Films from Literature ENG 2400, Fall 2021 OL 0550

• 10/08 Slow Motion (slo-mo)
  • #75297

Prof. Masiello

A) Slow Motion “Slo Mo.avi” 49 minutes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omhf3deomb971m9/Slow%20Mo.avi?dl=0

Questions for discussion:

1) Do you like slow-motion sequences in movies? Slo-mo is something films do use and literature does not. Whether you do like it or not or not, please explain why.

2) Was there any slow-mo sequence in the class presentation that you particularly liked or disliked? Please explain why.

3) Can you think of any slo-mo scene you have ever seen on your own, in your own movie-watching that appealed to or impressed you? Please describe where it was, i. e. in what scene in which movie, and why you liked it.

#75299

Shania Tennant

1. Slow-motion is something I appreciate seeing in movies because it adds something additional to the story, and it’s always employed in a unique way or to stress something, in my opinion. The most I’ve seen slow-motion utilized in literature is when the author is describing an interaction between characters, such as when they explain how the world seemed to slow down while they were staring at someone and how the world seemed to pass them by in slow motion. However, it is more prominent in movies.

Yes, Shania, it is much harder to do in literature.

2. The slow motion in Enter The Dragon was one of my favorites since it highlighted how fierce the action was and allowed you to see everything the main character was doing. If the movie wasn’t shot in slow motion, the audience wouldn’t be able to tell what kind of fighting moves were being performed, and everything would go too quickly.

3. I immediately thought of a slo-mo moment from Zack Snyders Justice League, in which the actor who plays The Flash saves Iris from a car accident. I enjoyed how the filmmaker depicted the crash and everything that led up to it, then how the camera shifts to The Flash and everything gets slow, and he uses his powers to stop and stare at her or grab a hotdog that is floating in mid-air while everything is slow.

Yes, that is a very enjoyable scene.

#75304

weipeng lin

I do like slow-motion movies because I find them satisfying. Slow-motion can capture the importance of the scene that occurred. Whereas in normal speed shots you can’t see what happened if it even did happen. An example I would say is the Tv Show Flash 2014 when Barry Allen was put in jail for a crime he didn’t commit a fight had occurred with the inmates. The shots were in slow motion to show how fast the flash is.

In the film Spider-Man 2004, I find that scene cringe because I don’t like POV shots that are too close to the camera that is in slow motion I find that weird. But I do like slow-motion action shots because I find them exciting and it just grabs my attention. Also in the film Justice League 2017, I liked this part where the flash is in slow motion with the lightning effect this is what I mean by grabbing the audience’s attention.

Recently I watch the Squid Games 2021 Season 1 Episode 7 called “VIP” at the almost end of that episode the character Han Mi-Nyeo grabbed Jang Deok-Du so that they can fall together and die together because in the two previous episodes Jang Deok-Du promised her that we will have each others back but he betrayed her. Han Mi-Nyeo grabbed Jang Deok-Du at that moment to commit suicide so that they will die together because Jang Deok-Du broke the promise that they had. During that scene, the falling part was in slow motion. I find it satisfying because of how the glasses break and them falling in slow motion.

Thanks, WeiPeng. Try to use more examples from motion pictures rather than TV series, but I get your point.

#75305

Gabby

Slow-motion is very interesting, and I do like the idea of it when it doesn’t take up too much time. I feel like some movies overdo slow-motion to add more watch time to some scenes that will ultimately add to the total time of the whole movie.

The slow-motion scene of Zabriskie Point (1970) was extremely fantastic. To use slow-motion to present something so profound like the destruction of capitalism and consumerism is really amazing to me. It was a very good scene, and a very captivating way to use slow-motion.

Good comment, Gabby. It is interesting to me that the slo-mo in that film was analyzed and discussed more than the slo-mo scenes of today because it was much less common then. It is like organ transplants. When the first heart transplant occurred in the late 1960s, it made headlines. Now such operations are almost commonplace.

In the Matrix (1999), Neo (Keanu Reeves) is being shot, and is dodging all the bullets going his way. You can see the bullets go past him, and how it ‘rips’ through the air. I always think of this scene when I think of slow-motion.

Yes, Gabby, The Matrix has awesome slo-mo.

#75307

Justin Alava

1) Do you like slow-motion sequences in movies? Slo-mo is something films do use and literature does not. Whether you do like it or not or not, please explain why:
    I do like slow motion sequences in movies because it’s gives it a different type of feeling, and it’s gives you more time to analyze the clip in more detail.
    2) Was there any slow-mo sequence in the class presentation that you particularly liked or disliked? Please explain why:
    I really didn’t like the slow motion sequences presented in class because I really not into the movies that were given.
    3) Can you think of any slo-mo scene you have ever seen on your own, in your own movie-watching that appealed to or impressed you? Please describe where it was, i. e. in what scene in which movie, and why you liked it:
    I like the slow motion scene in “fast and furious: hobs vs Shaw”. It was the scene where the “bad guys” crashed into the bus, and the main villain slid across the floor on his motorcycle under the bus while it was crashing. I liked this scene because it shows the intensity of that scene

#75315

Prof. Masiello

Shania,

Yes, that Flash scene you described is quite fun to watch, and The Matrix has state-of-the-art slow-mo

#75316

Prof. Masiello

Justin,

The scene you described is memorable and now that you’ve seen it slow, it wouldn’t work at normal speed. Don’t you agree?

