MAT1372 – Statistics – Spring 2016

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Commute time project

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Just a reminder to *please* record your commute time every time you come to campus! The more datapoints you have by the end of the semester will make a big difference as to how good your histogram, discussion and hence your project grade will be!

Also if you want to look at a pdf of the project description (which I handed out in class), you can download it here:
    https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/?get_group_doc=18074/1457108859-Math1372-D552-Spring2016-CommuteTimesProject.pdf

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Suman Ganguli.

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

Here is a guide to what you should do and hand in for the Commute Time Project (due Fri May 27). You can do all this in the spreadsheet in which you’ve been collected your data, and then either print out (should be 1-2 pages), or email me a a link to your spreadsheet:

–show the data
    –compute average, standard deviation, and frequency distribution (using the built-in spreadsheet functions)
    –create frequency histogram

–1-2 paragraph discussion/analysis (potential topics to address: is the standard deviation small or large? why? what are the “sources of variance” (e.g., transfers, delays, different routes, etc)? what is the general shape of the frequency distribution?)

I will write up an analysis of my commute time data so you can see an example, but as I’ve done in my spreadsheet you can (and should) compute the mean, standard deviation and frequency distribution for the data you’ve collected so far.

(the link to my spreadsheet is at the top of this thread)

Suman Ganguli
    Participant

I wrote up a short analysis of the statistics and frequency distribution for my commute time data, which I included directly in my spreadsheet. Please take a look–here is the link again:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y5tJReURqLDeYlTOxzFCwUChvCFRa__d5aIgtDnt41o/edit?usp=sharing

(I also did some further analysis, by computing the mean and standard deviation for each different route I took to campus, and discussed these numbers.)

The due date for this project is Fri May 27, but you can complete and hand in this project whenever you’re finished. If you need to collect a few more data points over the next couple weeks go ahead and do so, but I encourage you to complete it and get it out of the way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.