Draft(writing about art)

A Lot of games have come a long way from the 8-bit limitations of old consoles. Games like skyrim, **, and many other triple A games go as far as possible to reach as realistic as beautiful, creating scenic beauties that borderline too realistic. There’s no arguing that games have become much more beautiful over time, but a lot would argue if these are considered art pieces. Every game has some kind of an objective: defeat the enemy team, get to the end of a puzzle, save someone, or just get the most points out of anyone. Art though, dosnt have such a clear cut objective, more or less its purpose is to provoke some kind of emotion or reaction from an observer. With that, it’s easy to see the argument that most games themselves aren’t art, but just contain art. But does that mean that a game itself can be an art piece? Can a game provoke imagination and curiosity without holding the players hand and showing them how they should feel? Of course, there’s countless games that are meant to provoke emotions, but there’s few that can be considered works of art all by themselves.

Journey was created back in 2012 by ThatGameCompany, with the intent to create a game that not only made the player feel insignificant to their surrounding in order to have them explore the vibrant landscapes, but to go beyond the defeat/kill/win mentality of most other games. Outside of the name of the game and the ending credits, the entire game is void of dialog or writing, telling the story through map design, hieroglyphics, and paintings given to you by the echoes of those long lost. You start as a nameless hooded figure in a vast desert, surrounded by the ruins of a lost city. Through the ruins, echoed stories, and scattered pictures, you learn that the mountain that you’ve been drawn to walk towards since the beginning once gave the lands magic, the same magic that you use on your way through the game. The magic was used to nourish the land, the plants that grew, and the people that flourished from it. Over time, the people learned to harness this power, and created large and beautiful cities from this new power. Eventually though, as the city grew larger, and the land once used for food and life was now used for towers, the magic began to die out and fade. With the magic dwindling, a divide was created between the people over a hold of what’s left, and thus lead to war. Giant robotic monsters were created to fight and take what magic the other side held. In the end however, no one on either side survived, and the monsters still run free clearing the land of the life that once thrived. Over time the land was taken back by the sands of time, and what was left of the magic was used to to make you, the player. Further on you see your journey through the ruins, as if predestined, and at the end shows your defeat at the base of the mountain. Knowing this, you continue on through the frigid cold and pass the graves of those before you. As predicted, you reach the base of the mountain, and as much as you struggle through the roaring winds, the player collapses into the silent snow. As the screen fades from the white of the unforgiving blizzard, the echoes of the people who guided you come, and grants you your second wind, as you launch through the eye of the storm, past the robotic monsters, and through the fence clouds. As you break the clouds, you reach the peak, surrounded by the energy that once flooded the lands, and as you reach the end, your covered in light, as the game fades back into darkness.

Unit 3: Rough Draft

Can Drake Make a Difference?

Deonarine Karan

Professor Carrie Hall

English 1101

April 12, 2019

Did you ever give back to the community or donated for a good cause? If you were financially stable would you give back to the people in need? When I outgrew clothes that I can’t wear anymore I would usually gather everyone’s clothes that they don’t wear and donate them to the less fortunate. When I was younger and didn’t use to finish my food my mom would use to tell me kids in Africa would love to have what you have. At the time I didn’t really know the meaning behind that statement but as time passed I see kids all around the world is not as fortunate as us and don’t really have the opportunities that we take for granted. Many teenagers in this generation care more about materialistic things like name brand clothing and shoes rather than what’s important in life which is happiness. I use to hate when my friends use the phrase “Money can’t buy happiness”, because they would say if you have money you could buy anything in the world you want. But as I matured and got older it’s true you could buy anything in the world but you can’t buy yourself happiness. I rather be happy than rich because money could take so far before you realize there’s more in life than just money.

In Drake’s album Scorpion, two songs stood out to me the first one was “God’s Plan” he had a million dollar budget for his music video rather than him buying fancy clothes, chains, and cars to show off he give back to the community that was a selfless act. Drake video for “God’s Plan” was the most important thing he have ever done in his career. Drake started off the video giving cash to people in the streets, giving toys to kids, surprises a family with a brand new car, and gave a student a scholarship to college. In one scene, he takes a hotel maid on a shopping spree and pays the bill for a store full of people buying groceries. Drake also donates money to a high school, gives a student a full ride to college, and signs a check to a women’s shelter. “Drake himself seems to be part of the gift, with shots of him sneaking up and bringing a fan to immediate tears presented just as lovingly as when he hands the same shocked fan a wad of money”(Lily Puckett 2018), meeting your favorite artist can’t be compared to all the money in the world because they are someone you idolize. On my nephew six birthday we gathered some family members to buy food and refreshments to give out at church and at a elderly homes. Regular six year olds would rather receive money or toys on their birthdays but my nephew had everything you could possibly imagine. So showing him different values by giving back to people that don’t really have much would make him have a giving mindset from young.

