Films from Literature ENG 2400

You are currently viewing a revision titled "Document 2 Classwork for Sept. 4 (also see Document 3)", saved on September 9, 2020 at 6:53 pm by Prof. Masiello
Title
Document 2 Classwork for Sept. 4 (also see Document 3)
Content
(From p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, alliteration, and personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking) line 2 metaphor:“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up at night to constellations without the use of "as" or "like"). 1 The sun made its usual round of the house as the afternoon ripened into evening. 2 I had a drink. […] Most of the dandelions had changed from suns to moons. 3 […]An old fence at the back of the garden separated us from the neighbor's 4 garbage receptacles and lilacs; but there was nothing between the front end of 5 our lawn (where it sloped along one side of the house) and the street. Therefore I 6 was able to watch (with the smirk of one about to perform a good action) for 7 the return of Charlotte […]. As I lurched and lunged with the hand mower, bits 8 of grass optically twittering in the low sun, I kept an eye on that section of 9 suburban street. It curved in from under an archway of huge shade trees, then 10 sped towards us down, down, quite sharply, past old Miss Opposite's ivied 11 brick house and high-sloping lawn (much trimmer than ours) and disappeared 12 behind our own front porch which I could not see from where I happily belched 13 and labored. The dandelions perished. A reek of sap mingled with the 14 pineapple. Two little girls, Marion and Mabel, whose comings and goings I had 15 mechanically followed of late (but who could replace my Lolita?) went toward 16 the avenue (from which our Lawn Street cascaded), one pushing a bicycle, the 17 other feeding from a paper bag, both talking at the top of their sunny voices. 18 Leslie, old Miss Opposite's gardener and chauffeur, a very amiable and athletic (From p. 50 of the pdf version) Please find and label examples of similes, alliteration, and personification. Ex. line 1 personification: “The sun made its usual round” (as if the sun is walking) line 2 metaphor:“[…] the dandelions had changed from suns to moons” (comparing the flowers which close up at night to constellations without the use of "as" or "like"). 19 Negro, grinned at me from afar and shouted, re-shouted, commented by 20 gesture, that I was mighty energetic today. The fool dog of the prosperous 21 junk dealer next door ran after a blue car--not Charlotte's. The prettier of the 22 two little girls (Mabel, I think), shorts, halter with little to halt, bright hair--a 23 nymphet, by Pan!--ran back down the street crumpling her paper bag and was 24 hidden from this Green Goat by the frontage of Mr. and Mrs. Humbert's 25 residence. A station wagon popped out of the leafy shade of the avenue, 26 dragging some of it on its roof before the shadows snapped, and swung by 27 at an idiotic pace, the sweat shirted driver roof-holding with his left hand and 28 the junkman's dog tearing alongside. There was a smiling pause--and then, 29 with a flutter in my breast, I witnessed the return of the Blue Sedan. I saw it 30 glide downhill and disappear behind the corner of the house. I had a glimpse of 31 her calm pale profile. It occurred to me that until she went upstairs she would not 32 know whether I had gone or not.
Excerpt
Footnotes