LIB/ARCH2205 Learning Places

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 11.21.16 Response 5

Nora Almeida
    Participant

Listen to the Radiolab “Cities” podcast paying attention to the use of sound, research, and the format of the discussion.
    Present strategies for integrating sound effects and research into podcasts based on the Radiolab episode.

SIN FONG CHIU
    Participant

The sound effects made a huge different in the podcast. Audiences could imagine the city by listening to the sound effects. I could imagine how many people on the street by listening to people’s foot step, and walking speed. The sound effects of the music and language distinguish one place from another. Allowing the audiences to listen to the place is much more interesting than describing the detail of the place.
    The research made the podcast more reliable, especially, from a person in the professional field. We could predict how many library and average GDP in the city by counting people’s walking speed.

neil85
    Participant

This podcast was very interesting. There was an intro that gave names, a brand and idea of what the podcast is about by playing different but related sound clips. In my opinion, this podcast is directed towards people who are confused about living in a city and trying to decide if to stay there or move. The podcast is a conversation between the host and co-host of the podcast that seems to have regular shows. Even though it was a conversation between two, the sound clips made it sound like a table conversation with many guests which felt very engaging. The clips were inserted based on the context of the conversation and seemed to have a rhythm. The sound effects, I think were well placed to set a mood based on what they were talking about.

Based on this podcast, I think researched data and its source should be highlighted at that point where data is given. At some point, they mentioned scrap-booking with the lady and I thought that this podcast is kind of like a scrapbook where sound clips were mixed based on the topic. Same with scrap-booking, scraps are inserted based on a category. One strategy for inserting sound clips is developing a topic, a conversation, find sound clips related to the topic and mix them in based on the context of the conversation. Sound effects should be inserted also based on the context of the conversation and the sound clip to set a mood like in horror movies. I think setting moods make the listener more engaged.

Nagisa
    Participant

This podcast uses various types of sound effects, different countries’ music, people’s footstep, people’s talking, and so forth. Listeners can imagine easily what speakers are talking about and the atmosphere. Also, this podcast repeats their radio title several times. This makes listeners continue to listen to the radio. Speakers talk through vocal intonation depend on the story. For example, when they talk about the underground, they speak whispered sound. Radio speakers have to give information throughout only their voice, so we should think about it when we make the podcast.

sotir zhupa
    Participant

This podcast by Radiolab called”cities” used sounds, research and a format of the discussion in a way that seemed rather bizarre to me at first. Maybe this is because I haven’t listened to many podcasts in my life but its still sounded a little strange to me, but in a good way. Firstly the hosts included background noise in certain situation to give me listener a mental image of what they were discussing. For example, when they were discussing nature they put sounds that are commonly related to nature. I find this technique fascinating because it paints a mental image for the listener. Also they used research as a part of their sounds by including prerecorded conversation and interviews by the physicists and doctors to make it seem as if these “guests” were actually in the room with them and having an in person conversation with the hosts. Each of the sounds and prerecorded voices were strategically placed to match the context of the conversation they were having or the point they were trying to get across. The discussion between the host and co-host was formatted in such a way that made it seem as if it was an interview, but through cleaver editing, they were they only ones talking in the studio and the “guests” were just past interview that these people did. Using all these techniques they were able to make a very enjoyable podcast that you want to listen to.

In relation to our class podcasts we could similarly use background noise to keep the listener engaged. Although the use of the “guests” voices was brilliant in Radiolab’s podcast and was part of their research we could use people statements differently by quoting them and giving them credit.

Victoria Cotis
    Participant

As I was listening to the podcast called “Cities”, it was very interesting. The podcast was using many types of sound effect that makes the sound so realistic such as music, cars honking, people conservations, and walking. While listening to the sound effect of the cities, the audiences can imagine of themselves that there are in the city for those who never went to the cities . This make the audience wanted to listen the podcast even more.

In my opinion, this podcast discussion was about what makes the cities so special? I think this podcast was made for those audience who’s never been to a cities and wanted to ask people around who lives in the specific cities and ask them what they think about the cities.

