Thank U, Next Article

Thank U, Next, Ariana Grande’s newest album has gotten a lot of buzz. The album comes after a storm hit her personal life and after 6 months of her last album. A lot of people have been praising this album because of how it was put together in such short notice and it has stayed at #1 on the Billboard charts for weeks. But not everyone agrees that this is a great album. Jonny Coleman from The Hollywood Reporter said, “But, the whole thing feels like a cheap champagne hangover. Sweetener, her previous album, came out less than six months ago. And it’s hard not to read Thank U, Next as a set of leftovers from these same 2018 sessions, or an unnecessary sequel to Sweetener’s shining brightness.” This critic shades Ariana’s comment about making this album with a bottle of Pink Veuve Clicquot by her side. He obviously loved her last album Sweetener since he said it shines brightly but he can’t seem to say the same for this one. Well, I couldn’t disagree more. I definitely don’t believe this was “an unnecessary sequel.” If anything, I believe it was necessary because if you listen very closely to the songs in the album, they each speak of personal things partaking in her life. This was her way of expressing herself and answering everyone’s question of “Is Ariana okay?” I also don’t agree that the songs for Thank U, Next are “leftovers.” The songs and the vibe from both albums are completely different. If any of the songs from Thank U, Next were on Sweetener it wouldn’t make sense because they are two different sounds. Sweetener is a very pop album while Thank U, Next shows her love for R&B. At the end of the day, if I made an album like this while drinking Champagne and have it remain at #1 for weeks, I would be more than proud. Let’s see you do it, Jonny.