Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

• May 10 The last two videos on Cinematic Techniques
  • #94035

Prof. Masiello

PLEASE NOTE:

Since there are several questions and I want you all to participate, if you answer thoroughly in this Discussion
    folder, you will earn extra credit that will help boost your grade for the semester…

__________________________________________________________________________
    BW v color diegetic v nondiegetic re Cin III and IV

Regarding the presentations Cinema III and Cinema IV (please respond after viewing those presentations)

SPECIFIC TO CINEMA III (A through F)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rp6svwte6d9hz24z3slh7/CIN-III.avi?rlkey=s7y8mxwwrjfowt82fk9tl8h2p&st=o3i48nhp&dl=0    (This link was also Dropboxed to you.)

A) Students often avoid black-and-white (B&W) movies. Many film buffs would much rather watch a beautifully photographed B&W film than a run-of-the-mill color one. It certainly seems connected to age groups. Baby Boomers, everyone in the USA born between 1946 and 1964, grew up with many B&W movies in theaters, when movie-going was a weekly treat, and mostly B&W TV programs. When TV programs were in color, it was considered a big deal, and there would be alerts showing a peacock, saying “This program is brought to you in living color.” There used to be an actual question people asked: “Do you dream in color or B&W?” which now seems passé. (You might ask your parents and grandparents if they know that sentence.)

B) Where do you stand? How do you feel about B&W? Have your perceptions been in any way affected by the films we watched and the clips about the use of color that I showed?
    One more thing: There are many classic B&W movies that have been colorized to appeal to younger audiences, who usually have a disdain for B&W (and frankly might still not watch them because they are “old”). I could have uploaded a colorized version of It’s a Wonderful Life, but chose to show it to you as it was originally created.

C) Did you like or dislike any of our films because of their being in color or in B&W or was that not an issue?

D) Please explain two or three things about films that you may have learned with this video.

E) Please ask any questions that come to mind because of this video.

F) Please mention some clips you particularly enjoyed…

SPECIFIC TO CINEMA IV (G through L)

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/be4vzbl5em4by82lxma1k/CIN-IV.avi?rlkey=edau9qrm7pq8sctc03ylieapq&st=ltsdzusd&dl=0  (This link was also Dropboxed to you.)

G) Do you pay attention to the music in movies? Explain.

Due to a glitch, the caption for the film Saltburn, at the 32 min. mark, is unreadable.

It should say: “Non-diegetic: no music source shown. An amoral, 

scheming man celebrates owning the estate he murdered 

for by dancing nude through its many rooms.  

The song:  the 2001 disco-pop hit by  

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, ‘Murder on the Dancefloor.'”

H) What musical moments have made an impression on you
    in your own experience? Please provide examples.
    (Your responses do not have to only include film clips in my presentation, but whether they do or not,
    name them, please.)

I) In real life, there is only music if we play it or turn it on, yet in movies, we hear it almost anywhere. It’s a “movie thing.”

Does it make any difference to you if the music source makes sense, i. e. if you know where the sounds are coming from (diegetic)?
    Explain, please don’t just say yes or no…

J) Please explain two or three things about films that you may have learned with this video.

K) Please ask any questions that come to mind because of this video.

L) Please mention some clips you particularly enjoyed…

#94052

Alyssa skerret

A) Growing up I never took an interest in black and white movies, however, I’ve developed an appreciation for black and white films and become open-minded to those films since attending this course. The transition to color was indeed a significant shift, marked by the novelty and excitement of seeing vibrant hues on screen. However, I don’t think it’s solely about age groups; rather, it’s about exposure and personal preferences.

B) Personally, I enjoy color films more because I feel like we can see everything more clearly. However, in my opinion, black-and-white films may create a sense of nostalgia for baby boomers due to their cultural upbringing and early experiences with cinema.   However, as a child, I believe the first black-and-white film I watched was The Wizard Of Oz. Yet, The Wizard Of Oz is a black-and-white film that reflects Dorothy’s ordinary life in the beginning. However, the film consists of color when she arrives in Oz, which reflects her exciting adventure with the characters she encounters, from the yellow brick road leading her toward her goal to the Emerald City itself.  (Actually, the framing scenes on the farm are in sepia, and better referred to as monochrome.)

