Living Lab Fourth Year Fellows

• Continuing the Conversation of ePorfolios
  • #13699

Prof. Karen Goodlad

Greetings from the AAC&U conference: Disruptions, Innovations and Opportunities.

Jonas and I are thinking and learning a lot about ePortfolios and how an ePorfolio can best reflect student learning. If you are planning to incorporate student reflection in your teaching could you do this with an ePortfolio? What inquiring question about your course would you ask? What aspect of learning would they reflect on? How will you integrate what you are learning from the assignment into your course?

Leave a reply to one or more of the questions above or respond with a question of your own. We would like to continue this conversation with you.

#17794

Aida Egues

Hi, All. I do incorporate the ePortfolio to reflect student learning. As part of their service learning project in Community Health Nursing, students include a self-reflection in the collective of the project, as well as in their own ePortfolio. Since the service learning project is part of the course, yet carried out in the clinical component of the course, students must self-reflect on how the project allowed them to meet their nine (9) clinical objectives. The question is thus: describe in narrative form, how did you feel that you met the nine (9) clinical objectives for the course, through the service learning project? Then, students discuss how they feel they worked to achieve professionalism, ethical conduct, political advocacy, collaboration, teamwork, etc. Their own clinical instructor evaluates the students, and this evaluation stands alone and apart from the self-reflection I ask of them. When students evaluate themselves, with honesty and planned intention, they become richer in the experience of tying didactic and clinical approaches to their conduct. Our OpenLab course sites have links to all students’ ePortfolios, which I read, and provide feedback. The entire clinical group (up to ten students) read each other’s ePortfolio Self-Reflection, and discuss them in class. To me, it is important that students post the best example of their writing, and that they share in that insightful work. As the reflections are read, I collect key points of students’ writing, anonymously share those key points, and use them to improve upon the next project of the following semester.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)