Sources 3+4

This source is from a website called ProCons.org. They provide pros and cons on current issues and events while providing primary quotes from well-known individuals. They are non-partisan and only use this to educate and inform others. On the page, there are listed pros and cons about the death penalty, which is extremely helpful. Not only that, the website also provides statements and quotes from well-known people on their standing on the death penalty. Some of the educated people include professors at some of the top universities as well as politicians. For example, the website provides a brief quote from Semon Frank Thompson, Jr who is former Superintendent of the Oregon State Penitentiary. Also on the website includes a direct statement from Martin O’ Malley who was the Governor of Maryland. There are a total of 10 statements made by various people that state the cons of the death penalty. It is broken down into 10 sections and each category contains a pro and a con. The categories are Morality, Constitutionality, Deterrence, Retribution, Irrevocable mistakes, Cost of death vs life in prison, Race, Closure for victim’s family, Attorney quality and last but not least Physicians at executions. The post was last updated in 2016 and considering that this is still an existing argument we can definitely use this source.

https://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002000

My last source is a YouTube video from the creators of Jubilee. With more than 4 million subscribers, Jubilee creates thought provoking, real and empathetic videos to create a movement for human good. In this episode, they created a video regarding the death penalty. There are 6 guests on the video; Dillion, Khalil, and 4 more that wish not to be named. Like most of their debate videos, of the 6 people, 50 percent of them support and the other 50 disagree with the topic. Like most of the sources I chose, I liked this because it is a primary source as well as it being extremely real and organized. Each person does not go out of topic and their arguments are strongly supported by examples and reasoning. The 16 minute video consists of pure conversations and arguments, every few minutes and so the directors would propose a question to the guest allowing them to change the subject and continue on without stepping out of track. The questions were, “Having the death penalty deters people from committing crimes.” “Anyone can be rehabilitated back into society.” “Everyone deserves a second chance.” “If someone genuinely apologizes for a crime, their sentence should be reduced.” “I believe anyone can forgive anyone given enough time.” “If my mother were to commit murder, I would vouch for her to receive capital punishment.” And finally, “I am afraid that there are innocent people on death row.” These statements from the directors are not their opinions but rather a statement where the guest and either decide to agree or disagree on.  Overall, this source is extremely helpful in researching the topic question.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVYO03zcZU