C) I didn’t have any issues watching the black-and-white films. However, when watching Lolita in black and white at the beginning, I was bothered at the idea that I was watching a black and white film, as I used to find them boring. However, I do enjoy watching black-and-white films now, they just have to be part of my interest.

D)

E) I have no questions related to the video, but I would like to know what made you interested in getting to know about cinematic techniques? I also like the movies added to the presentation. I plan on making a list of movies to watch from your presentation during the summer.  Even as a little boy who frequently went to the movies, I would be impressed by camera angles and music backgrounds, but I didn’t have the vocabulary to talk intelligently about the terms.   Literature uses only words.  Cinema uses various techniques which I felt would enable students to appreciate what they watch even more than before.  You will still have access the my videos (unless I fix them and then the links won’t work).   You are always welcome to write to me with questions about various movies. 

I am recommending two movie musicals to you:  Cabaret and Singin’ in the Rain.   They are superb.

F) I enjoyed seeing the films Saturday Night Fever and The Wizard Of Oz, as they are both my favorite films. Saturday Night Fever is my mom’s favorite film and she has had the biggest crush on John Travolta since she was a teenager. LOL.  

G) Yes, I pay attention to the music in movies, specifically horror films because it brings suspense.

H) Grease! The film Grease played a huge role in my childhood. I would always sing along with the characters and still do to this day. The songs “Beauty School Dropout” and “Grease Lighting” are my favorite songs from the film.  It is a great film that should be more critically acclaimed than it is.

I) Yes, because it can throw off the plot of the movie or it just wouldn’t seem appealing to audiences.

J: I learned that music plays a huge role in film whether it’s a scary movie or an action movie. Regardless of the genre, music is consistently utilized to enhance the depth and impact of the movie-going experience.

K: How would movies look like without music in the background to amplify the scene?  Well, the last video, Cinema IV, showed Psycho‘s shower scene both ways as an example.  The video also states that The Birds has NO music, and No Country for Old Men, has almost no music.  It can be done, but usually, ironically,  for suspense.

L: I enjoyed seeing movie clips from Frozen and The Wizard of OZ.

Thanks, Alyssa.

PS  The Saltburn clip, at the 32 min. mark, has an unreadable caption.   It should say this:

Non-diegetic: no music source shown. An amoral, 

The song:  the 2001 disco-pop hit by  

Sophie Ellis-Bextor, ‘Murder on the Dancefloor.’”

#94058

Mehriniso

A. Some people like old black-and-white movies because they remind them of the past. These movies were common when their parents were young, so they feel nostalgic about them. But younger people, who grew up with colorful movies and TV, might not enjoy black-and-white movies as much. Still, some movie fans like black-and-white films because they pay more attention to things like how the movie looks and feels. Even though people don’t ask if dreams are in color anymore, it shows how our tastes in movies can change over time.

B. As I have said above, I think B&W films bring back the old vibes. I think people tend to stick with colored [This word doesn’t apply to films.  Use “color.”] movies because they can relate to our lives better. Since we live in a colorful world, it’s easy to understand the films we watch in current days. When I watch B&W movies, I tend to think that during the old times, the world didn’t have color. It was just B&W.

C. I don’t have a preference for whether it’s B&W or color. I focus on whether the movie itself is interesting. In other words, if the beginning “hooks” me then I start to watch the movie. I think I got used to watching B&W movies ever since I took film classes starting in high school. The first film I watched that was interesting was “ The Fallen Idol” followed by “Psycho”.