Noorul Ain
    Participant

This podcast was about cities. Speakers were talking bout different cities from all over the world that how each city has its own unique style. They were using different sounds to make podcast more interesting to their listeners like if they are talking about fog, wind or rain they uses different music and sounds for it, so their listener can feel that things without even seeing it. They discuss many things that make up any city. Which include people who live there and their culture. It was good listening to podcast, when they talk to people from different cities around the world you feel like you are actually in that city. People who never been to cities for them listening to this podcast will give them clear image of any city they want to visit, and they will get a idea how is any city look like without even going there. Because they tell so much details and use different sounds to make people feel they are in the city.

Bryan Ortiz
    Participant

This podcast was surprising in my opinion. I thought it was just going to be people talking about cities, and I didn’t expect the sound effects in it. The sound effects really made what they were talking about much more interesting, which made me keep listening. For example, the conversations synced with the effects to make it sound like a busy street downtown, with all the people and cars. Based on this podcast, my group will have to give good information and try to keep the listener engaged in the meantime.

Richard Lok
    Participant

This podcast presents a very vast and interesting use of different types of sounds. Everyday sounds that give a strong visualization of the scenery as well as music that describe the current mood or reaction. The use of research breaks down to experience, experiments, articles, interviews. There’s two hosts that present a topic being discussed. Giving insights and asking questions on it while the experts and guests elaborate and explain each topic/subtopic. Experts are either live with them or an audio recording is presented that give a detail scope on a certain subject. The hosts would give a narrative point of view whenever they present a recording of an audio or an audio recording of a video.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Richard Lok.

Steven Baculima
    Participant

This podcast was very unique to other podcast Ive heard, the use of sound effects was used very interestingly by combining it with the commentary. You listen to the background of sounds you hear in the city and it gives you perspective on what this podcast is about. This podcast also uses different voices for different words.

Maryse Maurice
    Participant

I listened to the radioLab “cities” podcast. In the podcast, there was different type of sounds, such as music, busy streets, etc. I think this podcast was just to give people who never been to different cities a view of what to expect. And the sounds play an important role in the podcast, because by using different sounds allow the listeners to have a better picture about the cities. also, the sounds make the podcast more interesting every time they discuss a different point. It gives me an idea how to capture the listeners attention for our class podcasts.

Nora Almeida
    Participant

Victor Ramirez

The theme of the podcast was cities and the format was a discussion panel. There were many topics discussed by experts. They explained how cities are organic medium in constant growth. In addition, the topics discussed were diversity, water, underground tunnels and Centralia in PA.

The sounds and effects used in the podcast were: different musical rhythms, a robotic voice, ambient sounds, walking steps, cars, church and mosques music, animals sounds, water in the underground tunnels, water splashing, fireworks, a marshal band and beeping sounds.

Jesus Mendoza
    Participant

The use of sound effects throughout the podcast really added a sort of ambiance to the overall discussion. I could hear the sound of the big city and the common noises you would normally hear while walking down the streets of a city of Manhattan. The incorporation of funny noises like the sound of the cow mooing added some levity and humor to their discussion. When the relaxing music began it made me feel quite comfortable and also allowed me to keep on paying attention. It was the same as when our professor put on music in order to keep us focused on our research. Using sound effects and music in our group projects may actually keep us relaxed and help us speak calmly and allow us to collectively gather our thoughts. It also helps to have sounds that add to the actual podcast. Overall it was pretty listening to the various sound effects in the podcast.

Deven Guerrero
    Participant

This podcast caught my attention and i became very interested in the techniques used to catch people attention. For example, in the beginning of the podcast, sound affects or “onomatopoeia” was being used, such as the sound of the streets, cars, background audiences. I believe this was portrayed to give people an idea of “The City.” The sound affects related to the topic and i think this is one way to intrigue an audience. The format in which the podcast described “cities” made me feel as if i was listening to an outdoor radio station. If i weren’t born and raised in the city, after listening to this podcast, i would assume that the city is the same way the podcast exposed it. Lastly, what i found interesting also was how the hosts would give a narrative point of view whenever they present a recording of an audio or an audio recording of a video

TShields
    Participant

The podcast was about cities and the sounds found in them along with commentary. It’s interesting to me because I’ve never really heard this type of podcast and I’ve heard many over the course of my life. They talked about how cities are mediums and how they are in constant growth. They also spoke about other various topics like underground tunnels and water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.