Another song from Drake’s album Scorpion, that stood out to me was “Nice For What”, it was a song for women around the world no matter your size or color. Drake’s “Nice For What” song included Lauryn Hill song Ex-Factor which represents a person that has a strong but unpredictable influence. Drake also included Big Freeda which shows a strong message because she’s a transgender woman that experienced a lot of hatred. The video had strong and independent females like Olivia Wilde, Misty Copeland, Issa Rae, Jourdan Dunn, Tracee Ellis Ross, Tiffany Haddish, Yara Shahidi, Zoe Saldana, Letitia Wright, and Michelle Rodriguez. “Nice For What” supports many women moments like the #MeToo movement which is a moment against sexual harassment and assault. “So for Drake to have not only produced a song about an unbothered woman doing her and living her best life, it’s a shocker, but a welcome one” (Whitney Alese 2018), it always takes one person to make a change in this case it’s Drake showing respect to females that they deserve. “Workin’ hard, girl, everything paid for; First, last phone bill, car note, cable (Whitney Alese 2018),” showing woman’s work ethic by putting their responsibilities first. “That’s a real one in your reflection, without a follow, without a mention.” showing you don’t care about others opinions by having self appreciation. Especially in a generation where people go straight to social media like Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat to get people’s attention.

Drake releasing “God’s Plan” and “Nice For What” shows growth and change in the world that everyone needs to value what they have and treat women with the respect they deserve. It doesn’t matter how small you contribute to world it all starts somewhere with you. On the other hand, many artists in this generation degrades females rather than lifting them up and putting them on top where they belong. All females around the world should be empowered, after all we all came from a strong and independent women that we admire and love. We need more leaders like Drake to spread the message of giving and equality.

Citations:

Alese, Whitney. “The Deeper Meanings behind Drake’s ‘Nice For What.’” Medium, Medium, 11 Apr. 2018, medium.com/@TheReclaimed/the-deeper-meanings-behind-drakes-nice-for-what-f97a5d979f21.

Puckett, Lily. “5 Religious Leaders Weigh in on Drake’s Version of God’s Plan.” The FADER, The FADER, 27 Feb. 2018, www.thefader.com/2018/02/23/drake-gods-plan-religion-leaders/amp.

Writing About Art

Topic: Kendrick Lamar_HUMBLE

Kendrick Lamar (born June 17, 1987) is an American rapper, songwriter, and record producer. He is regarded as one of the most skillful and successful hip-hop artists of his generation. Raised in Compton, California, Lamar embarked on his musical career as a teenager under the stage name K-Dot, releasing a mixtape that garnered local attention and led to his signing with indie record label Top Dawg Entertainment (TDE). He began to gain recognition in 2010, after his first retail release, Overly Dedicated.

One of his music video is particularly interesting to me as it includes many captivating scenes and words. That particular video was released in 2017 and got a lot of attention. In addition of being a very well-sounding song, it also includes messages depicted with scenes. Through this song, the singer addresses Americans, but more precisely Black people, women, corrupt people and more directly to those taking part to that racial segregation and or profiling. The purpose of this song was to highlight what black people are still going through and how it affects the way they live and the way they act. The content was expressed in a lyrical and explicit way to the audience and the original oeuvre may be somewhat inappropriate for under aged people.

From the music video, it is clear that the artist put a lot of work to make things look exactly the way he wanted it to look. Scenes throughout the video have meanings and are meant to send messages to the audience. In introduction, we can see Kendrick standing still dressed like a pope portraying “HUMBLE” manners till he starts singing with somewhat a though character.  This scene represent the “awakening”, stating that none can consider one ethnicity to be superior to another, and still expect the oppressed people to stay nice. As a side note to that scene, oppression is not “Christian”. Suddenly, from a pope driving the word of God, Kendrick turned into a different personality where many girls are sitting next to him counting money. This scene represents how media takes advantage of the hard work of other. The women counting his money also have masks on their faces which means that they are under cover.

