Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Apr. 5 Romeo and Juliet death count

Prof. Masiello
    Participant

a) Why do you suppose the 1968 film version of Shakespeare’s play, Romeo and Juliet, has fewer deaths than in the original story?

It was not due to budget, time, or censorship, so why are certain dead characters in the play still alive in the film?

(By the way, it seems most or all of the other versions also omit certain deaths. It wasn’t just the director
    Franco Zeffirelli’s decision though his version may have influenced the subsequent ones.)

b) Please post your theories and whether or not you feel the fewer deaths is an improvement or not over the original play.

Tshari Yancey
    Participant

1). I think it has to do with censorship. In some cases, censorship or studio pressure may have influenced the decision to reduce the number of deaths in order to comply with rating guidelines or to ensure the film’s commercial success. In 1968, the film industry was subject to different standards and expectations regarding violence and tragedy compared to Shakespearean England. The filmmakers may have chosen to tone down the death count to appeal to a broader audience and to avoid excessive violence.

One missing death was dramatic in the play–but was the filmmaker’s decision to omit it effective?

The other death happens essentially off-stage and may not have been necessary.  Let’s see what others have to say…

Mu Song
    Participant

a) It might be because it makes the movie more enjoyable to a wider audience rather than filling
    the movie with murder focuses on other aspects of the story and has other previously dead characters play a contributing role.

b) I think fewer deaths is an improvement since it allows the story to take a slightly different course rather than the original where it was filled with deaths and misery. Especially for a movie intended for a more general public, it allows it to be more enjoyable for people who aren’t well-versed in Shakespeare. However, it does suppress the true tragedy of the story of Romeo and Juliet.

Let’s see what others say.   The main tragedy is the death of the two lead characters, of course.

Alyssa skerret
    Participant

A) Directors frequently reimagine the source material in original ways by incorporating their artistic vision into adaptations. This could be due to wanting to explore different themes, characters’ faith, or engage with contemporary issues.

B) As for whether fewer deaths improve over the original play, I think it depends on individual interpretation and preferences. For example, by reducing the number of deaths, filmmakers can highlight the romantic aspect of Romeo and Juliet’s relationship. Which may resonate more with audiences seeking a love story than a tragedy filled with death.

Yes, Alyssa, this film was made during the youth movement during the Viet Nam War when young people, in particular, followed the slogan, “make love, not war.”   The focus of this film is the love story, not the battles.  Romeo killing Paris seems unnecessary, and Romeo’s mother dying of grief is not going to change things as far as the deaths of the young couple.

Mehriniso
    Participant

a. The movie purposely left out some deaths, probably to make it less sad for younger viewers and highlight Romeo and Juliet’s love story. By showing less of Romeo’s mistakes and violent actions, the movie keeps him looking like a hero and focuses more on how the families’ feud causes the tragedy. This change makes Romeo and Juliet’s deaths even more emotional, creating a love story that’s romantic without being too sad, especially for teens who like stories about love and commitment
    b. I think the changes in the movie version of the play make it a better love story because it’s not as sad and emphasizes the romance more. A fight with Paris could have added drama and shown Romeo’s commitment to Juliet.

Sure, Mehriniso.  Romeo is shown as a charming romantic.  Vengefully killing Paris would blemish Romeo’s sweetness.   Paris was part of an arranged marriage by Juliet’s father.  He did not do anything worth being killed for.

Angel Padilla
    Participant

a) I think the intent of the 1968 film version of Romeo and Juliet has fewer deaths in order to further explore more of the topics that were placed in the narrative. Most directors often incorporate different perspectives of the story as a way to creatively express what they would do if they were to get their hands on the material.

b) I personally think that having fewer deaths in the story pretty much served as an improvement over the original play because we as the audience are allowed to see the dynamics of other relationships that are played throughout the film’s narrative. It was very fascinating and engaging.

Yes, Angel, the fewer deaths helped this version emphasize the tragic love story, which it very effectively accomplishes.

Kenneth Cao
    Participant

a. I think the implementation of fewer deaths in the 1968 film was probably to make it more watchable for younger viewers and to emphasize the more important deaths in the film such as Romeo and Juliet.

b. I think fewer deaths can enhance the original play because it makes Romeo’s and Juliet’s deaths more impactful while I think having a lot of deaths might weaken the plot of it being a romantic tragedy.

Your answers are very well expressed, Kenneth.

Naureen Asha
    Participant

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>1. I believe the filmmakers first target the audience’s wants and then fit it into the story. Time and plot here also makes a big difference and based on that they use their own idea and all the significant characters to portray a successful movie.</span></p>

<p dir=”ltr” style=”line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;”><span style=”font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial,sans-serif; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;”>2. In my opinion I think fewer deaths is an improvement because it did have a depth at the ending with the main characters. This connects to the main idea of the story which is the portrayal of a romantic story and the complexity in different relationships. So it led to catch the attention of the audience and helped them to connect the story more.</span></p>

Yes.

Naila
    Participant

<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”>Why do you suppose the 1968 film version of Shakespeare’s play, </span><em style=”box-sizing: border-box; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”>Romeo and Juliet<span style=”font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”>, has fewer deaths than in the original story?</span>

It was due to censorship. Maybe it would have been deemed as too violent. Also, it makes the movie tasteful for audiences of all ages.

I think that the decision to withhold some deaths improved the film. When someone thinks about the tale of Romeo and Juliet, the main theme brought forth is Forbidden Love. Therefore I think when creating a movie about it, we should focus mainly on the Love element instead of death.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.