D. One interesting thing I learned when watching the video is the use of horses. I found this particularly interesting because white horses are considered to be heroes. Horses are often considered heroes because they’ve been part of many stories where they help people in difficult situations.  Mehriniso, in the clip from Ben-Hur of the chariot race, the man is the hero and appropriately he has white horses.  There is an expression from old western movies that the good guys wear white.  Even in the movie where the horse is shown, we can see that the horse is helping the guys fight. Another thing I learned that was interesting is the use of filters in the 1950s when film producers had to use color filters to drawback the audience from watching a movie. I think this was a great strategy to gain more audience to watch the film.

E. I have no questions.

F. One clip I enjoyed was “ Superman: The Movie”. The reason I enjoyed this clip was because of the awkward conversation Superman had with the woman  [Mehriniso, Lois Lane is a very famous fictional character!]. Even though the clip was short, it got me interested in it because I wanted to know what was going to happen.

G. I sometimes do pay attention to music in films but not most of the time. I think my brain just likes to focus on the visual more than the hearing in films.

H. I haven’t had any musical moments when watching films.

I. Yes, it does make a difference when played in films, because the music is the most important thing that attracts the audience. I.e. putting the right type of music– specifically suspense– is the important part when producing horror movies so it hooks the audience and makes the movie interesting,

J. One thing I learned was the use of nonverbal communication in films. I think it was an effective way to show a character’s thoughts through actions. As they say, nonverbal communication is more honest than verbal communication. Another thing I learned that is used in films is the use of silence. I think silence is often used in films to create tension, emphasize a moment, or evoke emotions. It can draw attention to specific actions, thoughts, or expressions of characters.

K. Are there any limitations when producing a film – like the amount of thriller action that needs to be on a movie to be considered a thriller movie?  Filmmakers include things from the tropes of each genre.  Sometimes they mash-up different genres–like horror and comedy; sometimes they subvert the expectations so that in a horror movie, instead of a rainy day in a scary house or forest, the move can be in sunny weather with pleasant colors:  see the highly recommended Rosemary’s Baby from 1967…  Some filmmakers “push the envelope” and go into excess, like the Terrifier series, the Saw series, and the Hostel series.  They are called torture-porn and rely on gross disembowelment, decapitations, and jump scares.  There really are not limits except for censorship…  Thrillers, of course, must have suspense.  The sky is the limit. 

L. I enjoyed rewatching the famous scene from Psycho.  Did the music help?

#94059

Angel Padilla

A. To answer the question that people used to actually ask back in the 1940’s to the 1960’s, dreams for me have personally never been in B&W.

B. I personally don’t mind if a movie is in B&W or in color because regardless of how the movie looks like, it’s always going to further emphasize the tonality of the movie. For example, most horror movies that are in B&W could make the movie even more chilling compared to most horror movies in color and that’s mainly because of the type of atmosphere a B&W horror film would create.

C. I didn’t dislike any of the films I was shown this semester because of them being in color or in B&W. It wasn’t an issue for me at all.

D. I’ve learned how filmmakers rely on transitional tropes in order to cinematically represent the time of a narrative. For example, a calendar trope was used in Scarface and a newspaper trope was used in Citizen Kane. Another trope that was used is the airplane trope that can be found in movies such as Kill Bill and Indiana Jones. I also learned that most films utilize the switch between B&W to Color in order to emphasize the story’s narrative like The Wizard Of Oz for example.

E. Are there any TV shows that utilize the same transitions that we have seen in movies? I’ve seen the clock wipe transition in animated shows like Regular Show and Adventure Time for example. Regular TV shows on the networks probably do not use them much, but streaming series use cinematic techniques.   There was a TV show in the 1960s called The Man from U.N.C.L.E that frequently used the swish-pan transition.  Also, the amusing Batman series also from the ’60s used Dutch angles (tilted cameras) and comic book captions saying “Bam” and “Bif,”  something much later used in the cult film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (which I recommend–lots of fun!).   You can probably find clips of all these on YouTube.

