Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

• Feb. 9 (2 of 3) Sexual Symbolism
  • #89704

Prof. Masiello

Please watch the video on sexual symbolism (46 min.):

Sexual Symbolism24.mp4 (dropbox.com)

1) Prior to this video, can you remember watching any movie or TV show  in which you sensed there was something being used as a sexual symbol? Please name the film and the object(s).

1a) Do you think writers also use such symbolism or is it for films because they are a visual medium?

2) Do you think that all such symbols are deliberate, or might there be times when a viewer can somehow see some extra meaning that was not intended by the filmmaker?  Regarding 1933’s King Kong, modern viewers see many phallic symbols, but it is possible the filmmakers back then did not intend them.

Please name a film and an object that might qualify as unintended symbolism if you can.

3) Why do you think filmmakers may use sexual symbols?

4) Was there any scene in the video compilation that you enjoyed or disliked? Please explain.

Please post your replies here by Thursday at 10:00 PM.

#92590

Mu Song

1. In Toy Story 2, Buzz Lightyear was looking at Jessie and his back wings popped out and it could’ve symbolized an erection.  Yes!

1a. I think writers also use such symbolism to help readers visualize what could be happening or let readers use their imagination as to what would be happening similar to how some films use symbolism. However, I do think that symbolism works better with films since it’s easier to see what the symbol could be.

2. I don’t think all symbols were deliberate; sometimes I feel like certain films have a certain tone or mood that they set and the symbol doesn’t make sense with it. I also think that some things are just naturally seen as a symbol for something else so they could be using the object without intending to use the meaning of the symbol.  Sigmond Freud famously said, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar” as his way of saying we can sometimes over analyze symbols, but it is a fun intellectual activity to do nonetheless.

Little Mermaid and the Castle
    3. I think filmmakers may use sexual symbols simply because it’s an interesting easter egg to find, especially for adults. It could also be used to foreshadow some sexual tension or frustration a character has with sexual symbols shown by the character. Another thing sexual symbols are used is due to censorship since some things they aren’t allowed to physically show but instead, they could insinuate it. Nicely expressed, Mu, but I am unclear why your paragraph is preceded by a Little Mermaid phrase…

4. I liked the scene within the “Man of Steel” movie because it was something I never really noticed as a child but seeing that scene know the shape of the ships being phallic is a little interesting choice to be a ship. It’s also interesting in the way that I doubt the comics used something similar so it was completely added from the filmmakers.

Do you think those “penile” ships meant anything or were they just the filmmakers  inserting humor?

#92602

Mehriniso

1. Aladdin (1992) – I think when the genie talks about the Earth not moving until the honeymoon was meant to be sexual. Yes.

1a. Writers also use such symbolism because even though we can’t see it, the readers can imagine what’s happening in that scene. So, such symbolism can be used in books although the readers can’t visually see it they can create a picture in their heads. In books it is harder more challenging to find.

2. Sometimes we speak in a way that we think is correct but the other person might take it the wrong way. Proper verbal communication is important to understand each other effectively. In terms of films, I think there can be times when the filmmakers didn’t intend that scene or word in the wrong way but the audience might understand it differently because everyone has different opinions/feelings/experiences and thoughts.

3. I think filmmakers may use sexual symbols to entertain adults without the kids knowing if they’re watching. It can also be to make the movie more comical so that the audiences are entertained. In addition, many filmmakers search for ways to express intimate scenes and how the characters feel about each other.  Nicely expressed, Mehriniso.

4. I disliked the first commercial for the hotdogs because it wasn’t a symbol but rather a sign.

The funny symbolism in this fake commercial (made for the Conan O’Brien Show) was in the way the man reacted to having a hotdog offered to him when it looked so much like a penis.

After all, it was pretty straightforward of them to advertise a sausage-shaped woman’s breast. In addition, the “Pirates of the Caribbean” was also disturbing because it’s supposed to be a family movie.

#92634

Angel Padilla

1.) I remember watching the Little Rascals one time and the there’s a protagonist in the movie who’s name is Alfalfa. He’s in a relationship with this girl named Darla and when she goes to kiss his cheek, his single hair stands up. This is an adult joke where it symbolizes the character having an erection.  He has what is called a “cowlick.”   If it were a single hair, we couldn’t see it!

