NUR 4010 FA 2013

You are currently viewing a revision titled "Narrative Self Reflection", saved on December 9, 2013 at 5:35 pm by kjackman
Title
Narrative Self Reflection
Content
This semester, in Community Health Nursing, my clinical placement site was Delete Blood Cancer. I have completed the clinical objectives that were indicated for this class. Objective #1: Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance. During these drives, I maintained the confidentiality of the individuals being registered by keeping their registration forms safe and unseen by others until they were handed off to Delete Blood Cancer. I assumed responsibility for my own learning and always went to clinical prepared to learn something new. I was able to prepare for clinical learning and complete my clinical assignments in a timely manner and asked questions when I needed to. I actively participated in clinical conferences when planning for the donor drives. I arrived to clinical on time, in accordance with school policy and dressed in business casual attire. Objective #2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting. I was able to use registrant interview and information given from representatives at DKMS in order to collect information needed to understand and allay some of the fear and concerns coming from registrant. I was able to assess the impact of developmental, emotional, cultural, religious and spiritual influences on the potential registrants. I was able to complete an assessment of individuals that came to the table in order to see if they would be eligible to donate. I utilized principles of personal safety when taking part of the fair. Objective #3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting. I was able to use therapeutic communication when speaking to people who came to find out about registering but who were fearful of the process. I used the appropriate channels of communication when completing the different tasks needed to prepare for the drives, which includes the use of the telephone, email and in-person communication. I had to communicate with people at the Delete Blood Cancer office concerning the drives that we had to conduct, as well as representatives for the school newspaper and the student life office. I communicated significant data effectively and clearly to my instructor, my peers and the staff at Delete Blood Cancer. I was able to adapt communication skills to the developmental needs of the individuals who were inquiring about donation by listening to the concerns of both the older and younger generations of registrants. I modified my speech based on an individual’s statements in trying to explain the process of donation. I reported and documented assessments and final number of donors registered at the fair. Objective #4: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice. N/A  Objective #5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community. I maintained strict confidentiality when handling the donor registration forms. Objective #6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development. I was able to use the brochures and booklets that Delete Blood Cancer gave to me to be prepared to answer the questions that may arise during the donor recruitment process. I assume responsibility for lifelong learning and am able to complete a self-evaluation of my experiences and of actions. I can adjust to the challenges of independent practice in community health nursing. Objective #7: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice. I complied with the standards of practice at Delete Blood Cancer DKMS and am fully accountable for my actions in the clinical area. I am aware of Delete Blood Cancer’s mission, which is to empower people to register as bone marrow donors in order to help save the life of an individual with blood cancer. Objective #8:  Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team. I worked collaboratively with the team at Delete Blood Cancer in order to advertise our event and to figure out the number of supplies we will need for the drives. Objective #9: Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services. I was able to recognize gaps in the care system, which include lack of minority bone marrow donors on the national registry. I was able to identify solutions to complex problems at Delete Blood Cancer by helping the team to research reportable infectious diseases and also finding ways to improve their brochures. My team and I also helped to come up with ways to reach nurses and physicians, so that they could start spreading the word about Delete Blood Cancer and their mission to help save lives. I was able to act as a change agent in advocating to appropriate resources. Summary When I first heard of Delete Blood Cancer, I did not know much about the organization. I was a bit nervous about what working at this site would entail but I was ready to work. As the semester went on, I was given information about the different departments and their responsibilities in the donor process, which helped me to understand the organization and their goals better. I got to see the workings of a non-profit organization and got to experience the planning of a community event. The part of this clinical experience that I liked the most was drives, where I got to explain what the organization and the process was about. The thing I will take away from this experience is the fact that from the people that my group and I registered, there could be a match for and potentially save the life of someone who is battling blood cancer.
Excerpt
Footnotes

Old New Date Created Author Actions
December 9, 2013 at 10:35 pm kjackman