Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Apr. 15 Streetcar one-word answer (plus music videos)

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

You probably do not realize that there was a time that “adult” language was more common in the theater (plays) than in films. Of course, nowadays every word in the book is spoken to excess in movies (to the point of exhaustion). When A Streetcar Named Desire was first produced on Broadway, in the play version you read, there are words that were too strong for 1951 movie audiences.

1) There is a word used about Blanche’s dead young husband on page 99 of the pdf I gave you that is so strong and offensive that even in 2024 most people do not use it to discuss gay people. Please look for it. By the way, Tennessee Williams was a gay writer, a great writer.

Did you find the word? Please type it as a response.
    2) Also, on page 83 of the pdf, Blanche says something in French to Mitch. It was noticeably absent from the film script although many US moviegoers in 1951 may not have understood it anyway: “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi c’est soir?”

It is funny how times have changed. Her very naughty words became lyrics in a 1970s disco song, “Lady Marmalade.”

a) Here is the song (which I think you have heard) in its original 1975 version:

b) If you look further on YouTube, you will find a slicker, more sexualized, all-diva version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZk

c) and an all-male, gay version:

And Tennessee Williams’ deleted play line may have started it all!

It is surely an earworm.

Angel Padilla
    Participant

1.) Degenerate

Yes!

Mehriniso
    Participant

1. The word that Stella uses to describe Blanche’s dead young husband is “degenerate” on page 99 of the reading. Stella uses this word to characterize Allan to Stanley (her husband) to say that Allan has become worse or less developed over time. It can also mean to become morally corrupt or behave in a way that’s considered unacceptable or immoral.

That word was about Allan’s sexuality.

Tshari Yancey
    Participant

1). Stella calls Blanche’s dead young husband a degenerate as an insult. Almost using it as a way to say he was “sick” mentally because he was a homosexual and back then it was looked down upon as something so disgusting. In the end just from the shame of Blanche finding out he commited suicide which shows the extent of society views about gayness in the 40s.

2). The term Voulez-vous coucher avec moi c’est soir means Do you want to sleep with me tonight? interesting that he took it out. Blanche said it to prove that Mitch can’t understand French. Also like you stated above american audiences would not have understood it anyway but I guess that’s the strict precautions of censorship .

A very good reply, well expressed.!

Kenneth Cao
    Participant

1. Stella calls Blanche’s deceased husband a degenerate. It can be portrayed as someone who’s mentally unwell as Stella might have called him that because he committed suicide or the fact that he is homosexual.

Most likely it was the latter.

Mu Song
    Participant

1) Blanche’s dead husband was called a “degenerate” probably due to finding out he is a homosexual.

Definitely that is what was meant since homosexuality was not as acceptable as it is nowadays.

Alyssa skerret
    Participant

1) The word that is used to describe Blanche’s dead husband, Alan, is, “degenerate.” This is due to Blanche finding him in bed with another man and coming to terms with his sexuality.

Adonis C
    Participant

1.) Degenerate. Allan Gray was discovered homosexual when his then wife (Blanche) found him in bed with a man. Same-sex relationships were looked down upon to a far greater extent back then.

TravisBowry
    Participant

The word that was used to describe her dead husband was degenerate after she found out he was homosexual in bed with another man.

Angel Ordonez
    Participant

1) Blanche’s young dead husband was called a “degenerate” for being an outed homosexual. Unfortunately, her diseased ex-husband ended his own life as a result of this.

2) The term, ““Voulez-vous coucher avec moi c’est soir?”, means , ” Do you want to sleep with me tonight”, in english.

Naila
    Participant

Blanche’s dead husband is referred to as a degenerate.

The words <span style=”background-color: #f0f0f0; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>Voulez-vous coucher avec moi c’est soir? </span>

mean do you want to sleep with me? I first heard it as the Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, pink, etc version.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.