Project Description

Since I joined entertainment technology, my two tracks have been video production and lighting. I’ve learned everything from camera operation to aesthetics in editing. Because of classes like tech Production and advance editing I have gotten hands on experience that has helped me improve my skills in editing and camera operation. In my experience at City Tech, we have recorded shows presented at our school, shot and edited tutorial videos, we are even encouraged to work on our projects implementing the entire process of pre to post production work. My goal after graduation is to become an independent filmmaker, now even more after this fall semester. During my advanced editing course we were inspired to create content that truly matters to us, content that’s relevant to us and show the world our perspective in life as young filmmakers.

For my culmination project, I would like to take on a project that’s very close and dear to me. I would like to film and edit a documentary called “1909”, named after my building number. It will explore the living conditions of my public housing building, exposing our burnt down elevators, abandoned garden, trashed environment, and other factors that make our building feel unwelcoming. My goal will be to try to get to the underlying issue of our terrible living conditions. In the process, I will learn if we are dealing with a management problem or community problem. This project will combine the skills I have learned in Digital Video Camera class but mainly Advanced Video Editing. Documenting the living conditions and interviewing our tenants and management is one of the challenges. The real challenge will be editing this piece into a story that will hopefully encourage our disheartened neighbors and spread hope that will bring about change.