LIB/ARCH2205 Learning Places

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Midterm Extra Credit_Due 11/23

Nora Almeida
    Participant

Prompt

1. Take one question from one of your site reports or library / archive reports (edit if needed)
      2. Find a source (article or book) that addresses this question
      3. Create an APA citation for the source
      4. Write an annotation (1 paragraph summarizing key points of the article)
      5. Write an additional paragraph analyzing the source in relation to your question

Extra credit is worth: Up to 10 points on your midterm.
    Rubric:

1. the complexity and articulation of the question you pose (20%)
      2. the quality of your source (20%)
      3. format of your citation (20%)
      4. the quality of your annotation (20%)
      5. the depth of your analysis (20%)
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Nora Almeida.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Nora Almeida.

Victor Ramirez
    Participant

When was the concept of air rights develop and how has affected the landscape of New York City?

I found this article at the JSTOR database.
    Municipal Air Rights: New York City’s Proposal to Sell Air Rights over Public Buildings and Public Spaces

Citation

Schnidman, F., & Roberts, C. (1983). Municipal Air Rights: New York City’s Proposal to Sell Air Rights over Public Buildings and Public Spaces. The Urban Lawyer, 15(2), 347-378. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/stable/27893178

Annotation

Schnidman and Roberts explain the evolution of air rights from the late 1880s to the 1960s when economic forces led to the sale of air rights to build above public buildings and spaces. In addition, the authors explain how Municipal Air Right Sales have affected the development of urban growth since the 1960s in New York City.

This research is important because it describes the creation of the air concept that originally applied to the commercial use of space associated with the construction of Grand Central Terminal in 1902. In addition, it helps me to understand the ramifications of the sale of air rights above public buildings and public spaces and the future effects this may have on landmark buildings.

Victoria Cotis
    Participant

What was the main purpose of the name change from Grand Central Depot to Grand Central Terminal?

There are two similar articles that I found was based on this question, one article is called “The Heart Of New York: Grand Central Terminal” (this article was based on the first discussion in class) and the other one is called “Grand Central Terminal: An American Icon Turns 100”. However, I’m only going to choose one of them and that is “Grand Central Terminal: An American Icon Turns 100”.

APA Citation
    Maranzani, B. (2013). Grand Central Terminal: An American Icon Turns 100. Retrieved November 23, 2016, from http://www.history.com/news/grand-central-terminal-an-american-icon-turns-100

Annotation
    Grand Central Depot was built in 1871, a railroad tycoon Cornelius Vanderbilt wanted to demolish Grand Central Depot to improved and Grand Central Station was made in 1899. Ever since Grand Central Station was open, it was having some major problems. Many people was complaining about the smoking steam train that the driver couldn’t see anything. Also 15 passengers was killed due to the steam smoky trains. So Grand Central Station was demolish again, and built the final Grand Central Terminal. Grand Central Terminal have been improve a lot in order to keep the passenger safe and the steam train was remove and replace to an electric train that is hidden underground.

The research was interesting, there’s a video of construction history from Grand Central Depot to Grand Central Terminal. The source that I chose tells the main points that was based on my question. It was amazing how Grand Central Depot was before, I have no idea that Grand Central Terminal have a major history from Grand Central Depot in to Grand Central Terminal up to today.

neil85
    Participant

What was the earliest street grid system based on, did the plantations/farms have anything to do with the grid?

Article:
    The grid at 200: lines that shaped Manhattan

Citation:
    Kimmelman, M. (2012, January 3). The grid at 200: lines that shaped Manhattan. New York Times, p. A1(L). Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/ps/i.do?p=AONE&sw=w&u=cuny_nytc&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CA276164396&asid=a140de15814aab5e7dec71f1d4a4b3c3

Annotation:
    This article focused mainly on the street grid system in Manhattan. The article says that the street grid was part of the plan of Manhattan in 1811 that Simeon De Witt, Gouverneur Morris and John Rutherfurd was in charge of. The question I mentioned above was answered in different sections of that article. The article states, “grid plans went back to ancient Greece and Rome”. So, the grid system was not born in Manhattan. The other part of the question was answered where the article says that private property was irregular and that because of the grid plan, property lines had to be redrawn. I was under the impression that the farms/plantations were already in rectangular forms and the streets were just made around them. The extent of the grid is mentioned giving an idea of how much work and surveying that was necessary which is why it took 60 years. Even after this the roads were not paved, they were still “rough and ragged” as the article put it. The article mentions that at one point there were no parks but the grid plan was “flexible” enough to accommodate Central Park later on and even more where Broadway diagonally cuts some of the blocks. The article compares this grid system to other cities and gives the benefits of the grid.

The article covered both parts of my question. I originally thought that the grid system started in Manhattan since it is talked about in such a way that would make one feel like it was. I also thought that the grid system started in Manhattan because while looking at the Ratzer Map from NYPL, I saw that the early streets at the southern tip is a little similar to another NYC plan that I saw from NYPL. Also, some of the early plantations, farms and private properties were in a rectangular form just like a city block. But, the article answered this by saying that private property was irregular and that property lines had to be redrawn.

SIN FONG CHIU
    Participant

1.Take one question from one of your site reports or library / archive reports (edit if needed)
    how railroad design affect the rivers and floodplains?
    2. Find a source (article or book) that addresses this question
    Roads, Railroads, and Floodplain Fragmentation Due to Transportation Infrastructure Along Rivers.
    3. Create an APA citation for the source
    Blanton, P., & Marcus, W. A. (2014). Roads, Railroads, and Floodplain Fragmentation Due to Transportation Infrastructure Along Rivers. Annals Of The Association Of American Geographers, 104(3), 413-431. doi:10.1080/00045608.2014.892319
    4. Write an annotation (1 paragraph summarizing key points of the article)
    River floodplains affect the land area of the United States, and biodiversity and ecological. Railroads design was based on the river system structure and function at landscape scales. The railroad’s transportation disconnected some floodplain area. Using geographic information systems(GIS), we can see the extent of floodplain disconnection on the computer caused by rivers.
    5. Write an additional paragraph analyzing the source in relation to your question
    The computer software ( GIS) is able to map the soils data or digital geologic on the floodplain area. The prediction helps emergency management in floodplain.

Noorul Ain
    Participant

What is so special about Grand central?

Citation
    Maranzani, B. (2013). Grand Central Terminal: An American Icon Turns 100. Retrieved December 02, 2016, from http://www.history.com/news/grand-central-terminal-an-american-icon-turns-100

Annotation
    Writer of this article Barbara Maranzani wrote this article in 2013 when grand central turns 100. She explained how the grand central is World’s biggest train station. It was largest construction building in New York city by the time it was build. It occupies the 70-acre compound and had 32 miles of tracks. More than 4,000 bulbs light up the grand central. In many movies they used the great grand central. It was the target of Hitler during the WW2. There is also a hidden track 61 which was made for president FDR only. All these elements explained in the article make Grand central so special till now.
    This research is important because we should know the history behind the grand central as it has many sides of it. This article explained very well that how world’s largest station is remaining in its place till now. And what are things that made grand station so special.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.