F. I enjoyed the Star Wars: A New Hope clip which shows the wipe transition, as it is one of my favorite science fiction movies of all time. Furthermore, I really liked the clock wipe that was demonstrated in Babe, which is a childhood favorite of mine. I also liked how It’s A Wonderful Life was shown and how the fading to black transition helped explain how quickly time passed through a narrative lens. It just goes to show how effective transitions can be in the art of filmmaking.  Yes.  Not in literature, but in films!

G. I definitely am the type of guy to pay attention to music in movies. It has always helped me become even more passionate when it comes to music and it’s always been a hobby of mine to pontificate on the sound design of a movie.

H. Some of my favorite movie soundtracks are from the Star Wars movies. Especially that opening theme that plays in every Star Wars movie. It’s something I’ve always genuinely enjoyed. I also really like soundtracks from horror movies such as Halloween for example.

I. It definitely makes a difference to me if I know where the sounds are coming from because it plays into the immersion of a movie. Especially for when it comes to diegetic sounds, it’s always fun to hear more of the environment that a movie takes us to.  Interesting, Angel.

J. I’ve learned an aspect of sound design that is proven to be beneficial in the art of filmmaking such as dubbing. Dubbing is a post-production technique where audio is being spoken after filming happens. From there, the actors move their mouths and say things that aren’t coming from their actual voices. This technique is known as lip-syncing and a clip from Singin’ In The Rain displays this in an interesting way. This post-production process happens in other foreign films outside of America and has been used for ages. Furthermore, I also learned what non-diegetic and diegetic audio is. Non-diegetic sounds are sounds that come from the background of a movie while diegetic sounds are sounds that appear within the environment of the movie. A clip from Donnie Darko was shown where a copyright song is playing in the background while a clip from Deliverance showed two people playing a banjo and a guitar. Donnie Darko‘s clip displayed non-diegetic sounds while Deliverance displayed diegetic sounds.  Very well expressed!

K. Going back to our previous presentation, are there any other example of diegetic and non-diegetic sounds that we hear in B&W movies? I liked how Psycho was shown in the presentation but I’m wondering if there’s any good sound design specifically from old B&W horror movies?   Well, watch some.   They are classics for reasons.   Dracula, from 1931, begins with classical music, and that same music is used in the current vampire movie Abigail The Bride of Frankenstein from 1935 uses original, memorable music.  Please remember:  sound design is mainly sound effects, not musical scores.

L. I liked how the music swelled in for Dr. Strangelove since it gives off a very triumphant feeling. I also liked the clip from Apocalypse Now where it shows sounds of a radio inside the helicopter as well as the sounds of helicopter blades. After diegetic sounds are shown, “The Flight Of The Valkyries” can be heard playing in the background of the movie which would be a non-diegetic sound. I ultimately really like that song and love how it’s placed in other forms of media. I’ve seen it used as a cultural reference all the time.

Oops!  The Dr. Strangelove music in meant ironically because the atomic bomb just went off in contemporary and a pleasant WWII song is played for contrast and humor.  The atomic bomb would mean retaliation from Russia with a corresponding bomb in the USA!   Apocalypse Now‘s classical music is diegetic:  the reel-to-reel tape deck playing it is on the helicopter.  The dialogue preceding it in the clip makes that clear.  Check the video again (Cinematic IV).

#94176

Adonis C

I’m not sure what is being asked here. But to the last question, I personally don’t think I’ve ever had a black-and-white dream. At least as far as I can recall. 

I don’t normally engage in anything black & white, so I don’t think I have a stance… But considering I’ve been watching colored [color films]film ever since I was introduced to it, I definitely have a preference for it. I actually have a grayscale (black & white) function on my phone scheduled to turn on at a certain time every day, and whenever it comes to watching videos, shows, movies, etc., I often find myself turning the grayscale off so I can view in color. My perceptions of B&W have not changed much. Whenever I see it, I usually just associate it with older works. 

Not an issue for me. As I said, I normally associate B&W with “old”, but that did not affect my engagement, 

</div>

I learned the names of camera & visual effect techniques. One being the different kinds of panning and transitions like “swift-panning”. Another being “dissolving”.