Next, a scene shows him in the middle of a diner table covered in red with wine and bread on it, and others people sitting along. This scene depicts the famous diner Jesus had before being crucified. This scene has been interpreted in many music videos by other artists such as A$AP Ferg, Nas and Stormzi. That scene more particularly show that the people you just broke bread with, can betray you.

Another scene shows Kendrick in front of a group of men with their heads on fire, and other streets guys in the background. He then mentioned “Dreamers”, to illustrate how racist people think, their selfish manners when they feel like someone is taking over. Their head are on fire due to their dreams that they can’t reach and are forced the live like the guys in the far background. On another scene with a little bit of controversy, he says that he is “tired of Photoshop” and displays a girl in two screens (natural  and “photoshopped”), where the girl seems to look better natural! That scene cause a bit of controversy from the feminists. Some seemed offended for being portrayed as “photoshopped” because they use makeup. But on the other hand, some people say that he just stated his preference and that nobody should feel concerned. The meaning of the scene was tricky as he mentioned Richard Pryor who actively fought against racism and the fact that some people change their appearance just to fit in the society.

A well known scene form an old commercial was also illustrated, where he exchanges a jar from the back of a car to another man inside an other car. The original commercial scene was made by two white men and he shows that the same scene among black Americans can be interpreted as a criminal activity.

The same action is judged different when done by someone of a different race. Next, he then appears in a house with gun lasers pointing at him. That scene shows media attack towards African-Americans and says it’s even worse than alcohol abuse. By “Be humble! Sit down”, Kendrick illustrate what African- American have been told. He then appears in the middle of bold head black men face down (oppressed), saying “be humble, sit down”, with him in the middle signifies that he is the voice with his face facing up no matter what he is being told. The following scene shows him between a group of black people in high status with their faces up and him wearing white to tell the difference and show that he will keep the battle going.

This music video is very entertaining, but the main idea behind this video was mostly about showing the audience facts about what is going on, that racist people are brainwashing the masses so they can think negative about African American. Considering the actual situation, such oppression does not help at all, it makes some people stop caring and just do what they are mostly considered to be doing. Bad things. It was an overall very interesting song with a lot of messages that the audience need to understand.

unit #3

Mia Carter

It’s my first day back to college and I’m on the train to school.  I am leaning on the doors of the train as usually do. Looking at my phone as swipe throw peoples snapchats. As I swipe throw my friends post most of them are all talking about J. Coles new song. I am interested now wanting to know what the hype is about the new song. Suddenly, I am putting the name of the song into my search box on Apple music.  Through my headphones, I hear a males voice rapping to a nice beat. As I keep listening to the song I’m starting to like more and more. Thinking to myself J. Coles song Middle Child  is really good like I see why everyone is talking about it. As I listen to the song I thought to myself I’m happy I was being a little bit nosy because I have a new song to add to my playlist.

1. Cole is a rapper that always tries to talk about things that are happening now and things he deals with as a person. In the first verse of the song, cole is already talking about something big by saying “ I do not snort powder, I might take a sip I might hit the blunt, but I’m liable to trip I ain’t poppin’ no pill, but you do as you wish”. J. Cole talks about the use of drugs when being in the industry. On his 2018 album KOD, which stands for “Kids On Drugs,” Cole seems to take time to bring up the issue with people willing and supports using substance abuse in the hip-hop industry. As we make our way throw the song Cole bring up another topic society today and the struggles “Too many ni**as in cycle of jail Spending they birthdays inside of a cell We coming from a long bloodline of trauma We raised by our mamas, Lord we gotta heal We hurting our sisters, the babies as well We killing our brothers, they poisoned the well Distorted self image, we set up to fail I’ma make sure that the real gon’ prevail, ni**a”. Cole is right there is a cycle young man going to jail coming out and going right back into a cell. Cole also touches on how these traumatic environments and events can cause long term problems for Black people making it hard. People kill each other over stupid things and women being physically and sexually abused. He also talks about the system were they always want to put people within their established stereotypes and styles. Therefore ending the real image of who we are.

rough draft

Society has always been susceptible to media exposure as it determines how receptive society becomes towards certain ideas. The media has evolved into a powerful tool that many people utilize with the goal of expressing their discontent and expose the social issues that are dramatically transforming our society. Individuals can use a wide range of methods to express their beliefs. For example, the 2016 presidential election was very controversial as it showcased the diverse ideologies that our current president has towards immigrants in this country. He used the presidential platform to degrade immigrants, provoking a sense of xenophobia amongst the American people. On the other hand, there are artist who employs the same platform to spread positivity and political awareness. Two controversial songs that were published before and after  the presidential election demonstrated the resistance among many minority groups in our communities. On the other hand, the songs also exposed the inability of those same communities to make the right presidential choice.

