Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

• March 1 Slo-Mo (Slow Motion)
  • #89694

Prof. Masiello

Slow Motion “Slo Mo.avi” 49 minutes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omhf3deomb971m9/Slow%20Mo.avi?dl=0

Please watch the above compilation.

Questions for discussion:

1) Do you like slow-motion sequences in movies? Slo-mo is something films do use and literature does not. Whether you do like it or not or not, please explain why.

2) Was there any slow-mo sequence in the class presentation that you particularly liked or disliked? Please explain why.

3) Can you think of any slo-mo scene you have ever seen on your own, in your own movie-watching that appealed to or impressed you? Please describe where it was, i. e. in what scene in which movie, and why you liked it.

#93000

Alyssa skerret

1) I find slow-mo sequences in movies captivating, especially when they incorporate CGI. The combination of slow-mo and CGI enables viewers to catch every detail in the scene. Specifically, I believe a slow-mo shot with CGI can add more realism to a scene far more effectively than a slow-mo scene without CGI.

2) My favorite slow-mo sequence in the class presentation was the two scenes that focused on saving someone’s life. For example, in Zack Snyder’s Justice League , a young woman is being saved from dying in a car accident. The second film was The Untouchables, the baby is being saved as the carriage rolls down the stairs amidst a shooting dispute.  Those are great ones.  The latter was inspired by a famous silent Russian movie:  The Battleship Potemkin.  In this scene, you just need to start at the 5:00 part to see the similarity.  Warning:  it ends tragically…

3) In the ending of Thelma and Louise, the two best friends are in deep trouble with law enforcement and they seem to have no escape when they are surrounded by the police. As they realize that there is no way out, they decide to drive off the cliff. When this scene occurs, one of the detectives who was willing to help the two women is chasing them in slow-mo as they are driving off. In another shot, when they are off the cliff, the car is captured in slow-mo falling down.  A good one, Alyssa!

#93027

Mehriniso

1. I indeed like slow-motion sequences in movies because they give the audience specific and in-depth details so we can understand what’s happening in that specific scene better. I think it’s better to watch a scene in slow-motion rather than fast because when a scene is fast I think the audience doesn’t get all the message and it’s hard to watch every part of it when it’s not slow.

2. From the class presentation, I liked how the flash from “Zack Synder’s Justice League (2021)” is presented in slow-motion especially when he saves the girl because it gives the audience details of the scene and how it happened and how the girl was saved.   It’s too bad that Ezra Miller is so disturbed in his personal life that he has probably ruined his career.  He was very appealing as The Flash/Barry Allen.

3. In the TV series “Resurrection Ertugrul” the main characters usually shoot an arrow at the enemy to kill or wound them. This impresses me because when they shoot, the arrow is slowly traveling from the main character to the enemy in slow-motion and it hits directly at the enemy without missing a point. Then I think during the old times there were people that had these skills and knew those tricks to kill their enemy and get their bread. I feel like this movie might do slow-motion to highlight the importance of that particular scene.  And it looks cool, Mehriniso!

#93029

Mu Song

1. I like slow-motion sequences in movies. They always feel like something cool is happening or going to happen. I like slow motion because I feel like it really highlights the scene and allows viewers to see certain details clearly. Also, slow motion kind of implies super speed and I really enjoy super speed scenes.

2. Out of the presentation, I really liked The Matrix, X-Men, and Justice League. These were all movies I watched and enjoyed so seeing clips I have fond memories of was enjoyable. Especially, since all the scenes highlighted super speed were dramatic and had a cool sequence after.

3. In the Justice League movie, there’s a certain scene where the Flash was saving people from a building falling onto them but the style of slow motion was a little different and it was very visually appealing. The people are frozen in time while the flash is moving very fast and we only see blurs of him while he saves people.  Thanks, Mu.

#93044

Angel Padilla

1.) I personally really enjoy slow-motion sequences in movies. This is because in an action movie for example, I really like how slow motion sequences can emphasize the intensity of a scene. It can showcase really cool moments from the protagonist.
    2.) I really liked the slow motion sequence that was shown in The Matrix because it’s one of the most iconic moments in action history. A genuinely fun and creative scene to watch.
    3.) There’s multiple scenes in the movie Deadpool, where the protagonist is constantly killing people and it’s showcased in slow motion. It appealed to me a lot because it does a good job with emphasizing the protagonist’s personality as well as the tonality of what the movie has to offer.