N/A

“The Dark Knight”

SPECIFIC TO CINEMA IV (G through L)

It depends on how into the film I am, but I do find myself paying attention to the music in movies a lot of times. Normally the music used enhances the feeling, atmosphere, or setting being portrayed and more. Often they are also tied to specific characters, places, or things. These are usually called “themes” amongst audiences and fanbases. 

The song:  the 2001 disco-pop hit by

name them, please.)

I’d say some of the music from the Hunger Games series have made an impression on me in the past. Especially when it comes to a specific theme. Whenever I think “Hunger Games” and music, this theme and it’s variations always comes to mind. Here are some examples from the 1st & 3rd movie. Listen close.

Example 1

Scene: https://youtu.be/UxvyMiwhJWw?feature=shared

Interesting drums and violins

Song: https://youtu.be/QazAGtFX8z8?feature=shared&t=30 (0:30)

The upbeat tempo and feel of the music here was likely used to connote the adrenaline Katniss must have felt when urgently trying to find Peeta, unsure if he was still alive or not. 

Thanks for the clips!   Do you know that there is a free app to extract the audio from YouTube clips?  It’s called Easy Audio Extractor.

Example 2

Scene: https://youtu.be/wteTCr6Ry5I?feature=shared

Song: https://youtu.be/nf7EYSnCmmI?feature=shared (2:04)

This one was my favorite. From the 3rd movie, the triumphant horns, choir, and all other musical components involved, really captured the intensity of the situation. The once light-hearted Peeta is now brainwashed and crazed at the end of the movie. 

Example 3 (extra):

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006133/  You may want to sample James Newton Howard’s other work.  Often composers have a distinctive sound.

This is another variation from the first movie. The full song wasn’t played in the scene that the song is from. So you may not hear the chorus I’m talking about in that part of the movie. 

Song: https://youtu.be/mu9tij0WOZc?feature=shared&t=98

Thanks, Adonis.  Now, I will pay more attention to this music when I next watch The Hunger Games films.

I think it does make a difference. Take the scene I just described from (Example 2) for instance. If there was an actual choir/band within the scene playing that music, I think it would have amplified things a bit differently for both Coin’s speech and Peeta’s raging… If not more. Perhaps by making it eerier. 

I learned the exact names of musical techniques and types used in movies. Some which I was familiar with but did not know by name like non-diegetics. I also learned that lip syncing opposed to singing is done a lot more than I thought.

No questions.

The American Psycho clip (no, not in that way…) since it was a brief humor reminder of when I first watched the movie. And the In The Hall of The Mountain King” because I’ve been trying to find the orchestra music used in that scene for a while now, and the clip helped me. find it. 

</div>

Nice work!

#94312

Tshari Yancey

A). I appreciate both, B&W and Color films can still give a movie an amazing feel. I could be biased because I love movies but I would say that the shift to color made the movies have a flare which added to what is great cinematography.

B). Personally, I find black-and-white films fascinating and aesthetically pleasing. The choice of B&W can add a unique dimension to a film, emphasizing contrasts, shadows, and composition in ways that color films sometimes cannot. My appreciation for B&W films has been influenced by our class viewings and the clips highlighting the artistic use of color in cinema. Understanding the deliberate choices filmmakers make regarding color or its absence has deepened my appreciation for both mediums. The decision to present “It’s a Wonderful Life” in its original B&W format rather than a colorized version was a valuable one. It preserved the film’s historical and artistic integrity, allowing us to experience it as audiences did when it was first released.

C). The color or lack thereof in a film has not significantly impacted my enjoyment of the movies we’ve watched in class. While the visual style of a film can enhance its storytelling, my engagement primarily hinges on the narrative, characters, and overall execution. Some of our B&W screenings have been incredibly impactful, showcasing that a compelling story transcends the medium’s color palette. Conversely, not all color films have been memorable; the quality of the content is paramount. Therefore, while the visual presentation is an important aspect of cinema, it is not the determining factor in my appreciation or enjoyment of a film.

