For Thursday– Reading and Quiz

A NOTE ON THE QUIZ: YOU CANNOT LOOK AT PHONES DURING THE QUIZ! THIS MEANS, IF YOU WANT TO LOOK AT THE TEXTS, YOU MUST HAVE THEM PRINTED OUT– BOTH COATES AND DIAZ. I WILL NOT HAVE EXTRA COPIES.

Hey everyone– for Thursday, please read and annotate the excerpt from “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” that I handed out in class. Extra copies will be available outside my office door (Namm 525.) READ THE FOOTNOTES!  (I sometimes skip footnotes too. Don’t do it here.)

Please also write a “difficulty paper” of about 200-250 words (NOT 100 words, you guys) in which you write about what in the story you found difficult, confusing, boring, etc… Remember how this went last time. You need to be as specific as possible. Refer to a particular passage and then try to think it through. WHY is this difficult? What do you think Diaz might be trying to do here?

You may also want to read Diaz through the eyes of a writer. What is he doing in his writing that you would like to do in your own writing? How, specifically, might you be able to hone those skills? Alternately, what is he doing that you DISLIKE? How might you be able to avoid those pitfalls?

Please post your response using category: Portrait of a Word.

There will be a quiz in class on Thursday on all of the reading for this unit so far (Diaz and Coates.) You will also be asked to quote properly, using the introduce/ summarize/ analyze formula that we practiced in class. Just a note: quizzes can not be made up. If you miss it, you miss it.