Island of Hope, Island of Fear

Today we will begin watching a short documentary about Ellis Island.  The documentary was made in 1989 and uses actual footage of Ellis Island and the narration of immigrants who had been processed there during the great wave of immigration during the turn of the twentieth century.

I will provide you with Viewing Questions in class.  You do not have to turn in the questions, but use them for note taking.   (I have posted a copy of the Viewing Question in Blackboard as well.)

The documentary should also be helpful as you think about your oral interview essay.  This film uses the experience of individual immigrants with some additional research to tell a larger story about immigration.  Your goal will be the similar in your essay. I will talk more about the assignment next Wednesday.

**A reminder—No class meeting on Monday.  Our next meeting is on Wed. 10/11. Please read the Jacob Riis excerpt and bring it to class.  Also be sure to read the short book review, “White on Arrival.”  Both reading our in your Blackboard course packet.

This entry was posted in class announcements, Films and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.