Films from Literature ENG 2400 Spring 2024 0565

• Apr. 15 Team Staley or Team Blanche
  • #93744

Prof. Masiello

When you read the play, A Streetcar Named Desire, your perception of the two main characters may have been different from the way you felt about Blanche and Stanley as depicted in the film version.

A) Do you feel the characters came off differently from play to film?

B) Which character did you appreciate more in the film: Blanche or Stanley?

Here is the link again that shows the various trailers for the film (specifically from 7:00 till 13:32):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vul5vnirove2rho/Streetcar%20trivia%20nondisk%2020181.avi?dl=0

The above info may have some bearing on what you include in Essay 3, plays into movies.

#93746

Angel Padilla

A) The characters in the film are portrayed differently in the film compared to the play. Especially with the character of Blanche because in the play she is mainly misunderstood after confessing to Stella about the abuse she faced from Stanley. In the film, she is made out to be completely delusional.

Do you think it was because of how Vivien Leigh played Blanche or the writing?  Tennessee Williams, the playwright, also wrote the screenplay, so except for a small amount of censorship, the words were the same.

B) Well for one, I definitely appreciated Blanche more because Stanley, just like in the book, is a complete abuser who’s actions are unforgivable.

#93765

Mehriniso

1. The characters did come off differently in the play compared to the film. I thought about how Stanley was shown in the play compared to the movie version. In the play, he seemed rougher and scarier because of his accent and how he acted. When I read the play, I imagined him as not as good-looking and more tough, maybe with a deep, rough voice that made him seem even scarier. But in the movie, Stanley looked totally different. He was good-looking, with a smoother accent, and didn’t seem as tough as I thought he’d be. It’s like they changed everything about him.
    2. Although both characters did an amazing job with acting, the character I appreciated more was Stanley. In the play, Stanley seems bad because of what he does, but in the movie, he’s shown in a way that makes him easier to understand and like, especially when compared to Blanche. The character’s (Stanley) acting & the changes in the movie’s ending make him seem nicer, even though he still has problems. The movie makes Stanley seem more interesting because it shows both his good and bad sides, making him a more complicated character.

#93779

Tshari Yancey

A) I do think the characters come off differently in the play and in the film for starters, he play showed more of a reserved personality from Blanche, while the movie shows her as a mess. I could empathize with her in the play because she seems to now live humble from her past after her husband died then in the film. In the film version, I do appreciate the depth of Blanche’s vulnerability and the layers of her psyche as portrayed on screen.

B) Blanche in the film, even though she was a bit ditzy. She still tried to protect her sister from stanley sometimes even her being the victim of his abuse. I can understand Stanley’s point in Blanche’s lifestyle but to demean her when he isn’t so perfect himself and then to sexually assault her; showed how much of a terrible person he is.

#94046

Alyssa skerret

A) In my opinion, Stella’s character comes off differently from the play to the film adaptation of “A Streetcar Named Desire.” In the play, Stellas sticks to her loyalty towards her sister, Blanche, and her husband, Stanley, amidst their rocky relationship. For example, Stella seems to always take her husband’s side, Stanley, yet, at times, she feels for her sister. However, in the film adaptation, Stella is braver as she sticks up for her sister, every time Stanley is mean to Blanche. Especially towards the end of the film, she stays committed to sticking up for her sister after Blanche is taken away to the mental institution.

B) I appreciate Blanche more because her character has gone through many hardships. For example, she was sexually assaulted by Stanley, with him ultimately facing no consequences.

#94321

Mu Song

1. I think Blanche in the film felt less developed since some things weren’t really shown like her promiscuity but they were rather implied so she seems more sympathetic compared to the play. Also, her tragic past is diluted due to the censorship of the film so her character comes off differently.

2. I appreciated Blanche more than Stanley because I think she’s misunderstood and faced a lot of hardships. She had to suffer abuse from Stanley as well as being betrayed by her first husband. I think she went through a lot and was deserved better.

#94329

Angel Ordonez

<span style=”caret-color: #000000; color: #000000; font-family: -webkit-standard; font-size: medium;”>A) Stella’s portrayal in the play and the movie adaptation of “A Streetcar Named Desire” seems to be different in certain aspects. In the drama, Stella maintains her loyalty to her sister Blanche and her husband Stanley. For instance, Stella occasionally shows sympathy for her sister but mostly appears to support her husband, Stanley. However, in the movie version, she is more courageous and even defends her sister whenever Stanley treats Blanche unfairly. She remains dedicated to standing up for her sister when Blanche is brought to the mental facility, particularly towards the climax of the movie.</span>

B)I am team Blanche for sure. I agree with Mu Song when he says she is misunderstood sue to her facing alot of hardship and difficulties in life, including sexual assault.

#94337

Naila

I felt that Blanche was more flirting in the play and that Stanley came off as more aggressive in the play too.

Here I can say in the film I appreciated Stanley more. I think that the character of Blanche was diluted way too much for the screen. Especially leaving out what she found out about her husband. I think that that incident in detail plays a lot into her current state of mind so it should not have been left out.

#94345

Kenneth Cao

a. I do feel like characters do come off differently from the film since the novel was so in depth the film felt like it’s missing some elements that the original story had.

b. I appreciated Blanche in the film mainly because all the hardships she faced as opposed to Stanley who abused her and her sister.

#94357

Rafi

A.I believe the characters are portrayed differently in the play and the film. In the play, Blanche comes across as more reserved, allowing me to empathize with her as she seems to have adopted a humble demeanor following her husband’s death. Conversely, in the film, Blanche is depicted as more disheveled and chaotic. However, I do appreciate how the film captures the depth of her vulnerability and the complexity of her psyche, adding layers to her character that are vividly brought to life on screen.

B.I appreciated Blanche more than Stanley because I believe she is misunderstood and has faced numerous hardships. She endured abuse from Stanley and betrayal by her first husband. I feel she went through a great deal and deserved better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)