During my internship at Brooklyn College, I had the unique opportunity to delve into the world of graphic design within the realm of higher education. This experience wasn’t just about creating visually appealing materials; it was about effectively communicating the college’s brand and message to a diverse audience.

Working closely with my supervisor and a team of dedicated professionals, I learned that graphic design in this context involves much more than aesthetics. Our collaborative efforts were crucial in ensuring that every design element, from posters to social media graphics, was not only engaging but also informative. This dual focus on creativity and clarity is essential in catering to the varied needs of students, faculty, and potential donors.

A significant part of my role involved regular communication with my supervisor, particularly during our meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays. These sessions were invaluable for discussing my progress, receiving feedback, and aligning my work with the college’s branding guidelines. The iterative process of presenting designs, getting constructive critiques, and making necessary adjustments helped me understand the importance of continuous improvement and attention to detail.

To facilitate seamless collaboration, we utilized tools like Google Drive for sharing design files and resources. This not only ensured that everyone was on the same page but also allowed for easy access and organization of design assets. Effective communication, both in-person and through digital platforms, played a pivotal role in the success of our projects.

As with any project, there were challenges to overcome. One notable hurdle was ensuring that my designs met the diverse expectations of our audience while staying true to the college’s brand identity. Initially, I struggled with balancing creative freedom with adherence to strict branding guidelines. However, through open dialogue with my supervisor and peers, I learned to navigate this balance effectively.

Another challenge was time management. Juggling multiple design projects with administrative tasks required me to prioritize effectively and stay organized. This experience taught me the importance of planning and scheduling, skills that are crucial in any professional setting.

A typical day in my internship started with reviewing my task list and prioritizing my projects. Much of my day was spent working on various design tasks, using Adobe Creative Suite to create posters, flyers, and digital graphics. The highlight of my week was the feedback sessions with my supervisor, where I could showcase my progress and refine my designs based on their input.

My internship at Brooklyn College has been an enriching journey that has deepened my understanding of the role of graphic design in higher education. It has taught me the importance of aligning design work with institutional goals, the value of effective communication and collaboration, and the necessity of balancing creativity with clarity. This experience has not only honed my design skills but also provided me with a comprehensive view of how graphic design can support and advance the mission of higher education institutions.

John Gregorios