Muthanna 1

Nagmadeen Muthanna

Carrie Hall

English 1101

18 November 2018

Real Monsters

Imagine waking up one morning and hearing people scream for their lives. You go outside to check and you notice there’s a zombie attack.You see zombies eating the brains out of people. Would you consider them monsters? I believe that a monster is someone who has the ability to choose good but doesn’t.

Zombies are always considered a monster. They kill humans to eat there brains. They could either walk toward you or run after you. In his article, My Zombies Myself: Why Modern Life Feels Rather Undead, Chuck Klosterman maintains that “Zombies are a value stock. they are wordless and oozing and brain dead.” In other words, Klosterman believes that zombies don’t know what they are doing. And I agree with him Klosterman. Zombies have no choice and what they are doing. they are brain dead. All zombies know is to eat the human brain. Which comes back to my main point. Zombies don’t have the ability to choose Good, which does not consider them a monster. 

Travis (Cliff Curtis) in ‘fear the walking dead’ season 3

What about the other monsters that we all grew up with. The monster that’s hiding under your bed or in your closet. The monster that shows up at night. Is that considered a monster. According to Klosterman “ When we think critically about monsters, we tend to classify them as personifications of what we fear.” Klosterman’s point is that when we fear something,  we turn that fear into a monster. Once again I agree with Klosterman. I feared many things in my life. One example is spiders. But fearing spiders does not make spiders monsters. As a great man once told me ( my father ) “ your fears are not their to scare you, they are their to challenge you.” This is something my dad said that stayed with me until now. Fearing something can prevent you from succeeding in life and you must overcome your fears.

Finally, Who are the real monsters. Humans are the real monsters. Humans have the ability to choose good and bad. Being in situation where you have to make a choice that will reflect your image on people. The Yemeni president ali Abdullah Saleh was a great leader at first. He ruled Yemen for 33 years before The southside of Yemen wanted another president. He was in favor of the north side and won’t fix anything on the south side. After refusing to leave and tried to murder anyone who tries to kick him out of presidency. He stole up to 60 billion dollars from Yemen and ran away. Him and his army destroyed Yemen and stole all the money that is needed to repair the damage done. This is what a real monster sounds like. Not caring about anybody, killing people for being so selfish. Imagine the education Yemeni people would have got for 60 billion, imagine how Yemen would have looked like if he spent some of that money on fixing Yemen. It crazy what monsters would do and that’s what makes them monsters.

South side of Yemen after Ali Abdullah Saleh and his Army destroyed Aden

Being in a situation where anything you choose would make you look bad doesn’t make you a monster. Let’s say one day you walk in to the mall and you see a murderer. Let’s just say he asked you to pick between two groups and one group will die. In one group you have your mother and father and in the other you see 6 children under the age of 12. Most people would choose their parents to survive and that doesn’t mean you are a monster for doing so. Some people might call you a monster for choosing this choice but I guarantee you if they were in that position they would choose their parents too.

In conclusion, people who tend to choose bad over good are considered the real monsters. Zombies and any other fictional monster are challenges in life you will have to face and overcome to become who you are today. Stop looking for monsters under your bed or in your closet because the real monsters are inside of us.

Citation

• Klosterman, Chuck. “My Zombie, Myself: Why Modern Life Feels Rather Undead.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 3 Dec. 2010,  www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/arts/television/05zombies.html.