Trump’s discriminatory remarks stimulated society’s interest in a way that enabled people to express themselves through music. The song “Fuck Donald Trump by YG and Nipsey Hussle, emerged before the presidential election. Not only was the song used as a method to express one’s opposition towards the political climate at the time, but the song can also be analyzed as a warning to the American People. The song states, “Don’t let Donald Trump win, that nigga cancer…He can’t make decisions for this country…we can’t be a slave for him”. When I first heard this song, it seemed to me as a cry for help to the American people and listing the many reasons why he should not get society’s support. The song also alludes to the injustices that minorities experience in society when he states, “And if you been to jail you can [probably] still vote”. A lot of minorities do not enjoy the privilege to vote as a consequence of previous convictions for minor crimes. The songs also empower  the youth by saying “We the youth, We the people of this country, we got a voice too, we will be seen, and we will be heard”, with the hope of encouraging them to vote. On the other hand, even when it uses these expressions as a way to appeal to the public, there are many barriers that hinder people’s ability to vote. Both undocumented residents and legal residents of the United States do not have the right to vote, which subsequently leads to lack of participation.

The song “Not My President” was published on February 12, 2017. The slogan “Not My President” turned into a movement after the 2016 presidential election. At first, I had mixed feelings with this song as it represented a general ideology of the current political status. As an immigrant from Hungary I have experienced discrimination, but I found myself conflicted with choosing whether I could relate to the song or not. When I first got exposed to this song, I thought I was very catchy as the artist presented the public with a humorous description of Donald Trump by stating “Donald trump look like a bird from the sesame’s”. It then took a more serious approach when the song addresses the negative comments Donald trump has made about Mexican immigrants residing in the United States. Added to that, the artist states, “and this is the guy that we picked for our next president, fuck that yo, you really got me fucked up”. To a certain extent the artist is also criticizing the American people’s ability to vote for a president. Very frequently, citizens do not take their democratic duties seriously and sometimes take it for granted while other people like myself, wished they had the opportunity to voice their concerns.  Therefore, we are forced to leave these political choices in the hands of American citizens who look within their own individual needs to pick the leader of our country.

The phrase “Not My President” is problematic because it does not only show, but it also shows the inequality of votes among the American people. Both of these songs attest to the fact that not everyone can vote. Those who protest might have not had the ability to make their voices be heard. I, myself, was not able to vote and as much as I did not like the results, one has to acknowledge that it is one’s responsibility to make their voices be heard. Minorities in our community have let upper middle-class individuals from making decisions regarding our future due to the lack of education or the lack of interest. Both of these songs serve as a mechanism to spread awareness and educate people on the social issues that are affecting our daily lives. When the artist states “I thought all that Donald Trump bullshit was a joke” illustrate our current president used the how people thought it was absurd for Donald Trump to run for president. Nevertheless, the use of joke served as a method of propaganda that resulted in his election.  On the other hand, his victory was a wakeup call for a lot of people to devote more of their time worrying about issues that matter.

Rough Draft (KO)

Kalissa Ortiz

XXXTentacion:

Album:  “SKINS”

Song: “TRAIN FOOD”

I remember when i first heard the song “TRAIN FOOD” it hit me like a moving train that has run off track. I tend to listen to simpler songs, songs with meanings like depression and bad breakups. But this one was different, i’ve never experienced a song like this.

I was laying down in bed and it was almost midnight, it was pretty cold outside but i still had my fan on. I was wrapped in my fluffy blanket, and had my headphones in my ears ready to listen to my late night tunes. I always listen to music before i go to sleep since i have trouble sleeping and this helps. I go onto my Apple music and see that XXXTentacion album “SKINS” was released. I listened to the first song and loved it, “TRAINFOOD” is the third song listed on the album. At first i was listening to it more like a regular song but certain lyrics stood out to me.

“His frequency distorted quick, i seen it in his image, I should’ve run right Fucking there.”

This line caught my attention and i really started to pay closer attention to what he was saying. I also realized how this song almost was like he was talking, it didn’t sound like he was singing or even rapping just sounded like he was talking. As i listened to the rest of the song what really scared me was when he said “Now it’s here, Death has now arrived, times finally up.” After the song finished all i kept thinking about is that line. It wouldn’t leave my head for hours trying to figure out what he meant.

