ENT3310 Monster Shop, FA2015

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• El Pulpo Mechanico - Machine Research Project

Kate
    Participant

El Pulpo Mechanico

Last week I attended Burning Man Festival in Black Rock Desert in Nevada. There I’ve seen a lot of well made art mechanism. When I got the assignment for this class to find a machine that I like and think it is cool, I didn’t have any doubt what I will write about.

I want to share El Pulpo Mechanico machine with all of you. I love it! I was staring at this mechanism many times last week, and it looks cool and well made at day time and at night time as well.

El Pulpo Mecanico is a 25-foot-tall piece of art built in Humboldt County, California, created by artist Duane Flatmo.

Flatmo got the inspiration for El Pulpo Mecanico while visiting Mexico. During his travels, he saw a small metal octopus ornament.

“I brought it home and I decided I wanted to build a 25 foot one,” said Flatmo

El Pulpo Mecanico has been to four Burning Man festivals, as well as Las Vegas, San Francisco and a couple other tours.

The art piece is not computerized at all. It is completely mechanical and is controlled by Flatmo himself.
    “The “El Pulpo” is a combination of art and technology melded together. We built this knowing that it would be fun to watch as the giant cam spun up through the center moving the tentacles and eyes in and out while fire spewed from the tentacles and head. No hydraulics or computers were used in this contraption. We built the sculpture primarily out of recycled and used junk found at our local scrap yard.”- mentioned on the official website of El Pulpo Mechanico. (http://www.elpulpomecanico.com/project.html)

Prototype model:

el pulpo mecanico

The mechanism of this machine you can see on following videos:

on this video we see wheel and axle mechanism maks tentacles move

El Pulpo Mechanico is representation of simple machines, such as levers, pulleys, wheels and axles, and gears. Creators made this machine simple to operate and beautiful for gapers.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by Kate.

John McCullough
    Participant

Great machine. Lots of information about it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.