Historic Preservation Theory and Practice Spring 2013

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Week 1 ( Understanding of historc preservation) Evgueni Sosa

sosa

When asked what my understanding of historic preservation is, at first I might be tempted to say it is merely to distinguish significant changes in practices in the architectural and construction field. A selection of works that have changed our perception on the built environment from that point forward. As in the words of Socrates “ there is only one evil, ignorance and only one good knowledge. Thus from this saying we may assume that knowledge that comes in the form of preserved learned practices in the course of the implementation of newly found construction method that did not exist in there current time of implementation. This view of preservation would lead to the safeguarding of multiple singular projects that in there own right have changed the view of our built environment no matter how significant the wave of change might have been. This would allow all coming generations to gain the benefit of the learned experience in the form of its first practical implementation.
    It is then however hard to visualize how such preservation outlooks might benefit future societies. They will have the benefit of learning first hand the instances that lead to the current understanding of our modern building practices. But they will ultimately be void of an overall encompassing energy of the time. By energy I mean the general motivations that lead to societies quest for such innovations. Thus is it my belief that current preservation practices should seek to salvage remnants of societies past architectural endeavors through defining the needs and technological advancements that propelled society to its current state.
    For me Preservation has a great significance, especially with the current miasma of information platforms that have steadily created a disconnect between individuals and there physical surroundings. Technological advancements such as satellites have created a world that has been increasingly living in a “E-sphere” or a global village. These living standards have propagated the affects of communication. Constant communication has allowed individuals from around the world to work together on issues challenging today’s society. This constant effort has lead to an accelerated pace of evolution. A pace that has and will continue to lead to times and frontiers never before faced by humanity.
    Thus in conclusion Technology is changing our world at a rapid pace. With constant evolution and change it might be easy to loose sight of the knowledge and experiences that have formed the foundation of our world. Thus preservation for me is more critical today as it was in the past because of the accelerated pace of change. Such pace of change may ultimately lead to a disconnect between the essence that created our past and to the current perception of the world. Let us not loose who we are in the current bounty of information and constant change.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.