XXXTentacion album “SKINS” released December 7, 2018 months after his death in middle June. He was shot in Deerfield Beach by Dedrick D. Williams and shortly after died on the way to the hospital. When “SKINS” was released it showed lots of deep symbolism and dark themes in his lyrics. The lyrics can be disturbing to read and analyze but also listening to his sound in music can be hard to listen too. But analyzing further it’s interesting to know what kind of message he was trying to send overall to listeners.  

I remember I had walked home that day

Content with all my misery

Told my self it’d get better, no clue what there was next to me

(Kept telling himself it will get better, but it just all got worse from there)

Remember there was people, walkin’, talkin’ in the distance

I was dressed for winter weather

But the summer rays were kissing me

I, I was lost

So I took a different path, in the distance he awaited me

Had no weapon, I’m guessing his hands were just enough for me

Was no question, I’m guessing he laughed just at the sight of me

I was lost

(This could mean his history with drugs and gang violence)

I remember I had walked home that day

Content with all my misery

I was dressed for winter weather

But the summer rays were kissing me

I, I was lost

And there he was, his presence was alarming

As he approaches casual, we talk ’bout self-harming

He told me “kid, you shouldn’t be walkin’ on your own”

He smiled and laughed, and pat my back

He said, “how far are you from home?”

I said, “maybe 30 minutes”

His frequency distorted quick, I seen it in his image

I should’ve run right fucking there, I-

(I think he may be talking about death here, the conversation he is having is with death. In a lot of his songs he always talks about death, and i think all along he always knew he would die very young)

You ever woke up on a train track

With no motherfuckin’ clothes on?

Death before your eyes, you prayin’ to God, but ain’t no response

Trying to scream for hope, just a shoulder that you can lean on

But ain’t nobody coming, so you scream on

And scream on and scream on

While this evil fuck laugh at you?

Train getting closer, you still surprised that he battered you

Tears falling harder and harder, minutes get minuscule

Could’ve had a son or a daughter, now what you finna do?  

You finna die here on this train track

‘Cause clearly after death, ain’t no way you can find your way back

Thinking ’bout your previous memories, going way back

All them fucking dreams ’bout the diamond chain and the Maybach

Now your time finally up

Ask yourself the final question, is you going down or up?

Recollectin’ all the moments that you never gave a fuck

Now it’s here, death has now arrived, time’s finally up

(Reading this is very dark and just shows how all along he knew death was coming and in fact he’d been faced with it many times before. He’s been so close with death almost like he can touch it, but finally it’s got him)

rough draft

Lucki(you called me)

The opioid crisis is one that, unfortunately, too many people can relate to. Whether it be them, a friend, or a close family member, it is a topic that hits close to home with many Americans. And its been then way since the early 90’s. “The number of opioid prescriptions dispensed by doctors steadily increased from 112 million prescriptions in 1992 to a peak of 282 million in 2012, according to the market research firm IMS Health”(CNN). A lot of people blame the music that the younger generation is listening to nowadays, as a main culprit in this epidemic. This is due to the various references to drugs that a majority of rap artists use. Such an influence spans outside the “hood”, especially today. Kids from a suburban neighborhood, or kids who didn’t necessarily grow up in a bad neighborhood, might be listening to the same artist that a kid living in the Bronx, or in the projects is listening to. And both are hearing the same words as each other. People love to give the argument that drugs are being depicted in a false manner, that drugs are being glorified. But, not all rappers are built the same.

Lucki (formerly known as Lucki Eck$), is a rapper from Chicago. I personally have been a fan of Lucki for a few years now, but his music is starting to “blow up” for the lack of a better term. Like a lot of artists today, he is known for his references to controlled substances. Now, I can you rolled your eyes, but its not in the way you might think. Lucki talks about the dark side of the pills he takes, the drink he sips, how its all killing him slowly. And he knows it. But he’s in the hands of the drug, and seems to have little to no control of his needs. Lucki also talks about his personal problems with depression. About how he uses drugs to “block out” all of the bad things that are going on in his life. The drugs help him forget. I think the point Lucki is trying to make is that all of these people around him are fake, “smiling when they losing”. But, even though people call him an addict, and label him as one, he is more genuine than most. This is because Lucki expresses his raw emotions, what life, and drugs, and depression, and withdrawal are doing to him, how its affecting Him. He may conceal his depression, but doesn’t ignore that fact that it still exists. ((Lucki reminds us that turning to drugs for helps may help short term, but controls your life in the long run.))

