As I started the wine blending exercise in my wine class at Red Hook Winery, I was determined to create a unique wine that would harmoniously pair with “Broiled Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce, Pommes Natures, and Sautéed Zucchini.” The final blend, consisting of approximately Chardonnay (50% – 3 tablespoons), Sauvignon Blanc (35% – 2 tablespoons), and Orange Wine (15% – 1 tablespoon), exceeded my expectations.

The blending process consisted of trial and error. I carefully considered the characteristics of each grape variety and how they would complement the chosen dish. Chardonnay (50%) added richness, buttery, and oaky notes, providing depth and complexity. Sauvignon Blanc (35%) contributed crisp acidity, citrus, green apple, and grassy flavors, enhancing freshness. Orange Wine (15%) introduced unique orange peel, spice, and tannin characteristics.

Throughout the blending process, I sought a crisp, refreshing, rich, textured wine with hints of fruitiness and oak. I aimed to balance contrasting elements, creating a balanced blend. Notably, the process developed as expected, and I successfully avoided excessive acidity from Sauvignon Blanc and oakiness from Chardonnay, resulting in a balanced and smooth wine.

The final blend met my expectations in terms of aroma and taste. The aroma was smooth and refreshing, while the taste was soft on the palate. The blend’s subtle crispness and oak notes aligned with my expectations.

My blend was identified as the “winning blend” among my classmates and peers. This recognition boosted my confidence in wine blending. The positive feedback from peers underscored the importance of balance in creating a balanced final product.

The blend beautifully complements the rich flavors of the Béarnaise sauce, the delicate salmon, and the earthy zucchini. The crisp acidity cuts through the sauce’s creaminess, while the oak and fruit notes enhance the salmon’s flavor. This successful pairing highlight the importance of balance in wine blending.

Through this blending exercise, I gained a valuable understanding of the art of wine blending. Balance is key, and understanding grape varieties helps make blending decisions. Experimentation and adaptation are essential during the blending process. This experience has sparked a deeper appreciation for wine blending and its complexities.

In conclusion, this blending exercise helped my skills and created a greater appreciation for the art of wine blending. I look forward to applying these skills in future blending exercises, exploring new combinations, and improving my skills.