Visually Enhanced Quote Project

For this project, the goal was to choose a quote from any literary work, whether that is a saying, quote from a book, or from a movie to be developed in three phases. Two phases included typography elements, as well as line art, whereas the third involved photographic images. For this project, I chose a quote from the movie “Into the Spider-Verse” that comes up throughout the movie, but emphasized at the end, when Miles Morales has to trust himself with his newfound powers in becoming the next Spider-Man in his universe. Peter B. Parker (Spider-Man) tells him “That’s all it is, Miles… A leap of faith.“, and that is the quote I chose because it rings bells for me, metaphorically. I started off with two concepts done in sketches.

Sketches

In the movie, multiple variants of Spider-Man are brought into Miles’ universe, hence the first sketch showing “A LEAP OF FAITH” dropping out of a portal.

For the second sketch, I wanted to give it more of a Spider-Man kind of feel, so I drew a building with “A LEAP OF FAITH” literally leaping out, while the first part is stuck in a web. I was trying to give life to the quote, while sticking to its theme. Sans-Serif typefaces were used, since they resembled comic book font the best to me, as this movie is based on the Marvel comics of Spider-Man.

Phase One

To start off, the first concept sets the background, tone and scene without any images, all done in Adobe Illustrator. The portal represents the variants of Spider-Man dropping into the universe. The buildings, made with shapes and lines, emphasize Miles’ leap of faith, as he jumps into his new path of a life as a superhero, believing he is ready. Originally, the buildings did not have lines to detail them. I obtained Sans-Serif typefaces from Adobe Fonts; Permanent Marker Pro for the yellow text box and Eds Market Bold Slant for the portal text because they both resemble comic book fonts, which is also why I chose yellow for the text box, commonly used in comics. Tones of purple and blue were used for the background colors, as these were the main colors used in the movie and comics. The Spider is pieced in to add more elements of the Spider-Man series, also done in a way that references the scene at night when Miles takes his leap of faith.

Phase Two

Moving along, the second concept imitates a wallpaper moments after Miles has taken his leap and is falling into the buildings, forced to call upon his powers to web swing. The web was added to further the theme of Spider-Man, since Miles was bitten by a radioactive spider and can shoot webs of his own. I stuck the text box to the web (done with illustrator) in a falling angle, as this is the moment where Miles believes in himself and sticks a web to a building, trusting his powers. His perspective is upside down, showing us what he sees after the leap. This likely is what the other Spider-Men saw when the portal shot them into Miles’ universe, moments after Kingpin caused a ripple in time, bringing them in, and thus falling the same way. Originally, Miles was drawn with shapes, but with Adobe Photoshop, I added him in from the wallpaper I referenced. He glows with the leap of faith text since that is what he just did.

Phase Three

Lastly, the third concept dives further into photoshop, providing a higher resolution cut-out of Miles, taking a more confident, angled leap from the text, diving straight into the buildings with style. I styled this one to be more like a comic book cover art, and if Marvel wants to sponsor me they surely can, haha. This is my favorite one; the finished product of the first two. The surrounding theme of this visually enhanced quote is that we are ready to take the leap– that leap into the unknown, to discover what we really are about. Like Miles, I had to believe in my intuition, I had to believe in myself. We must take our leap of faith into the skies, into our future, and go on swinging… Because with great power, comes great responsibility!