The time is 12:35 am. I am returning home from work, hands aching. The blisters on my hands remind me of the work I put in during my shift. I’m listening to my music, as I usually do. I pause my music, just for a second-and the stark contrast of the dead silence makes me remember where I am. The  faint smell of beer permeates the cart, most likely coming from the homeless man sleeping on the far opposite end. I know this because a bunch of malt liquor seemed to have tipped over. I periodically shift from side to side, swaying along with the train as it makes its way through its destined path. I am watching all of the building pass by. Most of the window lights are off, but equally as much are on, burning midnight oil. Listening to Lucki, I feel like I am not so alone in my thoughts, Even though no one is there, I am not alone. I am more accepting of who I am.

Rough Draft

It’s my first day back to college and I’m on my first of two trains. I am seated at the corner of the train as usual looking at the dirty floor awkwardly trying not to make eye contact with anyone. I worry about class as bad outcomes rush through my head. I am afraid. Suddenly, the song changes in the random Spotify playlist that I am listening to. Through my headphones I hear a female voice sing powerfully to me “Fear you don’t own me…” It is the perfect and most comforting song during my situation. It is “The Breakup Song” by Francesca Battistelli. I find peace while listening and gain control of my situation as I command fear to leave.

When I tell people about “The Breakup Song” most people assume that it’s some sappy love song about a harsh breakup. I was kind of surprised myself when I first read the title. The song isn’t about breaking up with a loved one at all, but rather a hated one; fear. Fear is one of our worst enemies. It prevents us from meeting our full potential and gets in our way of success and happiness. Francesca Battistelli has picked a great topic to write a song about. Everyone can relate to it and many can be encouraged to overcome their fears.

The first line in the chorus on its own sets a powerful tone and encourages the listener to take control of their lives. “Fear you don’t own me” shows that Francesca is speaking to fear itself and is putting it in its place. I believe that she’s telling fear that it can no longer control her life. She sets a good example for her fans that follow in her footsteps. They too are encouraged by her words and strive to defeat fear. When I first heard the song myself it provided me with the strength that I needed to overcome my obstacles and do what I once was not able to do. I was afraid to go to college because of my fear of not being good enough due to my past school experiences. When I heard the powerful words “Fear you don’t own me” it provided me with a wider perspective. I am not alone; even very successful people experience fear sometimes. You shouldn’t allow it to control you and throw you around.

Towards the end of the song, Francesca asks the listener to “Sing along with me” and “Sing fear, you don’t own me”. She helps them to break up with fair by telling fear itself that it doesn’t own them. She sings “If you don’t know how to say it Sing along with me”. While we are distressed and don’t know what to say or do, she guides us to ending the unhealthy relationship that we have with fear.

A music video was created for “The Breakup Song”. While watching the video I noticed Francesca Battistelli writing a note in a brief clip. When I paused the video, I saw what was written on the note. She was writing the lyrics to the song. This leads me to believe that the song itself is a letter to fear. It is both a break up and goodbye letter to fear. Towards the end of the video, Francesca is seen packing a bag with a telephone, scale, top 100 list and a goodbye letter. I believe that she is packing fear’s bags and demanding it to leave. She is sending away all of her personal fears that have troubled her throughout her life.

Like Francesca, we should send our fears out the door as well. If she didn’t get rid of fear it would have held her back from her goals. She might not have been able to perform in front of millions and would not have written this song. Many like me would not have heard “The Breakup Song” and built up the courage to disown fear and succeed. I would probably not have made it to class that day if I hadn’t heard this song.

Song here

ROUGH DRAFT DUE FOR TUESDAY, APRIL 30

Hey, everyone. Our spring break is already drawing to a close! I’ve graded and commented on everyone’s revisions.  The reason it takes me so long, by the way, is that I spend about 30 minutes per paper to make comments. I suggest you read those comments– because I grade you on whether or not you keep doing the same things over and over! You will find these in the “comments” section under your revision.

Your rough drafts for paper three are due for Tuesday’s class. YOU MUST BRING A PAPER COPY TO CLASS!  IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF YOUR ESSAY YOU WILL BE COUNTED ABSENT (because 99% of what we’re doing on Tuesday is working on these!) Many people had a hard time following directions for this essay and missed points for things like not having images, etc… Please read the instructions for Essay Three under “UNITS” at the top of this page.

Hope you had a great break!