Unit 2

Mia Carter

Growing up, it wasnā€™t uncommon for people to assume Im white or hispanic. Or the case be that iā€™m actually mixed. But, in my family we are all mutts.

The word mutt is used in many ways. Being derogatory word used to call a racehorse slow in poor condition, to call a dog that is mixed bread, a person who is awkward and ignorant, an unattractive woman. But the word is also used in a derogatory word against people of mixed race. The world’s history lies as another insult. It comes from the word “muttonhead,” another American word that also means”fool.” “Muttonhead” had been around since the early 19th century. Ā Ā 

Coming form a family where everyone is mixed isnā€™t something surprising to me. There was always something new and different to try from each and every part of the family that was different. Growing up in a neighborhood were people were mostly black, hispanic and asian you always get you’re just white or you’re hispanic. And telling people people i’m not hispanic was always a surprise for them, ā€œ like really youā€™re not hispanic? Like not at all not even part?ā€ my answer is always no. I have to explain that iā€™m mixed that iā€™m half polish and half african american. Peopleā€™s second reaction is always ā€œ youā€™re WHAT? Youā€™re black, you donā€™t look black? Wow you really are a damn mutt.ā€ Hearing the word mutt always has a different affect on me based on the person that says it. In my family we call each other mutts thatā€™s because we know what we are and we arenā€™t saying it as a bad thing. But when some people say it, the word always comes off different. You feel like theyā€™re talking bad about you like wow you arenā€™t origional. Like have you ever felt different or bad because you wasnā€™t the same as your friends. One thing that is big is what side do you take. Like for me its like iā€™m i going to choose my polish side more then my african american side when it comes to things or iā€™m i going to be a ā€œmuttā€ and be my own self.

Have you ever been called a mutt? I have been called a mutt, Oreo,( polabalk) because Iā€™m half polish and half black, mixed baby and some others. All these names have the same thing in common someone being multiracial. However some of these names make us feel unwanted, uncomfortable and just confused about who we want to be.