HUS 1203, Fall 2017

• Professional essay
  • #45485

Samuel Robert

Samuel Robert
    Professional Essay
    10/24/17

My name is Samuel Robert and I am 18 years old. I am the last child of three children. My parents are immigrants who came from the caribbean island of Haiti. I was born in Brooklyn, New York on February 9, 1999. The first six years of my life were spent in Haiti. After my birth, my parents took me to Haiti to be raised and to see where they came from. At a very young age, I seen things that an average American kid wouldn’t have seen. Haiti is one of the poorest country in the world and it was a everyday struggle for people to find clean water to drink and a meal to eat. I was very fortunate and grateful to have working parents that was able to take care of me and the rest of the family. Even though our circumstances wasn’t the best in the world, we were just happy to have a roof over our head and food in the house. My mom was a nurse and had a pharmacy. I remember seeing her giving extra help to her customers that cried for help. She was a helping hand to society and made it her priority to help those who need her help. Being exposed to that generosity taught me at a young age that not everyone is as fortunate as you and I became very empathetic for people. When I came back to the U. S, the transition was pretty easy. Learning English was a challenge but not impossible. I attended Jackie Robinson Elementary School then Ditmas Junior High School. From there, I went to Midwood High School and now I am currently attending New York City College of Technology. I am in the Human Services program and I am going to tell you why I joined it.
    My mother is my role mother. She is a hard-worker and there is nothing that she can not do. She is a very caring person and love to help people. She is the reason why I choose to get into this profession. I wanted to become a nurse like her but I am not very good in science and I hate hospitals. Another way I knew that I can help others was by becoming a Human Service worker. But that was not the only reason why I joined this program. I joined this program to be a role model. Human Service workers are exposed to a lot of different people and cultures. I am excited to learn about the lives of my future patients and give them advices that can hopefully change their lives. Most people just want to be heard and have someone there to actively listen to them and that is what I am here to do.
    I am a very lay back person and easy to talk to. I am understandable and try my best not to be judgemental. Growing up in a Christian household, I was raised around having morals and living life the right way according to the doctrine of the Bible. Faith is what I base my life around. It has made me the person I am today. Faith in God and faith that there is goodness in everyone in the world. Even the craziest con or a very dangerous terrorist have some type of goodness in my eyes. I am an excellent listener and love to give people my undivided attentions when they are speaking. These skills are needed in Human Service and I am very grateful that I possess these skills naturally. I know that everyone doesn’t have the same views on things and I respect people’s views even if it is at complete contradictory with my views. This strength is more than needed when being in the Human Services professional and I have that.
    The client population that I would like to work with are teenagers. By working with them, I can learn the new slangs that the future has to offer and be kept posted on what is going on in social media. Teenagers can be really hard to work with because at that stage in someone’s life, they think they know it all meanwhile they know nothing. Most teenagers aren’t properly prepared to enter adulthood and do not have their priorities straight . Many people can be blame for this problem. I want to be the person that educate teens on the problems that people at their age are going through and let them know that they are not alone. Teenagers are very gullible and easy to influence. They can be very hard headed and don’t like listening to older people. It’s going to be very hard for me to try and get them to listen to me. Especially for the ones that don’t even listen to their parents. I’m going to have to be very patient and not be bothered by nasty attitudes and rude comments. Changing a person’s life while they are still a teenager is very beneficial to them making wise decisions in their adulthood. A human service skill that I begun to develop is breaking down someone’s life and seeing how different factors in people’s life can cause them to make the decisions that they make.This skill is perfect for working with this population because not many people can understand why teenagers do the things they do.
    My career path to me is very bright. I plan to graduate from this program with a Bachelor’s degree and continue on to get my master’s degree. I am not so sure on what I want to get my master’s degree on but it would be something that is along the line with my career. I hope to be a counselor and one day have my own private practice. I will continue to hone my skills by continuing to go to school and keeping up with the techniques and technology that are used in my field.
    In conclusion, I am more than excited in my journey in the Human Service program. I am not regretful at all for joining it and I want to be the best worker I can be. Although many problems are waiting for me, I am ready for the challenge. I am a leader and enjoy helping people. I never feel out of my comfort zone in this program and I hope it continues that way.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)