I also find B&W pleasing.  Let me recommend two versions of the same story:  The 1999 color film, The Talented Mr. Ripley and the B&W Netflix 2024 version Ripley.  They are both worth your time.  Then if you want to see a variation of the theme of someone aspiring to be more than he is through malicious means, try the 2023 film Saltburn (but be prepared for some shocking scenes).   

D) I learned usually when a flash back is shown it’s to show what the character is looking for in life is what I observed for example in Man of steel and Requiem for a Dream.

– Specialized lighting as well being a good indicator for suspension. I noticed it in the movie <i>Sin City</i> they used that as a technique.

E) No questions in particular.

F) I enjoyed seeing the Gentlemen prefer blondes clip because it’s always referenced in everything. I also like the segment with lighting monsters it’s a tip for me as a aspiring director in horror movies to know how I can highlight a scary creature in films.

G) Yes, I do pay attention to the music in movies. The score and soundtrack of a film play a crucial role in shaping the emotional and atmospheric experience for the audience. Music can enhance the narrative by underscoring key moments, conveying the mood, and providing insight into characters’ emotions. It often acts as an additional layer of storytelling, guiding viewers’ responses and helping to build tension, excitement, or melancholy. Iconic themes, like those in Star Wars or  The Godfather, become synonymous with the films themselves, demonstrating the power of a well-crafted score.

H) The classic main theme of Jurassic Park by John Williams is synonymous with the awe and wonder of seeing dinosaurs brought to life on screen. The music perfectly captures the grandeur and excitement of the moment when the characters first see the dinosaurs. Williams’ composition enhances the sense of discovery and adventure that defines the film.

I) The distinction between diegetic and non-diegetic music in films does make a difference to me, as it can significantly influence how I perceive and interpret a scene. In Guardians of the Galaxy Peter Quill’s mixtape provides diegetic music that not only sets the tone for various scenes but also serves as a connection to his past and his mother.

J)  I learned that hitchcock used a mix of children’s screams & natural bird caws to get that scene of suspension without adding any music and it was still scary. Also the No Country for old men doesn’t have a movie score and people rate it as one of the best films, I do think there’s suspension in just watching a character, when the audience knows their terrible that creates that atmosphere of “Oh boy, what are they going to do next? ” So your waiting at the edge of your seat the whole time.

K) What made hollywood eventually let Arnold Schwarzeneggar use his real voice in films?  That is an interesting question.  I assume it was that since he had a winning personality and people liked him as himself–with his own voice, of course–in the documentary Pumping Iron.  After that his acting career took off. 

L) I always like the scene in Ferris bueller where he sings twist and shout on the float and everyone on the street dances.

Best of luck in your future as a filmmaker, Tshari!   What a wonderful goal!

#94330

Angel Ordonez

A) My mother wasn’t a big fan of B&W movies. She said they always seemed boring to her. With that being said, my mom is more so into novelas and going to church rather than sitting down and spending time hunting for old B&W films. I don’t think she really gave them enough time for convincing.

B) So, at first, I was not a fan of B&W films. However, Lolita was a a film that really opened my eye to this approach of cinematography. It made me realize how much effort it took to make sure lighting and scenery was on point because there was no color. The use of textures and music played a big role in such films. Not to mention, my job pays B&W movies all day for customers to watch. [What job do you have?] It’s an older form of making movies but, mainly because of this class, I have a new interest In finding good and creative B&W movies. Some indie films are shot in B&W even today for that same reason.

It is easy for me to recommend the following B&W movies as they are all great ones:

Some Like It Hot

Citizen Kane

Sunset Boulevard

Strangers on a Train (1951)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Double Indemnity

Sabotour

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Casablanca

C) Did you like or dislike any of our films because of their being in color or in B&W or was that not an issue? This was not an issue. Though, at first, I approached these films as assignments, I later started to look forward to them. B&W films don’t get enough credit for what they offer. I would argue that B&W films are there own art form in cinema.

