During my visit to Red Hook Winery in Brooklyn, I tasted an array of choice red and white wines, including Sauvignon Blanc, characterized by its neutral oak barrel aging and spontaneous fermentation, showcasing aromas of green eucalyptus, thyme, and rosemary, alongside a palate dominated by grapefruit and high acidity. The Chardonnay, skin-fermented with partial whole-berry maceration and open-top fermentation, presented a brandy-like nose with orange and lemon peel notes, accompanied by a heavy, super dry palate. The reds featured Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, and Merlot, each boasting unique flavor profiles.

Considering the Broiled Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce, Pommes Natures, and Sautéed Zucchini dish assigned, I identified the dominant flavors: richness from the Béarnaise sauce, delicacy from the broiled salmon, earthiness from the Pommes nature, and freshness from the sautéed zucchini. To pair well with this dish, I would consider blending wines that balance richness and delicacy, specifically Chardonnay’s creamy texture and buttery, oaky notes complementing the Béarnaise sauce’s richness, while its acidity cuts through the heaviness, alongside Sauvignon Blanc’s crisp acidity and citrus notes improving the herbal flavors.

To create an ideal pairing wine, I propose blending 60% Chardonnay (oak-aged, partial whole cluster) for richness and texture, and 40% Sauvignon Blanc (neutral oak, spontaneous fermentation) for crisp acidity and citrus notes. This blend matches the dish’s contrasting flavors, elevating the culinary experience. I will share my notes from the Red Hook Winery visit, including the dominant flavors in the Broiled Salmon dish.