HUS 1203, Fall 2017

• ariel stewart Professional essay
  • #45935

ariel

My parents were born and raised in jamaica,but as for me i was born in suny downstate hospital and have been living in brooklyn, new york ever since. I currently attend New York City College Of Technology majoring in Human services.Being in the field of human services is a great journey with many different career paths and opportunities. My goal is to be a social worker, working with youth and teens who are in the system for foster care working with an agency such as ACS.
                 Growing up, i enjoy helping and comforting others. I never really  expect anything in return as long as the person or group of people are in better condition than how they were in before. Becoming a human services worker is one way that i am able to see life at different angles and  from other people point view. As a Human services worker i am able to work in many different environments such as , hospital, schools, nursing, agencies etc. I also have an opportunity for growth being able to work hard and get rewarded in a sense where i’m given bigger opportunities and  i’d still have room to accomplish more.
          To be a good worker you should have character traits to fulfill it. I would define myself as someone who is caring. I enjoy taking care of others and making sure their okay. Sometimes people need a shoulder to cry on and i tend be that shoulder a lot . i am very understanding, it is not hard for me to understand someone’s situation i often give advice that benefits the person and resolves their situation. It’s often just up to them if they take in the things that i advise. I am a logical thinker, which is one of the important traits to being a human services worker. You sometimes may have to think outside of the box or have very great reasoning skills in order to solve a problem or bring a point across.
             The client population i’d like to work with are young children- teenagers. Working with this population is  being able to keep a youthful mind and understanding the child or teenager’s mindset. You  also have to be able to tolerate the different behavior and the views they may have. Working with this population i would learn how they operate and what the different waves are. Waves meaning their common slang and the things as an adult you would consider immature.i would also learn what makes this population happy or what keeps them going on a day to  day bases. For example is it the latest name brand, or having that dream of being president or making their parents. I get to learn why the generation is the way it is using logical thinking. As i enjoy watching people grow and change dealing with children and teens is the best way to go for me. I chose this population because they often deal with things like depression, neglect,bullying or even suicidal thoughts. Teens especially often need someone to talk to who is able to understand and not be judgemental. Sometimes the parents won’t understand what going on with the child/teenager because as most of them would think “you are only a child what problems do you have”. This most times cause them to bottle up their emotions instead of finding someone to talk to.
           From the time of graduation to ten years i envision myself working in an agency such as ACS. My goal is to receive my bachelors and begin in an agency as a social worker. To keep up to date and be evolved with the different methods and technology around and used in the field i plan on attending classes and continuing to study and even learning/observing new things about working in the field.
             In conclusively, being in the human services field means being able to cope with other people’s problems. As a professional it is  always important to understand your client and the situation. This is so that you are able to know how to handle or approach it. It is also important to keep yourself as the professional safe and not at risk.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)