• Team #2: Broiled Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce, Pommes Natures, and Sautéed Zucchini: Aeshah and Kristen and Kenny

After analyzing the different wine styles stated in the textbook, Broiled Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce, Pommes Natures, and Sautéd Zucchini would pair well with wine varieties having high acid contents, fruity, or low in tannins for balance. Considering the dish has a fatty fish and a creamy bearnaise sauce, it needs some sort of acid to cut through this. The vegetable sides are high in starch from the potatoes and sweet from the sauteed zucchini, so overall this dish is on the heavy side. Three wine styles that would pair well with this dish include a full-bodied white wine, a low-bodied red wine, or even an aromatic white wine. For a full-bodied white wine, I would pair this dish with a Chardonnay from a region we have already studied, which is Argentina. Pinot noir from the Burgundy region of France would add a nice balance to the rich dish as well; my only concern is that the tannins do not overpower the dish but complement it. Maceration would have to occur for the pinot noir to ensure the tannins are present in the wine. Since there are dominant notes of apple and various citrus in Chardonnays from Australia, I would also pair this dish with a wine crisp with fruit notes from Tasmania. The process I would consider for this wine variety is barrel fermentation and battonage to create a balance in the acid and tannins.  Overall, this dish has to get its acid/tannic balance content from the wine pairing.