At one point in one of the first two movies, doesn’t Deadpool literally say to start the slo-mo, Angel?

#93072

Tshari Yancey

1). I do like Slo-mo sequences I think it builds anticipation of the moment for a scene whether it’s good or bad. It always looks really cool when you can see every little detail of objects in a scene that you can’t normally see if the scene is shot at regular pace.

2). Not a dislike but I feel like the rob zombie film The devil’s rejects slo-mo scene could’ve been better if when the car getting closer to the cops would’ve shown it in regular speed to show the dramatics of the gunshots, it would’ve made the scene more gruesome being that it is a Rob zombie horror film.

3). My favorite slo-mo is from X-men: Apocalypse when the school full of the mutants blew up and   Quicksilver came just in time to save everyone one by one. It was orchestrated very realistically being that he is a speedster, the effects were amazing the explosion was still happening but he was able to move faster than it.  It really looked like everyone was frozen in time.

#93501

TravisBowry

1) Slow motion scenes done right are something I enjoy in movies. For example if something is moving fast towards the character and it goes slo mo to show the character dodging that’s cool to watch. Or slo motion for superheroes who move extremely fast.

2) My favorite was the QuickSliver scene in the Xmen movie. It shows how fast he he can move and its just a fun scene overall.

3) In the amazing spiderman 2 the scene where Spiderman is trying to save Gwen and its slow motion while he’s trying to save and catch her but then it goes back to a regular speed and shows her impact hitting the pavement

#93621

Kenneth Cao

1. I like slow motion sequences in movies because they are used to show a suspenseful moment.

2. From the presentation I think that the scene in “10, 1979” where two people were running to each other at
    the beach and it gives off a romantic feeling in the scene.

3. In the movie “The Million Dollar Arm” a movie where a group of boys in India who were recruited by a sports agent whose goal is to play in major league baseball. In the slow motion scene you can see the pitcher throwing the ball to the Indian boy as he successfully hits the ball. I like this scene because it signified all the hard work they gone through to achieve a successful result in the end.

#94326

Angel Ordonez

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px;”>1) Do you like slow-motion sequences in movies? Slo-mo is something films do use and literature does not. Whether you do like it or not or not, please explain why.</p>
    Some of my favorite scenes in cinema are in slow motion. Slow motion, especially In comedy films, can intensify the humor of the scene itself. Especially when the camera is up close to the actors face for a specific moment that is happening. For example, someone slipping off a banana in slow motion intensifies the comedy, especially when zooming in on the character’s reaction. The same goes for horror when thre “bad guy” walks in the room in slow motion. Iv’e noticed this strategy used a lot In film.
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px;”>2) Was there any slow-mo sequence in the class presentation that you particularly liked or disliked? Please explain why.</p>
    I am a big DC fan so of course I have to go with the justice league scene when the flash saves iris from the car crash. It was romantic and also a bit comical, especially when the flash grabs the hotdog and puts it out the way.
    <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 15px; font-size: 14px;”>3) Can you think of any slo-mo scene you have ever seen on your own, in your own movie-watching that appealed to or impressed you? Please describe where it was, i. e. in what scene in which movie, and why you liked it.</p>
    Yes! When I was younger I saw the movie 300 and the fighting scene between the spartans and the Persian army was wild. The battle depicted and the sound effects were insane. I posted a link below for all to see.

#94342

Naila

I like slow-mo for specific moments. For example, I like it when it’s used in action-packed movies such as The Matrix. However, I hate it during romantic scenes. I think it’s overly cheesy.

I didn’t like seeing 300 slow-motion scenes. I don’t really like seeing a lot of blood and gore. Seeing it in slow motion makes it worse.

The slow-mo scene that I was impressed with at one point was from a series called “The Magicians”. Using slow motion at the point that the main character chooses to sacrifice himself for his friends not only amplified the emotions of the moment but we also got to see in great detail how he performed his final act.

#94358

Rafi

1. I do like Slo-mo sequences I think it builds anticipation of the moment for a scene whether it’s good or bad. It always looks really cool when you can see every little detail of objects in a scene that you can’t normally see if the scene is shot at regular pace.

2. <span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”>My favorite was the QuickSliver scene in the Xmen movie.</span>

3.<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”>In the amazing spiderman 2 the scene where Spiderman is trying to save Gwen and its slow motion while he’s trying to save and catch her.</span>

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)