1a.) Writers definitely use such symbolism but it’s different than it being visually represented in a film since the text can allow the reader to come up with the scene on their own. If it’s being displayed in a film, it’s different since it’s in a more visual lens but when you’re reading something, it gives you the opportunity to imagine the symbol’s strength and how it’s represented throughout the story.

2.) I personally don’t think such symbols are deliberate in films. There’s a lot of unintentional sexual imagery in most films even though the filmmakers didn’t intend for that to happen. It’s all a matter of the relationship between the movie and the viewer, because sometimes I’ve viewed things that caught in movies that caught me off guard that wasn’t meant to be a part of the actual story. It’s just there simply for the sake of being there.  If they are there for humor, and not by mere accident, they are there deliberately.

3.) I think filmmakers use sexual symbols as a way to create hidden symbols for adults to enjoy. This definitely plays a role in my life because when I was a kid, most of the adult jokes I seen on kids movies completely flew over my head when I was little. Now that I’m an adult, these jokes are so perfectly hidden to the point where it’s genuinely entertaining. Yes.

4.)  To be completely honest, I genuinely disliked the first commercial that was shown. It had nothing to do with the overall symbolism and the message behind it, it had more so to do with the fact that it was uncomfortable to watch.  It was made to be funny, Angel, and is not a real commercial.  The way the man cringes and recoils when offered a regular hotdog is funny because he overreacts, and suddenly we hear the gay song “Relax” and see two men in very “leather-bar” looking outfits behind him.

#92671

Kenneth Cao

1. In spongebob there are a few structures that can be interpreted as a sexual symbol such as certain body parts.  Could you provide an example?

1a. I do think that writers use such symbolism since it is up to the reader to interpret such symbols according to their imagination. Having the symbolism being portrayed in writing gives the reader multiple possibilities in comparison to watching a fixed image.

2. I do not think all symbols are deliberate. Sometimes people have a different way of thinking and it affects the way people perceive such symbols whether it was intentionally used in a sexual way or not. For example in the first scene in the video compilation “hotdogs for homophobes” the person was reluctant to eat a normal hotdog because they viewed it as a person’s private parts.

3. I think filmmakers may use sexual symbols to present ideas that adults will understand while children may remain unaware. In addition I also think that sexual symbols are also used for jokes and comedic values. As an adult, knowing the context of some sexual symbols as a joke might be humorous to some people.

4. One of the scenes I disliked would be the first scene where they ate breast shaped hotdogs. It was uncomfortable to watch. Although I can see where they were going with the different shaped hotdogs, nevertheless it was still unpleasant to watch.

#92737

Tshari Yancey

1).  In the animated film Robots, these two robot parents receive the parts to build their baby robot. The mother says making the baby “is the fun part”.

1a). Writers use symbolism to express the sentiment across the screen. I would say some deliberately put it in the film to see what the audience can pick or how it connects to them. It is a way to convey ideas and emotions without explicitly stating them.

2). Symbolism can also be unintentional that the audience feels that it was a theory meant to be dived into, the usage of of symbolism can raise a film to a more artistic level, giving apparently straightforward stories profundity and subtlety that change their fabric into masterworks. They use it for interpretation. Sometimes it can be a play on the literal aspect of things which makes it a joke in the ironic sense.

3). Filmmakers use sexual symbolism for a certain edge in their films mostly testing the viewers. Old films couldn’t have a sex scene or sexual content in them because it would go past the censorship that was required at the time. I think it developed from sneaking around that concept & adding it in a way that would fly over the majority’s head. Very interesting, Tshari.

4). The first commercial is a little ignorant but at the time people made jokes that would today offend the majority of the viewers. It’s ridiculous that eating a hot dog would make you gay or people would perceive you as that.  It wasn’t the eating; it was the shape of the hotdog that bothered the guy.

#92772

Alyssa skerret

1) In the movie Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) uses objects such as handcuffs, blindfolds, and ties that symbolize sexual exploration and power dynamics within the context of the film’s BDSM themes.  Those “props” allude to sexual bondage but they are not exactly symbols.

1a) Writers do use symbolism that way readers can grasp the deeper meanings and emotions of the work. For this reason, I feel like writers include symbols in the form of objects, actions, and characters that way readers can understand and analyze the symbolic meanings that reveal hidden meanings and themes.

2) Unintentional symbols can occur when a filmmaker fails to recognize the subconscious, which may lead viewers to resonate with the symbol in ways the filmmaker may not have foreseen. Keep in mind cultural context tends to change throughout the years which can lead to new meanings for these symbols as cultural norms change.

