NUR 4010 FA 2013

Tashiba Thomas
Self-Refection

For my clinical I was placed in the virology clinic of Bellevue hospital. My experience at the virology clinic was informative and interesting. I got the opportunity to witness the medical regiments of patients with HIV/AIDS. I mostly assistance the nurse with administering vaccinations. The following self-reflection will discuss how I met my nine clinical objectives.
Objective 1: Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.
I did demonstrate professional behavior throughout my clinical experience. I maintain client confidentiality as I didn’t discuss any patient health condition with anyone that wasn’t directly involve with the patient’s care. I did assume responsibility for my own learning, I did my own research on the HIV virus. I did seek guidance appropriately by asking the nurse questions on topics I didn’t know. I attended clinical conferences and complete any assignment given within designated time frame. I dress appropriately with my school lab coat and ID.
Objective 2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.
I did collaborate with the patient, staff nurses and other health professionals to obtain information on the patient. I did assess the impact of developmental, emotional, cultural, religious and spiritual influences on the client health status by asking the patient did they have any issues they wanted to discuss. I did collect data that was relevant to client needs such as vaccinations information sheets which I gave to the patient after interviewing them. I applied priority goals in planning nursing interventions. My nursing goal was to enhance the patient comfort level as much as I can to build a trusting relationship.
Objective 3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.
Therapeutic communication skills were utilized. The staff use open ended questions, reflection and attentively listen when communicating with the patients. I communicated clearly with staff members.
Objective 4: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence based practice.
The environment was conducive to learning. The clinic department was kept clean, quiet, safe and organized. There were informative literature available to the patients on the diseases process. The staff were generous and willing to address any questions the patients had. After educating the patient, the nurse would ask if there is anything they didn’t understand or wanted her to go over.
Objective 5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community.
I did utilize principles of nursing informatics in the clinical area. Documentation was recorded electronically by the nurse. I did maintain strict confidentiality with client records as I didn’t share any patient’s health records with anyone that wasn’t involve with providing care to the patient.
Objective 6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.
I did utilized current informative literature in educating the patients of the community. In the clinic they used information sheets from New York department of health on vaccinations. I did assume responsibility for lifelong learning by keeping the information sheets, I received from the nurse so I could retract back if needed to refresh my memory. I evaluated my performance during my clinical experience and came to the conclusion I accomplished what I wanted to. I am committed to adjusting to the challenges of independent practice in community health nursing.
Objective 7: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice.
I did provide care within the standards of the American Nurses Association and the hospital standards of practice. The patient were treated with respect, given privacy when requested and patient information was kept confidential. I did maintain accountability for my actions in the clinical area by ensuring I provided care within the facility’s mission. Which is provide the best quality care for patient with HIV/AIDS.
Objective 8: Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team
I collaborated effectively with nurses to deliver the best quality care to the patient. I counsel patients on keeping up with their medical regiments. I provided patient with resources as I educated them on what vaccination they would receive and why they were getting vaccinated. I did use therapeutic interventions such as active listening and using open ended questions when triaging patients. While maintaining a nonjudgmental approach.
Objective 9. Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.
I did recognize gaps in the care system such as language barrier. A number of the patients were Hispanic and felt most comfortable speaking Spanish. Luckily the charge nurse was of a Hispanic background.
Overall I enjoyed my experience in the virology clinic. I got the opportunity to witness the collaborative efforts of healthcare staff providing care to patients with HIV/AIDS. I learned about a current health issue.