A Little More About Me

Hello HMGT1101! I am Jessica Abate and this is my EPortfolio. I am a college sophomore at City Tech. Although I am a sophomore, this is my first semester at City Tech. I transferred from Hunter College to pursue my passion for the culinary arts.

Coming out of high school, like any other student, I was not sure what I wanted to do. After taking various introductory classes at Hunter, I still could not find something I felt was worth studying for the rest of my college career. My grades showed potential following a math or science career, but I would not be satisfied with either of those paths. Although both would have been enjoyably challenging my heart would not be in it. I realized I was searching for a passion I could turn into a career, but I already had one. I loved to be in the kitchen and serve others. I always felt so pleased with myself seeing other people enjoy something I was able to create with my own two hands. After realizing that, I enrolled in the hospitality management program here at City Tech. I want to learn more about this business and turn that joy I get from serving others into a career.

I have been in the kitchen since I was 5 years old and over the past few years I have been given some opportunities to work in different food places. I currently work in the kitchen for Treat House and before that I worked in Auntie Ann’s and a small bakery. I have obtained a lot of skills from these jobs, such as basic knife and decorating skills, but I want to learn more and perfect the skills I already have. I know my way around the kitchen well, but I want to challenge myself and learn more. I also want to learn more about the manager’s position and how pricing certain products works.

As much as I love to make healthy well balanced meals, I also have a passion for desserts. I love to decorate cakes and make other pastries. In the pastry classes the hospitality management program has, I hope to expand my pallet and learn new baking techniques and new flavor combinations.

I one day might want to own my own catering company or food truck. I am not completely sure what direction I want to pursue within this profession, but I do know that I belong in the kitchen making food for people to enjoy. I understand this business is very labor intensive and requires you to give up a lot of your free time, but I am more than willing to do that. I am excited to serve others and look forward to the challenge ahead of me!