3) In my opinion, there are many reasons why filmmakers may use sexual symbols. One of the reasons why I think they use sexual symbols is to add depth and complexity. These symbols can give the movie more levels of significance, enhancing the story, and allowing multiple interpretations. This can make the film more interesting and engaging for viewers.  Alyssa, it seems so many of the symbols used in the video are meant to be funny.  

4) I enjoyed seeing the movie Horrible Bosses (2011) being included because I always found Jennifer Aniston’s role, a sex addict who is obsessed with Dale funny to me.

#92783

Bryan Jimenez

1) I remember watching the film Cars, the main protagonist, Lightning McQueen gets “flashed” by his female fans which makes him flustered.  Good!
    1a. Writers do use such symbolism because it allows the reader to visualize what is happening in the story and it makes the reader more engaged with the story. Symbolism in literature allows you to look at things while you are reading to have a deeper meaning and emotion.

If you can find it.  Lolita has various words included in the book about body parts that are possibly too obscure for the average reader to understand easily.
    2) I don’t think all symbols are deliberate because people can have different perspectives on different types of symbolism. In the film Jaws, directed by Steven Spielberg, the shart could be looked at as a symbol of fear. However, some viewers said that the shark can also symbolize societal fears or anxieties. Spielberg may not have deliberately made the shark as a symbol but the viewers did using their perspective and interpretation.

Who has ever actually state the shark is a symbol for fear?   Do you have a source?

3) I think filmmakers may use sexual symbols to keep the older audience entertained as it makes them laugh. It can provoke a strong emotional reaction and grab the audience’s attention which can be used for conveying a message or theme.
    4) A scene that I disliked from the video compilation is from the film Brewster McCloud when the woman was putting mustard on the hotdog. I found it kind of weird and unpleasant to watch.  Ok, Bryan.  The point of it was to show that the young woman was sexually stimulated by the young man who was exercising while barely dressed. 

#92801

TravisBowry

1) In the first Sherk movie when Sherk says in a joking manner that one of the characters is compensating for something when he sees he has a large castle.   Yes, Travis.  

1a)I do think writers use similar symbolism despite not being something that you can physically see. By using symbolism in their writing it gives the reader a clear vision of what point or action they are trying to get across.

2) I personally don’t think that symbols are put in films on purpose. I think directors end up putting those symbols in movies unintentionally and its the audience who gives meaning to those scenes. Of course some directors could purposely put those symbols into the movies and hope for someone else to notice them, so it can be hard to tell if its on purpose or not.

Well, the many symbols in the video were mostly there on purpose–the only exceptions might be the various long objects in 1933’s King Kong, and the crystals in the Superman movies (not use in Man of Steel).

3) I think filmmakers use sex symbols in their films for a various of reasons. One reason is depending on the demography of a movie. If the movie is geared towards kids, they might add something that only adults would catch. Another reason is it can be used to enhance the relationship between certain characters.

4) I dislike the scene from the Lolita film where its her and Humbert in the car and she’s eating the banana while looking at him. The whole scene was just uncomfortable to watch

The film has other scenes guaranteed to make you even more uncomfortable–deliberately, to hit home the seriousness of what is going on…

#92803

Naureen Asha

1) An example of a sexual symbol is Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Belle is shown in the movie as being trapped in a violent partnership.  That is a situation, Naureen.  Where is the symbolism?

1)a) Yes, writers also use such symbols but expression of words are different when you read it so, the writers include symbols so that the readers can make an imagination with it and have different reflections on that specific concept.

2) I do not think that all such symbols are intentional because everyone has different perspectives so, when a filmmaker creates something, they might have a completely different view, however, the audience can consume it in another way because that makes much more sense to them.

3) I think filmmakers use sexual symbols to target the adult audience while making an appropriate line for all the other audiences. Also sometimes it works as a suspense and a blurry reflection that the audience has to make a connection with for the flow of the story. This does play an important role to make a film much more interesting for a wide range of audience.

4) I enjoyed the Red Hot Red Riding Hood (animated film). There when the girl was dancing, the wolf’s symbolically erect eyes scene was really funny.  Would a child watching it understand what is being alluded to?  That is the point of symbolism:  it is for people to recognize or not.

