Unit3 Genre Speech RENEW REBUILD CHANGE

Shania Romain 

Professor Hall 

English 

December  2019 

Rebuild Renew Change 

Hello ! Hello ! All ! 

If you are sitting here at Bridgetown Hall tonight it means you want answers you want change and you have had enough and it means that you believe in me and want to see better for our society for our millennials coming up .You want to see a better outcome a change and I thank you . Thank you for coming out in the cold .Have you talked and started seeing the wind yet ? You know the white air that you see as soon as you speak?   That’s how you know winter is here ! I told my husband that I needed all the heat today literally,and when I say all the heat I mean for everyone to show out and that is exactly what happened .All the seats are filled in this room. So now I feel extremely warm and I thank you.Today we are discussing the need for change in our justice systems . You’re clapping because you have had enough.You’ve had enough of the unsolved issues .You’ve had enough of the broken systems .We need to Rebuild Renew and finally Change .Rebuild our communities Renew our systems and Change the way our government persecuted .This is the solution. Rebuild Renew and Change a system that has been broken for so long.Our communities is so broken .The society we live in needs to mature . America has grown but not in a good way.At this very moment right now,there are two things America is known for. These may be the things the other countries are laughing at us for .One we have the most arrogant unfiltered immature President in office and second our incarceration system .We have the highest!  A staggering 2.2 million to be exact and they are filled with black men . Why haven’t America finally got past the stigma that black men are so cruel and dangerous.Black men are so vindictive and arrogant.Dumb and stupid.They have nothing to offer to society . They do nothing but get themselves in trouble.In truth have you seen the amount of black men who graduated from Ivy League Schools .Yale, Harvard , Princeton .They don’t talk about that though . Haven’t you you had enough ? Did anyone hear about the man who has been on death row for 21years. Rodney Reed brought an uproar to Texas’s cruel and unjust justice system which is notorious for the death penalty. Rodney Reed who was 28 when falsely convicted has been incarcerated for something dna has not proven. Rodney Reeds’s sentence is controversial because after many pages of evidence he still remained on death row . This particular case is troubling because of so many different factors such as police misconduct missed DNA samples prosecutorial misconduct and Rodney Reed’s poor counsel . Rodney Reed was convicted  based on semen sample.This is the ONLY piece of evidence brought against him. Now Rodney did have a legal relation with the deceased Stacey Stites. Does that mean that he killed Stacey .A black man dating caucasian a woman still intimidated a lot of folks back then it seemed .I mean it is Texas right ? No other evidence connected Rodney to this death not DNA from clothes or who knows her body that day but just semen . He was set for execution for November 20th.Thank God they delayed his execution and they are giving him a new trial . Our mission continues . I say our mission continues we need to Rebuild Renew and Change .Our system is broken for penalising an innocent African American man and basically framing him for something he did not go .At this point they still have not incriminated Jimmy Fennell when he is the one who has a past .We are moving into 2020 a new decade this cannot continue . I applaud you guys because you guys understand the need for a new start.This should not be happening . The system should not be biased . However the system was biased because Jimmy Fennell is at home in his house while Rodney Reed is serving time living in a hell hole for something he did not do . He is sitting behind bars for a crime he did not commit! Why does an affair with a black woman intimidate Mr Fennell to  go out in the morning to kill a woman who he is supposed to be marrying . Stacey Stites was his fiancĂ© ! An innocent woman is now dead because of man who was was supposed to be law enforcement . Jimmy Fennel was a ex cop at the time. This same police officer pleaded guilty to kidnapping a woman in 2008 and he was released in 2018 The woman did say that Mr Fennel also raped her To top it off did you know that an inmate who served time with Mr Fennell signed a sworn affidavit swearing that he overheard Mr Fennell saying that he did in fact kill his ex wife for sleeping with a black man .This man deserves to be on death row . This man needs to be behind bars .Do You see the problem here now . When a black man is accused of doing a crime accused he immediately gets sentenced to long periods of time in prison .However a Caucasian guy doesn’t get questioned until years pass by and he is still not suspected of doing a thing . That can cost you one African American but the system does not care though right ?Would you look at that Not only are black people shot for walking or stopped and frisked or pinned on the ground for not swiping a metro card their lives are being framed and taken from them .This is not right .This is a continuing cycle that needs to be stopped .The big picture here is that the justice e system needs to be fixed and the justice system needs to stop taking advantage of black men .It needs to be stopped .It needs to be changed .The Justice system needs to be Rebuilded Renewed and Changed . America You have to do better . STOP THROWING AWAY THE BLACK MEN .Stop stealing their life . I say this because this is a great epidemic . This should have never been Hopelessness did not manifest .Thank God you guys stopped the process and voiced your opinions and used your phones for something positive . You guys channeled that energy to move the process along for a better outcome of mankind and we thank you . . You ! .Each one of you 5000,000 signatures got this innocent man case delayed .His case got delayed so that he may at least be heard .He deserves to be heard . He needs to be heard .You put your voices toward something as one people .In America unfortunately the prison system is failing our black men.Degrading our black men. Abusing our black men. We cannot sit around on this any longer . This needs to be changed . Our journey as black people has already been hard .The task of protecting our black men has been  moved forward even more .The best is yet to come. . I want to thank everyone for using their voice for something . Every celebrity ,every news outlet ,every signature mattered and we are here now .We are here now to make sure this does not happen again. How many of us have an uncle or brother incarcerated for something they did not do .Being beaten behind bars by CO’s .Being abused .This needs to change . I have an uncle who served 10 years in prison for a marijuana charge something small as marijuana ! He served time in Upstate Correctional Prison. Meanwhile there are real rapists real murders real killers out there .Not people like Rodney Reed who at a tender age had to serve more than half his life in prison for something he did not do ! They looked at the facts and they still kept him hostage . The fiance told the truth and they still kept a black innocent man captive under the hostilities of the worst conditions . We have to fix this in our nation . The prison epidemic is becoming to big too known it should not be something that is common to us once in a while but everyday ? Let’s fix this America ! I will fix this !!