About Me

I am Jiahui Jiang, you can call me Kathy. I am a freshman at New York City College of Technology, and major in Hospitality Management. As an immigrant in United States, I have to go over the difficulties within the society, and to meet different people from different countries. When I adapted into the society, I aware that there are a lot of different cultures and interesting places in the country. To explore these places become my hobby. In addition, I love to travel around the world to explore different life style from different countries; to study their cultures; and to improve my knowledge about the world. Life is diverse; the world is full of adventure. You never know what is out there, until you see and experience it. That’s why I am interested in Hospitality Management; because it includes the job of tourism and that I can learn different cultures by travel around the World! Besides, I hope I can promote tourism to all over the world after I graduate.

Dumpling Soup

The laughter of childhood, recording our growth of footprint, a string of treasure in the heart of the story, makes up my most precious memories. My grandfather’s dumpling soup is the most precious memory in my life. Even though I came to New York City from China, dumpling soup still is my most favorite soup, because it makes me feel like I am at home.

When my grandfather was cooking dumpling soup in the kitchen, he stood straight up like a tree, his face became serious, and his hand was skillful in preparing the flour. He used the rolling pin to roll the surface of the flour. After the layer of the flour became thin, he started to cut it into circles, and he put leeks and pork meats fillings into them.

A dumpling’s appearance is just like a crystal clear white boat. The skin of dumpling is thin, even transparent, and it is as delicate as a baby’s plump little cheeks, and you can clearly see the inside of that pure soup through the skin. Inside of the dumpling there are some tasty and juicy fillings. When I have a little bite, delicious juice flows into my throat and you can imagine how delicious it is with the soup and the filling combined together.

Three years ago, when I was in Guangdong, China, I had a chance to go to New York City. I was afraid to go to New York City, because I never left my family so far away before, especially my grandfather, and I did not know anything about New York City and what it was like. However, my relatives were excited because I could go to another country to improve my knowledge. They advised me to become an immigrant of America. In addition, my grandfather agreed with them, and said to me, “You are young; you can go visit other country to learn more about knowledge of the outside world. Do not stay home and waste your time, just go!” I felt shocked when I heard my grandfather’s advice, and I struggled with myself. In fact, I grew up mostly with my grandfather, and he taught me a lot about life. I believe that he is knowledgeable, and he meant no harm. After that I started to think about my life. My grandfather saw I was struggling, he cooked dumpling soup for me. When I was eating, he said he cooked this dumpling soup in an attempt to tell me that no matter where I am, I still can remember my home when I see or eat dumpling soup, because the taste of dumpling soup will not change. It is in my heart.

In fact, although I realized the reason for my departure, I still struggled with myself. Intellectually, I knew I had to accept my departure, but I could not imagine what if I left my family emotionally. Since my grandfather spent a lot of time to teach me, he knew what I was afraid of, therefore he tried to use dumpling soup as an example to solve problems and created a food that represented the taste of home to me. Dumpling soup is one dish that we eat every New Year’s Eve, but now I can eat it anytime, anywhere. However, when I tasted the dumpling soup cooked by my grandfather, I understood the significance of it. It represents the taste of home in my mind. I will never forget it. In addition, my grandfather told me that no matter what I am doing, just like making the dumpling, do not give up halfway, and if “there is a will, there is a way.”

Later on, I left China with little knowledge of the taste of home. But now, I know what the taste of home is, like when I am eating dumpling soup, I will imagine different events that happened within China. I will think about the delicious food that was cooked by my relatives, the fun I and my brothers had and other events that happened at home. All these things come to my mind because dumpling soup represents the taste of home. My grandfather still helps me go through the difficulty about missing my home.

I am very appreciative of what my grandfather did for me. It makes me have courage to go through difficulties in life. Whenever I encounter some problem, I will eat dumpling soup to reduce pressure, and calm myself to figure out the solution of that problem. And I know that my grandfather and my relatives in China will always have my back. Dumpling soup helps me reduce the feeling of homesickness, and makes me focus on improving my knowledge and studying hard, step by step to make me become a successful person in the world.

e2680d18540828cb061ac6a8786ab984