Also, I am surprised the clips from other action movies did not appeal to you.

#75318

Prof. Masiello

WeiPeng,

Sometimes slo-mo things, like shattering glass, work better because they are slowed down. Despite the extreme violence in the clips from Dredd, it was strangely beautiful and fascinating to see.

#75319

Elhamabuali11

1) I like slow-motion in movies because it tends to make certain scenes more intriguing or adds to the emotion being portrayed in that specific scene. It also slows down a specific event in a movie or show which allows me to really feel what the character is feeling and be in their shoes for a second.
    2) In the class presentation a particular slow-mo I disliked was the “Single Man” one. For me it just seemed to prolong the scene too much, and it didn’t seem to add anything to the scene. I was confused as to what the point was of slowing down that specific scene. It wasn’t an action filled scene and it didn’t add to an emotional scene either so the slow-mo seemed pointless.

I agree that it was not that impressive or meaningful.

3) A slow-mo scene I remember and liked was in the Thor Ragnarok movie, the Valkyrie flashback scene. It really seemed cool to watch because it was like a war scene and so much action was going on, but it slowed down to focus on specific characters. It focused on certain characters which allowed me to the pain and anger on many the Valkyrie’s faces while Thor’s evil twin showed evil and malice on her face. It really just zoomed in on some really action-packed parts and allowed me to understand the history behind the hatred Valkyrie’s had for the evil twin. Additionally, it made the scene look like something out of the Renaissance I ultimately liked the use of slow-mo there. There was a murder that occurred in that scene and it allowed me to feel the sadness and pain the others who were close to that person felt.

Good comments, Elham.

#75373

Angel Rivera

1) Whether I like slow motion or not depends on the movie. I like that it can make it easier to absorb details from the scenes it’s used in. However it can also make the scene tedious if it’s not used properly.

2) In the clip at 12:00, I liked this use of slow-mo because when the lady is killed, the slow-mo begins and transitioned her death into a meadow, symbolizing that she’s passed on. If there was no slow-mo, that transition would’ve been more difficult to implement, and her death would have felt less significant.

Angel, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?was a very interesting film about hopeless people. The head shooting scene would be too quick in normal time and it echoes the opening scene of the movie wherein a horse that falls and breaks its leg is shot–in slow motion.

3) A slow-mo scene that comes to mind is the bar fight scene in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. When a man was about to attack sonic, time seemingly stops, and sonic begins running at a slow pace. This slow-mo was used because without it, we wouldn’t be able to see what Sonic is doing because we’re too slow. He begins doing various things such as taking a selfie with someone else’s phone, and giving someone a wedgie. I liked this use of slow-mo because it added comedic effect to this scene in particular.

#75707

Steven Mendez

I like slow motion in movies because is something different and unique. I feel like filmmakers use it because to make sure the audience catches on details that they would’ve missed in real speed.

I like the scene from the movie 300 where they show them fighting and all the blood splatter in slow motion like to me that’s cool.

One movie that I love is Space jam and especially the scene when Michael Jordan dunks and it’s in slow motion him dunking over the monsters and his arm extending towards the rim. I liked it because i love basketball and michael jordan is one of my favorite basketball players and it was the game winning basket

Yes, Steven, slo-mo helps us appreciate the visuals we see.

#76166

Tatiana B.

I must say I absolutely do enjoy slow motion sequences in films. I feel that slow motion enhances dramatic scenes for instance, in Bonnie and Clyde 1967, slow motion is used for dramatic effects. Slow motion in films are needed to create dynamic and to breakdown important scenes. This allows the viewer a moments time to take in all the aspects of the scene before a high paced scene occurs.

Although I have not seen Inception 2010 in its entirety, I enjoyed seeing the super slow-motion scenes. The scenes provided a great visual effect of antigravity. I recall as a child the iconic slow-motion scene in the film Matrix 1999 being a major aspect of this films success. It is interesting to see that many movies have coined the term “bullet time” in lieu of the slow-motion bullet scene where Neo the main character throws himself back to doge the bullets. This iconic scene shows a great usage of cinematic freezing or slowing of a scene.

3) Can you think of any slo-mo scene you have ever seen on your own, in your own movie watching that appealed to or impressed you? Please describe where it was, i. e. in what scene in which movie, and why you liked it.

In the 1991 film Thelma and Louise , Thelma and Louise have done their best throughout the film to evade law enforcement. By the end of the film Thelma and Louise are now trapped by law enforcement at the edge of a cliff of the Grand Canyon. Instead of surrendering to a crime that was self-defense, both Thelma and Louise hold hands and kiss and ultimately drive off the cliff of the Grand Canyon together. In real life a situation like this scene would happen far too quickly, therefore slow-motion effects are used to slow and saver this moment. Slow motion in this scene helps to visually augment the car speeding away and the fatal fall from the cliff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)