics and I refuse to argue about it because people are only saying its copyright because Fairey design made it famous.