D) The use of “dissolving” between to scenes to make one coherant one is something I learned and will use in my YouTube endeavors. I recently started going back into our old drop box lessons looking for cool editing techniques to use for my own work. Also, using voice over to merge two different scenes is another cool use. I am definitely going to keep both techniques in my arsenal.

E) Where do you find such editing techniques?

I see the results on screen and if I did not know the names, I looked them up.  For example, the wipes–like barndoor and iris–I saw all my lifebut did not know what they were called.

F) I particularly enjoyed the scene from “There will be blood” as well as the scene in “Psycho”.

There Will Be Blood is awesome.  Also, I HIGHLY recommend Chinatown (1974).  I can Dropbox that movie to you because I show it in my Comp II class.

Music in movies is actually one of my favorite things to notice. My favorite horror film, “Sinister”, has one of my favorite film scores of all time. The use of music to instill fear within the audience is actually why I love the movie so much.

Did you prefer the Psycho shower scene with or without music?

Going back to the movie, “Sinister”, the Lawnmower scene made a huge impression on me. It was the first time I saw particular scenes from the killers perspective yet didn’t know what was going to happen. The music is haunting and eerie only to lead to such a sudden abrupt loud scream showing the death of a family via lawnmower.  I will have to watch that movie again…

I) In my opinion no. The most important thing about music in cinema is to make sure it creates and/or heightens the mood of the scene itself.

Ok so I had no idea people lip synced in film for dubbing? That was a surprise. I also enjoy the use of music that the characters do not hear but that the audience does. This is a fun play with sound. I could definitely use this for my own filming.

A very clever use of lipsyncing to songs is in the 1981 movie Pennies from Heaven, a dramatic musical.

K) Are you the one editing these lectures together? What software do you use?

Yes, I use Premiere Pro and am self-taught (learning through trial and error).  I LOVE editing!

L) I particulalry enjoyed all the war scenes. Especially the “Full Metal Jacket” scene. I am a sucker for war films.

Great war films:  The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Apocolypse Now.

What are your goals as a filmmaker?   I would have loved to become a director or a DP (director of photography). 

#94334

Naila

I prefer colored films to B&W however if the storyline of a movie is great enough I don’t mind watching it in B&W. After watching the films in class I do have a few complaints about B&W movies. For example, it’s a little hard on my eyes. sometimes I can’t make out certain objects because of the quality.

I believe I would have enjoyed a sheet car named Desire better if it were in color

After watching the video, learned the different techniques of the camera movement/effects. For example dissolving and swift-planning. I also learned. I also found it interesting the way that horses are used in films

I particularly enjoyed the Batman clip.

I don’t really pay close attention to the soundtrack of movies unless it’s a musical. To me, it just sits in the background to set the mood.

I watched the sounds of music many times as a kid and thought it was a fun movie. However, since rewatching it as an adult I saw it for what it really was especially at the closing scene. The music as they ran up the hill was so light that I thought that the family was just moving in a fun way. Now with more knowledge, I realize that they were escaping despite what the music was suggesting.

Yes because the music is really what sets the vibe of any film. Even in silent film music is needed to convey the correct message.

I never realized that some scenes would just have music appear randomly while others would show a source.

I liked that Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham actually sang while filming because it bothers me sometimes in movies when I can tell that someone is lip-synching. I also like the Megamind clip, it’s always funny.  These are only for Cin IV   Where are your responses to Cin III?

#94356

TravisBowry

A) I prefer colored movies but as I’ve gotten older I learned to appreciate and even watch more black and white tv shows or movies if I have an interest in that show or movie.

b) From the clips in class my mind has changed and I could see myself enjoying black and white movies more now. They all seem to have a certain charm about them that more modern films don’t really have or I don’t notice.

c) I personally didn’t find any issues with watching any of the black and white movies we did in class.

d) The use of shadowing in a movie, or just how lights in general can effect a scene depending on the tone.

e)

f) I enjoyed the clips from the dark knight and twilight.

g) Depending on the movie I do pay attention to the movie soundtrack. The soundtracks to movie can make a scene much more memorable.

h) A musical moment that made an impression on me is from the movie baby driver. The soundtrack of the movie is a big part of the storyline and I always found that really cool and interesting.

