Films from Literature ENG 2400

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• point of view and slow motion

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Anderson,

You are so perceptive, like noticing the window’s edge in Atonement!

I mentioned in a link sent to Virginia on Oct. 15 a little of the background technology of slow-mo.

I do believe camera speeds were adjusted during filming (before digital editing, when human hands had to cut and glue film scenes together), but it probably is just as effective and even easier to slow down the frame rate during editing now with digital editing on computers.

When a film uses starts, stops, slow, all in the same sequence it is variable speeds and I am not sure what the special name for it
    as in Snatch. I will have to take another look at Scott Pilgrim to see if it is done differently… It has been a while since I last watched it.

Regarding POV, I included the Jaws police chief due to the way the camera oddly zooms in on his reaction, the immediately following scene of pandemonium on the beach was there for context and, yes, they show omniscient POV.

Regarding Get Out, the POV shots make sense to show the character’s fear, but it is the screenplay and character developments that may show the black experience, not strictly speaking the camera angles. The hypnosis scene probably would have been filmed the same regardless of the character’s race, I think.

Jabir Alam
    Participant

A) Please list three things you may have learned in this compilation.

POV shots tend to represent what an actor sees.

POV is also used to show physical and mental impairments

POV shots are often used to take the reaction of the characters while looking at something

B) Please list at least one question that you now have about POV

How do POV Shots help Make the Film a Classic?

Please mention one thing you liked about this presentation

I really enjoyed the scene from “Cloverfield” the entire scene is shown through POV and Showing character’s physical and mental impairments, everyone was showing emotions crying. screaming

A) Please mention at least two things you may have learned in this compilation.

I learned that slow-motion effects can show the viewers perceive facial expression and a greater amount of detail, in the scene from ‘’THEY SHOOT HORSE DONT THEY” in the scene, we can see people are depressed frustrated, and running for money.

B) Think of one question you now have about slow-mo.

Why aren’t slow-motion used more frequently in emotional comedy movies?

C) Mention one thing you like about this presentation.
    One thing I liked in the presentation in the scene from “forest Gump” where forest was bullied and three boys were chasing him and forest was running for his life not caring about his legs

Salina Shrestha
    Participant

Questions for discussion

– POV can be used through a character’s voiceover during important events in their lives and we are able to get a sense of their background.
    – Alfred Hitchcock has used a lot of POV shots throughout his films which adds more tension to the suspense in his stories.
    – POV can also be used through an animal’s perspective.

B) Please list at least one question that you now have about POV.
    – How was the mirror scene shot in Enter the Void ?

C) Please mention one thing you liked about this presentation.
    – I liked the scene in Silence of the Lambs because I have never seen a scene like that before. It really gives a feeling of anxiety in such a simple way.

Slo-Mo

– Sometime the slow motion effect is used to create the characters fantasies and helps make the scene more sexualized.
    – Slow motion can create tension. For example, in Do the Right Thing, the scene where the white cops and staring at the black men doing nothing.

B) Please think of a question you now have about slo-mo.
    – What is the process like when shooting a slow motion scene and how long does it take to get everything right?

C) Please mention one thing you liked about this video.
    One thing I liked about this video is the scene in They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, where he shoots the woman and the scene transitions to her in a flowery field.

D) When you have seen slo-mo BEFORE watching this, did you have any reaction: did you enjoy it, feel it is unnecessary, find any slo-mo scenes memorable, or not even noticed it?
    The slow motion opening scene in Zombieland was really memorable for me because it had bits of scary and comedic effects to it.

Jimcya
    Participant

he first one is about POV (point of view) in films
    1) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=POV+.mp4

Questions for discussion

What I learned is that a point of view refers to the place from which a person observes a situation. We were able to see an omniscient point of view in the first person, where the points of view were alternating and changing from one character to another. This was able to change the point of view as the movie progresses, how we can use a POV to reflect the mental states of the characters, also we can see how a point of view can achieve more suspense.

How can you choose the correct point of view in an interpretation?
    In the movie “The Lady in the Lake” what seemed surprising to me was how the two cases were treated in a very different way by the media is something we have to reflect on, besides that it presents alternate stories in the first and third person.

Slo-Mo

2) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=Slow+Mo.avi
    82 minutes 11 GB

or the same in a different file type

2) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=Slo+Mo.f4v
    82 min 818 MB

I learned that slow motion is a visual effect that allows you to artificially slow down action to increase visual or emotional impact. It can be used to get some visual effect, to make something more attractive. For example, it is used to see in greater detail how a person is running or how an object is moving, specifically an accident.

B) Please think of a question you now have about slo-mo.
    could you achieve slow-motion focus in low light?
    at some point will a movie be able to exist in slow motion completely?

in each scene, there was a shot since it allows us to see all that more exciting process from when the bullet was fired until it reached the target.

D) When you have seen slo-mo BEFORE watching this, did you have any reaction: did you enjoy it, feel it is unnecessary, find any slo-mo scenes memorable, or not even noticed it?
    I feel that all the movies that exist slow motion are ideal because it adds a special touch to a funny moment in a movie.

diana
    Participant

The film of Forest Gump had offscreen voiceover is the primary way to translate of the first narration
    Scenes are like real life, of a videogame being reality. Also, other scene where the actors are exactly talking directly to the camera.
    How do they make it real when they want the audience feel is real?
    Slo-Mo
    2) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ullhb1h17i2h7s/AAD9bYJ-8_DPZJr92bhODPG5a?dl=0&preview=Slow+Mo.avi
    82 minutes 11 GB
    Two things I learned that during a slow motion scene looks so real, visual, violent or someone beautiful.
    b) Please think of a question you now have about slo-mo.
    How come other movies do not do slow motion especially killing/thrilling films
    One thing I like is that it does make an improvement on films, more interest about the film.
    I have once but not as many like I think some films should have. I think the vampire diaries have some scenes that are fast or slow motion. Another similar would be Twilight.

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

Diana,

Can you think of a slo-mo scene you could describe from Twilight?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.