#92805

Andrew_R

1a. Not really

1b. Writer’s could use this to demonstrate a person’s inner emotions and drive. Symbolism can be used by directors and writers to push their message or simply as a motif.

2a. Sometimes symbols are used as motifs and are frequent but films like King Kong with huge skyscrapers, a lady in distress, and a primate directed by pure instinct sometimes objects could be confused with symbolism. This is not always a flaw in a film or a director’s choice of setting, although it would be interesting to see a director lean in to that direction.

2b. Inglorious Bastards, combat knives are used to scalp and later scar a Nazi officer. The Knife is used to bring vengeance down on SS soldiers. The main unit the film is centered around kills Nazis without regard but when using a knife we always see the past of a man coming back to kill him or to brand him. The movie does bring up the symbolism and uses guns for a majority of the violence.

In those examples, Andrew, the knives are literally knives to cut:   where is the sexual symbolism?

3. Filmmakers use symbols to push a message indirectly rather than trying to tell the audience, such as the femme fatale in a previous video. She uses her characteristics to push the men into a desperate state while she is seemingly interrogated. The filmmaker shows that she is cornered but she still has some level of control.   And the cigarette, the way she is holding it, implies sexual power–hence the symbol.

4. The first commercial is uncomfortable to watch, it pushes for a physical feeling rather than an understanding. Symbols can bring about hope, patriotism, or other emotions but they toying with a symbol changes the meaning of the message you are trying to give.  It was meant satirically, a funny way of dealing with symbolic shapes in innocent objects like a hotdog.

#92909

Angel Ordonez

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”></p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>1) Prior to this video, can you remember watching any movie or TV show  in which you sensed there was something being used as a sexual symbol? Please name the film and the object(s).</p>
    I recall Lola bunny being portrayed as sexy. It seemed obvious she was being portrayed to be a sexy figure in the movie, however, I didn’t understand why this was so. In the case of Space Jam, the sexualization of an animal was intentional. However, when it comes to plain symbolism, I recall SpongeBob’s home being called “Bikini Bottom”. Sexual; symbolism is all over cartoons.
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>1a) Do you think writers also use such symbolism or is it for films because they are a visual medium?</p>
    Oh for sure. I haven’t read the book myself but I hear there is a lot of sexual symbolism in, ” 50 shades of grey”. Sexuality is expressed in all mediums of art.m
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>2) Do you think that all such symbols are deliberate, or might there be times when a viewer can somehow see some extra meaning that was not intended by the filmmaker?  Regarding 1933’s <em style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>King Kong, modern viewers see many phallic symbols, but it is possible the filmmakers back then did not intend them.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>I mean, let us be realistic here. Multimillion dollar movies are produced and no one decided to check every detail? With the massive teams these productions have, thats Unbelievable. It’s all intentional. Remember, there is a set designer checking everything off.</p>

A very good point, Angel! 

(Though Freud, who wrote very scholarly about sex, famously said, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.”)

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>Please name a film and an object that might qualify as <strong style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>unintended symbolism <strong style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>if you can.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>I can’t. I truly believe it’s all intentional.</p>
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”><strong style=”box-sizing: border-box;”>3) Why do you think filmmakers may use sexual symbols?</p>
    Emotion/feeling adds context to the story. The writers choose to add sexuality into t he context.

And symbolism can replace things that cannot be shown.  There is probably more symbolism in a mainstream movie than in a porn film.     <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;”>4) Was there any scene in the video compilation that you enjoyed or disliked? Please explain.</p>
    It was a bit weird at certain parts but I didn’t hate it.   Faint praise, indeed.

#92940

Naila

1) Yes. In the movie Little Rascals. Alfalfa’s hair stood up when Darla kissed him on the cheek.  But Alfafa’s hair is famous for always being upright.   What was different this time?

1a) Yes Writers also use the same symbolism  Easy to say, but we need examples.  (I have some I was going to send out but haven’t yet.)  Can you think of any in the novel Lolita, or is something else you’ve read, Naila?

2) I believe it’s a little bit of both. It’s usually intentional when the director has established a relationship and sexual tension between two characters. Other times it can be the viewer’s own mind.

3) I believe filmmakers use sexual symbols so that not only does the dialogue tell the story but also the imagery. Very good answer!

4) I enjoyed hotdogs for homophobes. It felt like an SNL skit.  It was actually from the Conan O’Brien show many years ago.   I prefer to use only things from films, but this was too good to not share.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)