Microbiology 3302 Spring 2013 – Getting Friendly with Bacteria

• Escherichia coli
  • #13281

danielle

My full name is Escherichia coli, but you may call me E.coli for short. I am a bacilli rod shaped, gram negative bacterium. Gram negative bacteria, such as myself, have a special outer membrane which contain lipopolysaccharides, porin channels, and murein lipoprotein. Due to the fact that my membrane contains the endotoxin, lipopolysaccharides, I can be resistant to available antibiotics. After a gram stain, I tend to be a reddish pink color. I can survive without oxygen, therefore, I am an anaerobic microorganism. I am most commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms. This is where I obtain my food, from my host. E.coli obtains carbon through biosynthesis of organic molecules. My main source of carbon comes from glucose. I can also be found in other places, such as the human urinary tract and manure of animals. There are 100 strains of E.coli, most of which are beneficial and necessary for development of the human body, and to remain healthy. However, I do have a pathogenic strain, E.coli 0157:H7, which is in the manure of animals. This can cause diarrhea, kidney damage, and even death, in extreme cases if not properly treated. In fact, the more virulence factors the strain expresses, the more severe of an infection it may cause. Some virulence determinants of pathogenic E.coli are fimbriae, flagella, endotoxins, and other toxins such as Shiga and cytotoxins, and K antigens. My genus is Escherichia, and Enterobacteriaceae is part of my family. Some of my friends in my classification tree are, haemophilus influenzae, pseudomonas aeruginosa, and vibrio cholerae.

#16798

YIneeta

Hi E.coli nice to meet you, i am Klebsiella pneumoniae, I would like to be friends with you because we have a lot in common. We are both gram negative and we are from the same family, Enterobacteriaceae.

#16942

Tanisha
    Member

Hey E. coli and K. pneumoniae, my name is Pasteurella multocida. Since we’re Gammaproteobacterias I think we could all be good friends.

#16945

Hey E.coli and K.pnuemonia my name is Salmonella typhimurium. Since we are all gram negative and from the same family of enterobacteriacea can we all be friends?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)