I) Yes it matters in movies because depending on the type of music that is being played, it can set the tone for what type of scene is about to occur.

I enjoyed the clips from Reservoir dog, I personally really like that movie

#94365

Naureen Asha

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>A) Before taking this course, I didn’t like black-and-white movies. Some people like black-and-white films because they remind them of the past and make them feel nostalgic about their parents’ time. Younger people, who grew up with colorful movies and TV, might not enjoy black-and-white films as much. However, some movie fans prefer black-and-white films because they focus on the movie’s look and feel. The switch to color movies was a big change, and even though we don’t ask if dreams are in color anymore, it shows how our movie tastes can change over time based on what we’re exposed to and what we like, not just our age.</span></p>
    <b id=”docs-internal-guid-4ae88430-7fff-cddc-4323-cd948e5c9cba” style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>B) Color or black and white films are irrelevant to me personally because they always serve to highlight the film’s tone more than anything else. </span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>C) I had no problem with any of the movies shown this semester, whether they were in color or black-and-white. Because I focus more on the story and the plot than the color.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>D) I’ve learned that filmmakers use certain symbols to show changes in time in movies. </span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>E) I have no questions.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>F) I liked the clip “Superman: The Movie.” Superman’s awkward discussion with the woman was the main reason I liked this clip.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>G) Sometimes I notice the music in movies, but most of the time, I pay more attention to what I see rather than what I hear.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>H) One musical moment that really stuck with me was the beginning of “Jurassic Park” when they first show the dinosaurs. The music made me feel amazed and excited. </span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>I) Yes, I find it important when a movie’s soundtrack makes sense. I find that a movie feels more authentic and draws me more into the narrative when the music originates from something in the film, such as a radio or a character playing an instrument. However, music can become distracting if it appears to be added for the audience’s benefit without having any purpose in the film. Thus, I like it best when the music corresponds with the action on television.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>J) I discovered that conveying a character’s ideas through their actions may be done quite well. I also discovered that, whether it’s an action movie or a terrifying movie, music is really important. </span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>K) The amount of action in a film to qualify as a thriller, for example, is subject to certain restrictions. However, these guidelines are negotiable and subject to change based on the preferences of the filmmakers and the expectations of the viewers.</span></p>
    <b style=”font-weight: normal;”> </b>
    <p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>L) Rewatching the well-known Psycho sequence was exciting and fun. </span></p>

#94366

Jennifer C

a) Black and white films are pretty good especially for the time they were made. Most of those films were ahead of their time when it came to visuals and effects. I would say black and white films aren’t appreciated as much because of color now, but black and white films are the brith of films to reference from.

b) I personally do like some black and white films, I think they show and give that feel of a older generation feel and as well see the different styles and ways of talking back then.

c) It wasn’t really an issue because it exposed me to more films.

d) I learned how color, lights and background have an effect on a film especially when it comes to the story being told as well as how it would be put together in a film for people to watch.

e) got no questions

F) I enjoyed gentlemen prefer blondes and the batman films

g) I actually do pay attention to music only because sometimes it can help know what could happen next.

h) such as the jaws soundtrack, the music increases in more of a darker tone in which tells viewers something bad is gonna happen. A lot of the time I also notice that sometimes films won’t add music to a specific scene to order to give the viewer their own prediction, whether it can be good or bad.

I) I think music does matter because it sets the mood and the vibe of the type of movie you’re watching. I also think it makes the movie more enjoyable to watch because I don’t think a lot of people would be interested to see movies with only people taking to each other for an hour.

J) I learned that simple things like background and music help a movie a lot gain attention and as well create good films to watch.

I really enjoyed the American psycho clip

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)