Mentor Article

Mentor Article: “College Is Hard: Stick With It” By: Tamisha Worrell

Published in: The Companion For The First Year At City Tech: 5th Edition

I like how the writer describes different types of students in different situations and includes them in her discussion of her article. I also enjoyed the personal tone of her paper and usage of “you” including the reader in the work. Using “you” helps identify the audience as fellow students of City Tech. She continues in her article to describe her situation and the obstacles that she has to deal with in order to succeed in school. Her analysis of the importance of going through college to get a degree is stressed; when she puts focus the cost of living in New York and the implications of trying to find a good paying job without a degree. I liked how she explained her experience with registering for classes and misconceptions when it was time to register for the next semester. I enjoyed the way the writer tied in the inspirational tone and information about services provided in the school to facilitate the returning to school process. The writer provides names of specific programs she utilized in the school. She ends the article stressing the importance of early registration which would have helped her more than once. Moreover, she reminds the reader to make use of the various programs the school offers to students.